Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Have you ever bought both flopies and trades?

Have you ever bough the flopies for a comic but also the trade for the flopies at a later date? If so, do you still keep the flopies?

Mighty Member

Yes and yes, but mainly for big event comics. I want to read the event in real time, then get a nice collection of the event for the shelf and re-reading (if it was a good event). I actually own Final Crisis in floppy, tpb, absolute, and omnibus editions, so I might have a problem.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I believe the only series I have done this for is Starman. The trade is easier for reading but I still collected the single issues as well.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Almost all of my trades are collections of single issues I have bought originaly.
    And I still have the single issues.

Fantastic Member

I've done this mainly when I have older comic books in my collection; for example, I own All-Star Comics issue 37, but I don't want to constantly get my grubby mitts all over it...LOL. Solution was an easy one - I have on hand a copy of All-Star Comics Archives that features that particular issue so that anytime I have a hankering to read it I can just walk over to my bookshelf and pick out that beautiful hardcover reprinting. I've done the same with some of the older JLA's in my collection (specifically my Justice League 21-22 featuring the first team-up between the JLA-JSA) with the series of trade paper reprintings they did back in the early 2000s.
    Last edited by Stingo; 02-20-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Yeah I had a bit of a bad habit when something was not on my pull list that I’d try out the first issue and then later pick up the trade.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Certainly! I only do this for stuff I REALLY like, though, or characters that I collect for. I do it for convenience, collecting, and to show support for whatever it is I'm getting. And I only buy floppies for old back issues. These days, if I want a single issue, I buy it digitally, so reading the trade in hand offers a different experience. And the old back issues I bought were often colored and printed with very old technology, and the trades recolor the comics, which also creates for a different reading experience. So, in that situation, it's useful to have both the floppies and the trades because they both offer something different, despite the stories being the same.

Retired

I never throw anything out, so of course when I buy a trade, I keep the floppies. How could I ever part with them?

Astonishing Member

I distinctly remember when they killed Jason Todd. I had bought the first three issues off the shelf for cover price. The final issue was bagged with a higher price by my then local shop the day the issue went on sale. Needless to say I bought the trade to have the whole story and probably have the three floppies somewhere.

I also bought collected editions of the 1970's All-Star series just to get the Adventure Comics stuff, although I had issues #58-74. It just made sense to get them all in one place. And I was sorely temepted to buy the trade of The last Days of the JSA from Ollies Discount even though I own all the books it collected,just so I could store it with those JSA trades to have the core Bronze Age Earth Two all together and at my fingertips.

I've sometimes gotten both (albeit not for DC series). I prefer trades and only get the floppies to support the series in question. I usually will give away the floppies at a later date, unless it's a special cover issue or something.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Wednesday Comics.

That newsprint felt so fragile, that I thought re-reading it as much as I wanted to would have led to disaster - a rip from folding, unfolding, or a coffee mug stain or something. So I bought the over-sized collected edition as a reading copy.

Yes. And yes. Prefer "floppy ".

Not yet, but Harleen was so good I'll definitely nab the trade eventually

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    Have you ever bough the flopies for a comic but also the trade for the flopies at a later date? If so, do you still keep the flopies?
    Depends on the book in question.

A) Do I have a variant cover that i really like or paid more than cover for

B) Whose book it is. I WANT to get rid of my Tim Drake run 126-180 but just can't for some reason. Same with Generation X.

C) What number that issue is. I am not parting with issue 100 & 125 of Power Man & Ironfist. Same with when I get a copy of Wonder Woman #750.

D) First appearance. Aside from Cyborg, Michael Holt, Amanda Waller & Black Lighting's daughters-I have pretty much all the notable black heroes at DC including Gravedigger and even the guy from Warlord. John Stewart's was the most expensive one. Everyone else I either bought it when it first came out or bins.

Fantastic Member

I did this with the series Robin Son of Batman, Superman Rebirth, and Supersons. I have also done it with the current Teen Titans run although I need to catch up on buying the trades. I only do this for books I really enjoyed and want to keep forever.