Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rumblers Get Promoted to 20th Level

The Plot Gods appear and offer you the chance to attain 20th level abilities in the D&D 3.5e class of your choice. The offer entails:

• You get all your stats raised to 18 and brought to full health (this includes regeneration if you’ve lost a finger or other part of your body).

• You can choose any of the standard D&D classes, or official NPC classes. If you choose Expert, specify which, for example Merchant or Sailor. They must be professions suited to a D&D world, so no 20th level Expert (Computer Programmer), for example.

• You get full 20th-level abilities in your class. All the skill, knowledge, powers and so forth. They work here in our verse, full on. That is, this stuff works for you; whether magic and powers work in our verse for anyone not given Plot God favor is another question.

• You get a key to a storage facility inside which you find 20,000 gold pieces (each one troy ounce), legal documents that the coins are yours and all taxes have been paid, and five random, beneficial (not cursed) magic items useful for your chosen class.

• If you’re some kind of fighter, your stash includes at least one magic sword. You know how to use each item. If you chose Wizard, your spell-books are also there (which also details how to effectively use material components found in our verse).

• You also find a deed in the storage room. If chose Paladin, you get a deed to a ranch where you find your war-horse; other classes get deeds to a property suitable for them. So if you're a Wizard, you have tower-like structure in a remote place. In each case, you find appropriate servants and retainers present there.

Some catches:

• There's no option for transportation to a D&D world. So you’ve got working D&D character powers in our world. (Although if you’re a Wizard you could try Wishing yourself to another verse.)

• Everyone who accepts this offer gets empowered. So you’re not alone in our verse with D&D powers. Additionally, there’s a Plot God dox, so we all know of each other, who we are, what class we’ve chosen, and so forth.

If you decline this offer:

• Plot Gods give you a pass key to a storage facility where you find 1000 gold pieces, each one troy ounce, and legal documents attesting they’re your coins, all taxes paid. This is your consolation prize. Also, you remain anonymous to your fellow Rumblers.

Do you accept under these conditions? If so, what class do you choose?

Do you attempt to interact with other 20th-level Rumblers?

What do you do with all the power you've been given? Become a recluse? Or engage the world with your new abilities?
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-21-2020 at 10:54 AM.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Oh thank goodness. I've gotten a 1st Level spell, a 2nd Level spell, got to 6th Level and now I can finally go all the way and get a full 20 levels of D&D 3.5 added on to my powerset!!
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Oh thank goodness. I've gotten a 1st Level spell, a 2nd Level spell, got to 6th Level and now I can finally go all the way and get a full 20 levels of D&D 3.5 added on to my powerset!!
    Dude... would I skimp on handing out the power levels? Or the loot?

I think I'll go for Wizard. I really want that cool tower in a remote location.

Also, (20,000 gps)(1643.00/ounce)= $32,860,000.

Our gold pieces are up $22.80/ounce today alone!

As a Wizard, I specialize in studying the outer planes, learning about the structure of the multiverse.

I wonder if we similarly minded Wizards and Clerics should collaborate on this project, using magic to investigate and model the structure of higher reality?

A spell-caster think-tank where everyone has an I.Q. of 180....
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-21-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

I ask the plot gods if I can use a different edition's 20th level class instead.

If they agree, then I go with 5e wizard.

If not, then I go with a 3.5e wizard.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    I ask the plot gods if I can use a different edition's 20th level class instead.
    If we're allowed to shift into related game systems, I've got some pretty sweet Pathfinder builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    The Plot Gods appear and offer you the chance to attain 20th level abilities in the D&D 3.5e class of your choice. The offer entails:
    Class, singular? SO I'm not allowed to do any Mystic Theurge/Archmage shenanigans?

If we're allowed to shift into related game systems, I've got some pretty sweet Pathfinder builds.
    3.5e

Class, singular? SO I'm not allowed to do any Mystic Theurge/Archmage shenanigans?
    20 levels, essentially. So you could be a dual-classed 10th level Wizard/10th level Fighter. However it works in 3.5e (honestly, I get the editions/rules confused sometimes, they keep changing and it's been awhile).

Basically, you've got twenty levels for a legal character, as though you had played in a campaign and built your PC up over time by the standard 3.5e rules.

I was thinking of these lists right here, but any rule-abiding 3.5e combination is acceptable.

Yes, official prestige classes are allowed. The Plot Gods are happy to grant such requests.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-21-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    If not, then I go with a 3.5e wizard.
    I was going to say that this not being a D&D world, all the advantages the Wizard had over the Sorcerer in D&D 3.5 would be lost, and the advantages of Sorcerers would be even bigger, but then I looked up the classes and saw I forgot that Wizards got 5 bonus crafting or metamagic feats.

So yeah, they're still pretty good. But Crafting, while a cool idea for a build wouldn't really work because D&D crafting relies on spending XP.

