Page 88 of 109 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1622

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I've read the issue twice already, there is nobody cheering. Like one dude has his arm raised, but like you said the crowds are kind of a blur. What we can see of everyone else, they are serious and staying still and being respectful.

Unless you have a scan of something more clear cut, the evidence doesn't support your claim.

No, the article quoted by Tycon and AbnormallyNormal quoted pretty much sums of eloquently why this was a very interesting route to take. And it holds up better if the detractors have to make stuff up (like crowd cheering during Melody's fight because "blood thirsty") to tear it down.
    Just keep moving those goalposts down the field, why don 't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I mean, I personally think they could have done better than the Crucible in-universe. But as a reader? It’s great.

I don’t understand this notion people seem to have that it’s bad writing when characters make decisions we disagree with.
    Its bad writing when you completely disregard character personalities and histories just to tell a bad story. So far, Hickman's been doing a lot of bad writing.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Now......

Did we not ask for these “countless” other methods that you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Now......

Did we not ask for these “countless” other methods that you speak of?
    And to repeat: Already been covered. Go back and read them yourself.

And to repeat: Already been covered. Go back and read them yourself.
    And to repeat: my a$$ is not shifting thru 80 pages

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm not the one making stuff up that isn't on the page.

I'm not the one making stuff up that isn't on the page.
    No one made anything up, you just refused to accept the proof given.

No one made anything up, you just refused to accept the proof given.
    Unless you got a different copy of #7 than the rest of us, no "proof" has been provided to accept.

There is zero cheering from the crowd. Please post a scan of the panel you are talking about if it actually exists.

Unless you got a different copy of #7 than the rest of us, no "proof" has been provided to accept.

There is zero cheering from the crowd. Please post a scan of the panel you are talking about if it actually exists.
    Like I said, just keep carrying those goalposts away.
    There's cheering figures. What more do you want, a whole data page about it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    But we know how this came about? Nightcrawler even says that apocalypse is solution was basically a compromised because the council couldn't decide what to do with the depowered mutants they were basically in a Deadlock. Apocalypse's way was the compromise and obviously satisfied enough people on the QC to get a majority vote.
    A compromise assumes alternatives were mentioned yet nobody here knows about them and nobody is talking about it. Which they should be when the Crucible was occurring right in front of them. So either this is bad writing or something else is afoot and I don't think this is bad writing.

Also this. The X-Men franchise is filled to the brim with these characters making odd and very gray moral decisions.

Claremont alone did a lot of weird and controversial stuff. We wouldn't have the franchise we have now without that kind of story telling. This is not a more straight forward superhero narrative, and it never was. It's most iconic storylines revolve around the lead heroine going insane with power and committing suicide and a possible future where Mutants are in concentration camps.
    You're not supposed to side with the Dark Phoenix or putting mutants in concentration camps. Those aren't gray moral decisions.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 03-31-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Like I said, just keep carrying those goalposts away.
    There's cheering figures. What more do you want, a whole data page about it?
    I don't think this phrase means what you think it does.

And nah, I don't need a data page when I can just... look at the art in front of me. And one (1) featureless dude with his armed raise does not equate to "figures" cheering.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    You're not supposed to side with the Dark Phoenix or putting mutants in concentration camps. Those aren't gray moral decisions.
    They're not, but they're not safe superhero storytelling either.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 03-31-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Its bad writing when you completely disregard character personalities and histories just to tell a bad story. So far, Hickman's been doing a lot of bad writing.
    Continuity is overrated and impossible to achieve in full at this point. Internal consistency is more important, and so far Hickman and the Dawn of X team have been consistent.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    A compromise assumes alternatives were mentioned yet nobody here knows about them and nobody is talking about it. Which they should be when the Crucible was occurring right in front of them. So either this is bad writing or something else is afoot and I don't think this is bad writing.
    i mean it's irrelevant to know about these other choices because these weren't the ones decided upon.

I don't think we need a data page of a transcript of that particular quiet council meeting to know that the QC was unable to handle the mutants depowered by the Pretender an Apocalypse is solution what's the one that they decided upon to settle the matter. I would much rather like to know who voted for The Crucible and who voted against it I think that has more potential for drama

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    i mean it's irrelevant to know about these other choices because these weren't the ones decided upon.

I don't think we need a data page of a transcript of that particular quiet council meeting to know that the QC was unable to handle the mutants depowered by the Pretender an Apocalypse is solution what's the one that they decided upon to settle the matter. I would much rather like to know who voted for The Crucible and who voted against it I think that has more potential for drama
    I think it is very relvant know wha tother options they had in mind before going extreme option

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Pretty much any "solution" involving people being killed in order to be reborn is going to be innately "creepy" in some ways.

The Crucible is a way for the depowered individual to feel a sense of agency again, to "own it", own their fate, prove to THEMSELVES this is what they want and need more than anything else.

Now... you can say "should mutants care so much about being mutants" , and that gets into the whole allegory for racism or segregation again. Fair

But it's not as people are saying " a grotesque bloodsport , a carnival of horror, with cults forcing people to participate "
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Pretty much any "solution" involving people being killed in order to be reborn is going to be innately "creepy" in some ways.

The Crucible is a way for the depowered individual to feel a sense of agency again, to "own it", own their fate, prove to THEMSELVES this is what they want and need more than anything else.

Now... you can say "should mutants care so much about being mutants" , and that gets into the whole allegory for racism or segregation again. Fair

But it's not as people are saying " a grotesque bloodsport , a carnival of horror, with cults forcing people to participate "
    they aren't forcing, but there is a lot of social pressure into it. To be fully a mutant you need the powers and to get powers you need to fight to the dead