Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Can a fictional character be too powerful to be consistently interesting?

You have characters like The Hulk, Superman or even Goku from Dragonball. These characters literally have unlimited power. They are so OP that physical combat has become somewhat of an afterthought. Traditionally their are three ways to challenge a fictional protagonist physically, mentally, philosophically. Characters like these have literally grown to a strength level where physical combat is probably the least interesting thing you could do with them at this point. In other words, they have kind of taken physical threats off the table when it comes to interesting stories. Is this a good thing? You look at how popular characters like Spider-Man and Batman are. Though Batman is written way more powerfully then he should be? I say he’s still much easier to write. Hyper powerful characters like Thor, Silver Surfer, and yes even the Hulk, tend to eb and flow as far as interesting stories go. While Spider-Man and Batman seem to have an ironclad lock on the most popular superheroes title.

If they are too perfect and not flawed enough, then it's not interesting.

Astonishing Member

It depends on the environment, the circumstances, the story telling and the villains powers, but yes too powerful and you run into a corner as a writer. that's the reason why many superheroes are depowered once in awhile

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    CAN A FICTIONAL CHARACTER BE TOO POWERFUL TO BE CONSISTENTLY INTERESTING?
    For me? Yes.

It depends on the writers.

I am currently reading Superman from the early days. The 1940's. The sotries are not that interesting to me because he is so powerful he overcomes everything. I still enjoy them a little but there is no real threat. Kinda boring after awhile.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The question is framed in the wrong way. Any character that is only one- or two-dimensional will fail to be consistently interesting, no matter the power level. The key is characterisation rather than power level.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Lightbulb

Yes, if the character is multifaceted enough, has a strong supporting cast, and their world has enough interesting things for them to do. Take characters such as Batman, Spider-Man, Superman and Wonder Woman for example. All those characters have had rough patches but in the hands of a talented enough team, they keep producing engaging stories decades after being introduced.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

"This character is too powerful for me to write well" is an excuse by bad writers. Its really that simple. Same for those wgom can't fathom how to write a marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    "This character is too powerful for me to write well" is an excuse by bad writers. Its really that simple. Same for those wgom can't fathom how to write a marriage.
    I couldn't agree more with either of these statements. A truly creative writer can work successfully with any status quo. Those who need a "hard reset" before they even try are, in a word, hacks, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I couldn't agree more with either of these statements. A truly creative writer can work successfully with any status quo. Those who need a "hard reset" before they even try are, in a word, hacks, IMHO.
    Like dont get me wrong, golden age Superman is as interesting if not more then Silver Age because of his weaker status...but that just means Silver Age does new and interesting things instead.

But yeah. Alot of the "Man this powerful character is boring" is mostly because of merchandising based enforced status quoism. Look at DBZ, be nice is someone but Goku got the win. Wont happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Like dont get me wrong, golden age Superman is as interesting if not more then Silver Age because of his weaker status...but that just means Silver Age does new and interesting things instead.

But yeah. Alot of the "Man this powerful character is boring" is mostly because of merchandising based enforced status quoism. Look at DBZ, be nice is someone but Goku got the win. Wont happen though.
    Yup, either Goku or failing that (very rarely) Vegeta (usually with an assist from Goku) have to defeat every major foe or overcome every challenge. The other Z Fighters have mostly been irrelevant since the Saiyan Saga. There was that one time Gohan got to shine (the Cell Saga) but yeah, it didn't last.

Obviously no, since comics like Thor, Hulk and Superman have had long great runs over the last 60 to 80 years.
    And I got bored with Batman sometimes in the 90s. Spider-man has had some low periods also, like Sins Past and OMD.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    You have characters like The Hulk, Superman or even Goku from Dragonball. These characters literally have unlimited power. They are so OP that physical combat has become somewhat of an afterthought. Traditionally their are three ways to challenge a fictional protagonist physically, mentally, philosophically. Characters like these have literally grown to a strength level where physical combat is probably the least interesting thing you could do with them at this point. In other words, they have kind of taken physical threats off the table when it comes to interesting stories. Is this a good thing? You look at how popular characters like Spider-Man and Batman are. Though Batman is written way more powerfully then he should be? I say he’s still much easier to write. Hyper powerful characters like Thor, Silver Surfer, and yes even the Hulk, tend to eb and flow as far as interesting stories go. While Spider-Man and Batman seem to have an ironclad lock on the most popular superheroes title.
    I think certain characters get that accusation of being too powerful when other characters are portrayed as just as powerful because some people don't like certain characters.

For instance, the Flash has at many times been obnoxiously too powerful to the point he's punking Superman and it seems perfectly okay or mildly joked about. Same with the Green Lanterns.

I've seldom heard the Hulk being accused of being too powerful.

I don't know what's going on with Batman right now but at times he has definitely been ridiculously too powerful for his concept. Wolverine is another one that, the more popular he got, the more unbeatable he got.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I've seldom heard the Hulk being accused of being too powerful.
    Hulk's done some physics breaking things in the comics. Like punching a hole through time, breaking planets, you name it he can punch it to death.