Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

All I can say is that, if you are a B-grade or lower character in the Marvel Universe, you better run when an A-lister like Spider-Man is coming to take you on.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    All I can say is that, if you are a B-grade or lower character in the Marvel Universe, you better run when an A-lister like Spider-Man is coming to take you on.
    If it was Spider-Man versus Galactus then I can see the kvetching, but this is one of Galactus' heralds and not a really big herald like Surfer but a dude who calls himself Firelord. I mean I don't see what's the big deal.

The comic established that Firelord is a douche, an irresponsible moron who doesn't know and doesn't care about how his powers affect other people. He and Spider-Man battled it out and duked it across the city, causing collateral damage, with Spider-Man pushed up and beyond his limits.

This wasn't some simple one-panel KO, it was a sustained epic drawn out fight across two-issues.

Firelord: You dare...!
    Spider-Man: What have I got to lose? You've already been trying to French Fry me all day because of some imagined slight to your precious little, alien ego! Well, I've had enough! Enough! ... You may be bigger, and far more powerful — but that's just not good enough, Mister! You'll never stop me...no matter how strong you are! I'm just too stubborn to know when to quit! I'll keep on coming back...keep fighting...until I find a way to beat you! To win! I won't give you, you hear? I won't I won't!!
    — The Amazing Spider-Man, Issue #270, dialogue by Tom Defalco. (1985)

And again, I dare anyone to name another story with Firelord as good as this one. Would anyone be talking about Firelord if not for this comic, considered one of the best battles in Spider-Man comics?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    One of my favorite fighting from underneath Spidey stories of all time. "Spider-Man v Firelord" is second only to "Nothing Stops the Juggernaut" in terms of a true Spidey underdog encounter, IMO. Peter's "never say die attitude" his will to persevere in the face of (seemingly) insurmountable odds is perhaps my favorite aspect of his character.
    He defeated Juggernaut by outsmarting him.

He defeated Firelord by punching him.

The latter is a weak resolution to an underdog story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    He defeated Juggernaut by outsmarting him.

He defeated Firelord by punching him.

The latter is a weak resolution to an underdog story.
    Uh, to each their own, I still enjoyed it.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."