Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Default Amazing Spider-Man #40 (Preview)

Since Snoop Dogg is indisposed right now . . .

https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/exc...hance-podcast/

Behold!
    The spider is always on the hunt.

how much of a treat is Chance? never heard of him before didnt know he was apart of Spidey's list of villians
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    how much of a treat is Chance? never heard of him before didnt know he was apart of Spidey's list of villians
    He's from way back in the 1980s. Recently read his first appearance in the Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection "Venom," which collected ASM 298-310. He's a gambling mercenary who bets his pay against whether or not he can complete the job he's been hired to do. He completes it, he gets the money. He doesn't, no money for him. It's really the challenge of it he loves.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yeah, I think that's the main thing he's well known for-sharing an issue with the first appearance of Venom (Or at least his Eddie Brock half). Other than that he was partially involved in the death of Nathan, May's 1980's boyfriend.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Man this issue was soo good, love the fighting and man Spidey and Jonah relation continues to have great moments. and that there are 2 twists regarding 2 of Peter Supporting cast(one of Nick's new ones, and Norah whom I admit Nick is taking her to interesting places and showing her more of a flawed character, a far cry from the one i hated when the braintrusts days)

BANNED

This issue brings a lot of stuff together. It's one of Spencer's best written and his most fleet.

Jonah and Spidey are great.

I am a little concerned with Norah, but I hope Spencer eventually has her landing on her feet.

Now I'm very curious what is going on with Norah and the Chameleon, and what exactly each of their plans are. Since we're getting Boomerang's mystery followed by Kindred & Sin-Eater next, might be a while until we get an answer to that.

Popular Spider-man incoming? I will take it wonder whats Chameleon up to didn't like how he was used in the 2099 stuff
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Really liked this issue. Much better than the last few. Can't wait to see more of the Norah/Chameleon stuff.

BANNED

Happy to see the post-2099 rebound continue!

Spencer has gotten his ASM groove back and the book is bouncing along nicely again.

I really feel, though, that everything that's come so far is going to feel like just prologue once Sins Rising hits.

Even though it's been a year and change since Spencer's been on ASM, I suspect we haven't even gotten to the real meat of his run yet.

Based on how much I've liked his ASM so far (save for 2099), I can't wait to see the huge sh*t he's got in store.

It's gonna be a fun spring/summer for Spidey fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Happy to see the post-2099 rebound continue!

Spencer has gotten his ASM groove back and the book is bouncing along nicely again.

I really feel, though, that everything that's come so far is going to feel like just prologue once Sins Rising hits.

Even though it's been a year and change since Spencer's been on ASM, I suspect we haven't even gotten to the real meat of his run yet.

Based on how much I've liked his ASM so far (save for 2099), I can't wait to see the huge sh*t he's got in store.

It's gonna be a fun spring/summer for Spidey fans!
    It’s going to be hard to to judge Spencer’s run until the Kindred situation is settled. That will either make or break his entire run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    It’s going to be hard to to judge Spencer’s run until the Kindred situation is settled. That will either make or break his entire run.
    It's going to help define it, that's for sure.

And I do think that, once the reveal happens, that everything before it is going to look like Spencer was just treading water.

However it all shakes out, everybody will be able to have an opinion about it by mid-summer, I'd say. Maybe sooner!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    How Kindred works out will be a big part in determining Spencer's ASM run.

I'm with the others agreeing that the book's returned to form after the awful 2099 story strand.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    How Kindred works out will be a big part in determining Spencer's ASM run.
    In the short-term definitely. In the long-term, it would color it but I don't think it will undo the good stuff that's been done until now.