3.5e
    Meh. I've got some shenanigans I can work into that, but the good spells all cost XP where as in Pathfinder the cost items that can be bought with GP. And if I'm not fighting other players, I don't have anything cool enough to get me extra XP for me to spend.

20 levels, essentially. So you could be a dual-classed 10th level Wizard/10th level Fighter.

I was thinking of this chart right here, but any rule-abiding 3.5e combination is acceptable.
    I'm not breaking out the silly 3rd party prestige classes. They are all right there.

It was like a Sorcerer/Cleric/Mystic Theurge/Archmage build. I'd have to crunch the numbers on the most efficient way to divvy them up, but that's the idea. A ludicrous amount of spells per-day in exchange for not getting the top tier spells.

The more jokey answer for "maximizing power for the lols" is just level 20 Cleric, but of The MunchKING. That way I get the Destruction, Summoner, or War Purviews, but more importantly I get an extremely interventionist War God, who has me as his only champion in this realm. Loot and Divine power abound!

EDIT: Are we allowed to shift species, or just "Humans" for the base?

EDIT: Are we allowed to shift species, or just "Humans" for the base?
    You have your own body, but all healed up nice and fine. No more glasses or contacts, or bum knee, if you've got one. Lost teeth come back (too many bar fights!), all that jazz.

There's always "Polymorph Any Object," though.

It was like a Sorcerer/Cleric/Mystic Theurge/Archmage build. I'd have to crunch the numbers on the most efficient way to divvy them up, but that's the idea. A ludicrous amount of spells per-day in exchange for not getting the top tier spells.
    What are you going to do with all your powers in our world?

Somehow, I don't think you'll be retreating to your tower and just studying stuff.

What are you going to do with all your powers in our world?

Somehow, I don't think you'll be retreating to your tower and just studying stuff.
    I would if I thought I could get Epic Magic or stuff out of it. And I cast 7th Level Cleric spells, so I could make peoples' lives a lot better if I wanted.

But no... In order to learn Epic Magics (and maybe fund my Research on MunchKING's Improved Permancy) I will need monsters to fight. High level ones worthy of the passage to Epic. Thus we start with any of the Rumblers who are Evil and killing loads of Innocent people. They will make themselves targets, and a coalition of the Good and practicals alike will be willing to take those guys down. And I can loot their bases for THIER magic items to make myself more powerful. Then any other overly powerful evil things that are making a nuisance of themselves. Then we may have to look elsewhere. Either through the MunchKING's innate powers, or in-D&D means like "plane shift" to find other places that are being threatened.

The downside to that spread is I will need 3 more levels to get Epic Spellcasting to cast Arcane spells, and another 4 more to be able to cast Divine. I'm not sure there IS enough Evil on this world that would pose a threat to a 20th Level Theurge for me to get those kinds of levels.

It occurs to me that 3.5 did say I didn't have to KILL people to get XP, just overcome the challenges. I wonder if I could game the system with some kind of Rival program...

It occurs to me that 3.5 did say I didn't have to KILL people to get XP, just overcome the challenges. I wonder if I could game the system with some kind of Rival program...
    You've got twenty levels, but you're hungry for more. Now that's ambition.

Wish away the plastics in the ocean. Might be some good XP's there.

You've got twenty levels, but you're hungry for more. Now that's ambition.
    Well yeah, 21st level is when you are (if you have achieved the prerequisites) allowed to take Epic Spellcasting. And after that I can have the power to do what the GODS (of D&D) do, and make my own cool species!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

In this case, I take Wizard. 20th level, access to a host of high-level useful D&D spells including 'Wish' and 'Shapechange' (to get access to various creatures' spell-like powers and so forth), I figure I can manage to do a lot to keep myself and those important to me alive for a long, long time. Also making magical items. Also staying hidden and safe. And easily moving around the world to do whatever we want.

I'll avoid interactions with most people, due to the fact that I've seen that 'Rumblers getting enormous power' often seems to lead to power-games, fighting, and so forth, and I'm rather disinterested in all of that. If pressed, I send out a message that any attempts to draw me into a feud, politicking, power-games, or whathaveyou, will end with me devoting everything I have to simply erasing the offender from existence in the most expedient way possible (and I'll make sure I'm getting the right person thanks to all kinds of powerful divination magic, so 'make it look like it was THAT guy' is not a certainty) and then again withdraw from 'socializing'. <-- Hopefully it won't come to this, and I doubt it will, but I would like to make it clear I have zero interest in such things and will take it rather poorly if someone puts me in danger 'for fun'. ^_^ And really, I've seen how some people on the board can get once offered a bucketful of power (granted, it's all 'in-thread' and not real life, but this is 'in-thread' also, isn't it? ).

I will, however, be open to chatting if people want to be peaceful. Which, hopefully, they will.

I spend some of my free time lamenting the fact that I'm a 20th level D&D character and not a 20th level Anima character.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-24-2020 at 07:04 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate