Page 100 of 109 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1622
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It seems that in King is Black some mutants can be seen in New York alongside human heroes.
    Which shows more of the inconsistency in the portrayal of human/mutant hero relations in larger Marvel books vs X-Men books. In the X-Men line it feels almost like they've forgotten their history with their (now) former friends and allies in some issues, while palling with their oldest enemies. It sometimes feels the only places where the X-Men are written like, well, their characters pre-Hickman is in the books that aren't about the X-Men.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    What they're literally doing is fixing their own mess. The world being in danger is the result of the actions of mutants. They don't get any brownie points or special praise for that, it's the least they should do. But it is funny that they feel they should screw over other nations and steal things that don't belong to them in order to fix their problems.
    Ok and? How many times have the Avengers had to clean up their own messes? But it's only a problem when you want to paint the X-Men the supervillains right? Let's discredit the fact that they're saving the world because they actually decided to set up boundaries when humankind was hell-bent on exterminating them right?

There's literally nothing stopping the X-Men and mutantkind from popping to the nearest Krakoa gate and heading to Mars or hopping on a Shiar space ship to the nearest habitable galaxy and living the bigoted mess of Earth behind except for the fact they actually care about the planet that they live on and the lives that live there.
    Last edited by loke13; 10-11-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Which shows more of the inconsistency in the portrayal of human/mutant hero relations in larger Marvel books vs X-Men books. In the X-Men line it feels almost like they've forgotten their history with their (now) former friends and allies in some issues, while palling with their oldest enemies. It sometimes feels the only places where the X-Men are written like, well, their characters pre-Hickman is in the books that aren't about the X-Men.
    The appearances of other heroes in mutant comics have always been punctual, there is no change.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The appearances of other heroes in mutant comics have always been punctual, there is no change.
    I don't mean appearances in the actual books, I mean their general attitude towards humanity. Without the non-X books there's not even a ton to suggest they even have friends outside Krakoa. There were some points in FF/X that you'd think they've always hated the Fantastic Four, and now with Storm and Wakanda apparently no longer being allies. Hopefully long term there will be less of that.

I don't mean appearances in the actual books, I mean their general attitude towards humanity. Without the non-X books there's not even a ton to suggest they even have friends outside Krakoa. There were some points in FF/X that you'd think they've always hated the Fantastic Four, and now with Storm and Wakanda apparently no longer being allies. Hopefully long term there will be less of that.
    Apart from Ben Grimm's poker games it's not like they had a great social life before.

Wolverine did and continues to do so, like when he went to a girls' night out with Carol Danvers.

The vast majority of their friends are in Krakoa so they remain in Krakoa. Before, at most, they left the Mansion to go to the pub next door.

I had just hoped the Hickman era would be more about building bridges with humanity from a new position, instead of burning them.

For all the people who say that Hickman "ignores continuity" ... Have you seen the last 40 years of mutant comics?

When have humans done anything to build bridges with mutants? They have been turning the other cheek for years and years and years. And humans have been killing them for years and years and years.

Xavier's exhaustion is the natural conclusion to so many genocides.

Which is why I hoped this would end up being the opposite of them being permanently at odds with humans. That now, with economic and political strength, that it'd be the end to the mutants vs humans stuff. Hopefully long term that's the plan.

Well, it is clear that the humans of ORCHIS and Russia are not willing for that to happen.

It's not like those exist independent of the writers lmao. Which is kinda my point: this COULD have been (and admitted may still be) an opportunity to build bridges instead of choosing to just do more of the same.

Mighty Member

That's really not a Hickman thing, that's more a X-men post claremont thing.

The dichotomy of how X-books act like how other heroes treat them and how not x-books treat them is like night and day.

Like Savage Avengers, Champions, Agents of Wakanda, FF and Captain Marvel are like "Yo, Mutants are dope and they're no different from other super heroes."

And the moment you stray into the X-circle then it suddenly becomes abrasive.

I guess that's fair, but it definitely feels like they either missed or are taking their sweet time on changing that from being the case. The reason I got onboard with Hickman is A: his pedigree and B: the prospect of a new, permanent (as permanent as comics get anyway) status quo of no longer being the "hated and feared". A year in and it more feels like "it's humans vs mutants, but this time the mutants are winning kinda sorta"
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 10-11-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

It's not like those exist independent of the writers lmao. Which is kinda my point: this COULD have been (and admitted may still be) an opportunity to build bridges instead of choosing to just do more of the same.
    They are giving away drugs that cure Alzheimer and many diseases, and all they ask is political recognition. Seems very much like bridge-building to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    What they're literally doing is fixing their own mess. The world being in danger is the result of the actions of mutants. They don't get any brownie points or special praise for that, it's the least they should do. But it is funny that they feel they should screw over other nations and steal things that don't belong to them in order to fix their problems.
    I don't think the inhabitants of Krakoa, except for Apocalypse, can be blamed by people who are thousands of years old wanting revenge for events that happened 3000 years ago or more.
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 10-11-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by c-lei View Post
    Get real. Wakanda was *NEVER* a major player in the X-Books. Only reason it really appeared was that shoddy plot attempt to marry Ororo off that pretty much fell on it's face because it was so bad.

And why on earth would the X-Men/Krakoa really need any sort of relationship with Wakanda when they have direct acess to the Shiar Empire itself?
    First of all, Ororo's past is in Kenya, so that always link her with Africa AND Wakanda at some point.

And second, have you forgotten that Wakanda has its own Galactic Empyre? (I still don't understand how is that possible, but it is). And the Shiar Empire? Like they could actually beat Wakanda. During the Secret Invasion of the Skrulls, Skrulls ended up butched in pieces and their ship was sent back to space with a message written in Skrull's blood: This is what happens when you thread Wakanda! So, Krakoa should REALLY watch its back because having Wakanda as an enemy (which Storm just did), is going to cost them dearly.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    First of all, Ororo's past is in Kenya, so that always link her with Africa AND Wakanda at some point.

And second, have you forgotten that Wakanda has its own Galactic Empyre? (I still don't understand how is that possible, but it is). And the Shiar Empire? Like they could actually beat Wakanda. During the Secret Invasion of the Skrulls, Skrulls ended up butched in pieces and their ship was sent back to space with a message written in Skrull's blood: This is what happens when you thread Wakanda! So, Krakoa should REALLY watch its back because having Wakanda as an enemy (which Storm just did), is going to cost them dearly.
    Yeah, who knows which writer is going to do what, but any one of the army of reality warpers of Krakoa could beat Wakanda easily. The Skrulls in Wakanda were just a part of an invasion made by an empire that had been mostly wiped out, and wasn't even their largest force. They didn't had an Apocalypse, or Magneto, or Proteus.