There are examples of a writer's run that builds to a big mystery and payoff that ultimately falls flat while all the stuff leading up to it, and the subplots and side-parts that were introduced as ephemeral and peripheral stuff, as padding, ultimately came to be valued and proved more lasting.
    -- Take Grant Morrison's New X-Men. Everything was built to climax with Planet X and Here Comes Tomorrow. A major plot twist (Magneto is a foaming-at-the-mouth baby-eating psycho and Claremont's Magneto was a mistake) sustained through that development, but most everyone agrees that this was a weak and terrible conclusion in concept (undoing the most representative and influential version of the character), and disappointing in execution (Scott and Emma making out on top of Jean's grave), to what had been a quality run until then. Morrison's run is ultimately valued for stuff that GM saw as peripheral and padded-in elements, or improvised bits, such as Emma Frost's romance with Cyclops and lasting turn as a heroine (Morrison included her because some fans asked him about her, he then looked her up and thought she was cool and he could use her), Quentin Quire and the Stepford Cuckoos, the secondary mutation bit (introduced because he couldn't use Colossus so he decided to make Emma Frost turn diamond, and introduced the secondary mutation concept to make it work), Fantomex and Weapon 10, the mutant sub-culture elements, Jumbo Carnation.
    -- Defalco-Frenz's run picked up the Hobgoblin mystery from Roger Stern and the major subplot throughout their story is building up the mystery of the Hobgoblin but ultimately today their run is valued for stories like the Alien Costume Saga (which opened their run), all the stuff with Mary Jane, Whatever happened to Crusher Hogan, the Firelord Two-Parter...whereas the Hobgoblin stuff in their run was negated immediately by Owsley and then later by Stern.

So even if Kindred doesn't become all that he is...we still have the Room-mate Boomerang stuff, the Spider-Man/Jonah buddy tragicomedy, the Peter/MJ stuff, ASM#29 (which is a great issue), HUNTED, the death of the Gibbon.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 02-28-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In the short-term definitely. In the long-term, it would color it but I don't think it will undo the good stuff that's been done until now.

There are examples of a writer's run that builds to a big mystery and payoff that ultimately falls flat while all the stuff leading up to it, and the subplots and side-parts that were introduced as ephemeral and peripheral stuff, as padding, ultimately came to be valued and proved more lasting.
    -- Take Grant Morrison's New X-Men. Everything was built to climax with Planet X and Here Comes Tomorrow. A major plot twist (Magneto is a foaming-at-the-mouth baby-eating psycho and Claremont's Magneto was a mistake) sustained through that development, but most everyone agrees that this was a weak and terrible conclusion in concept (undoing the most representative and influential version of the character), and disappointing in execution (Scott and Emma making out on top of Jean's grave), to what had been a quality run until then. Morrison's run is ultimately valued for stuff that GM saw as peripheral and padded-in elements, or improvised bits, such as Emma Frost's romance with Cyclops and lasting turn as a heroine (Morrison included her because some fans asked him about her, he then looked her up and thought she was cool and he could use her), Quentin Quire and the Stepford Cuckoos, the secondary mutation bit (introduced because he couldn't use Colossus so he decided to make Emma Frost turn diamond, and introduced the secondary mutation concept to make it work), Fantomex and Weapon 10, the mutant sub-culture elements, Jumbo Carnation.
    -- Defalco-Frenz's run picked up the Hobgoblin mystery from Roger Stern and the major subplot throughout their story is building up the mystery of the Hobgoblin but ultimately today their run is valued for stories like the Alien Costume Saga (which opened their run), all the stuff with Mary Jane, Whatever happened to Crusher Hogan, the Firelord Two-Parter...whereas the Hobgoblin stuff in their run was negated immediately by Owsley and then later by Stern.

So even if Kindred doesn't become all that he is...we still have the Room-mate Boomerang stuff, the Spider-Man/Jonah buddy tragicomedy, the Peter/MJ stuff, ASM#29 (which is a great issue), HUNTED, the death of the Gibbon.
    I’m not disagreeing with you that Spencer has had some good stuff in his run. I do like what he’s done since taking the reigns . It’s not easy considering all the damage control he had to take care of. That being said, he’s backed himself into a corner with this Kindred situation. By choosing to have it go on for so long, you’ve peaked the interest of everyone involved and he has to be careful this doesn’t continue for too long. The Kindred situation isn’t at that point yet but it’s definitely getting there. He has to deliver on this. I’m believe he can and have faith that he will.....but as Spider-Man fans know all too well epic disappointment can strike at any moment with this character.