Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Both immediately and over a long time.

Immediately, his input stops being a thing. So something he might have overridden (being an established micromanager) will go through unchallenged. That builds up over time, especially if his replacements go in a different direction.

It'll be years, however, before everything he has set in motion filters out the system and is fully replaced by stuff he had no hand in.

Kids aren't stupid. They know the difference between the main books and the kiddie books, and they want to read the main books. But the main books haven't been written for kids in 20 years. To use Dan DiDio's own words, the main books are for 45 year olds, and the Scooby-Doo books are for kids. If you really want kids to get back into comics, do what Marvel and DC did from the Golden Age up until the DiDio/Quesada years and make the main books accessible to kids. And that doesn't mean dumb them down and turn them into kiddie books. It means write each book as if it were someone's first, tell timeless "hero vs. villain" stories with characters kids can relate to, and - most importantly - sell the books in places where kids have access to them at prices they can afford.

His credit will disappear in a couple of months, based on how long it took for the changeover to happen when Cebulski replaced Alonso as Marvel's editor-in-chief.

Storylines will take at least a year, as we're told the first six months of 5G is already set in stone.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Yes im sure DC makes a profit of 4.99 billion dollars a year from an investment of $10m....
    No, he's not saying its a 10M investment, he's saying it's about 10M in overhead; the cost of payroll and utilities and advertising, etc etc. And the 5B includes merchandise, toys, and whatever else, not just comics.

I don't know how much it costs to run just the publishing, but comichron lists end-of-year unit sales for DC, and we can easily find the average pay rate for talent and could probably ballpark advertising expenses, so it wouldn't be too hard to figure out a very rough estimate of the publishing's overall profit. It'd be a very, very rough estimate, but if anyone cared to sit down and compile the data it wouldn't be that hard. To time consuming for me to want to bother with it, but someone could.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    Kids aren't stupid. They know the difference between the main books and the kiddie books, and they want to read the main books. But the main books haven't been written for kids in 20 years.
    Probably longer than that. I would say 1982 was possibly the last time that the majority of the Big Two's comic books were truly kid-friendly.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Kids aren't stupid. They know the difference between the main books and the kiddie books, and they want to read the main books. But the main books haven't been written for kids in 20 years. To use Dan DiDio's own words, the main books are for 45 year olds, and the Scooby-Doo books are for kids. If you really want kids to get back into comics, do what Marvel and DC did from the Golden Age up until the DiDio/Quesada years and make the main books accessible to kids. And that doesn't mean dumb them down and turn them into kiddie books. It means write each book as if it were someone's first, tell timeless "hero vs. villain" stories with characters kids can relate to, and - most importantly - sell the books in places where kids have access to them at prices they can afford.
    I agree. When my son was younger, we'd all go to the LCS and he hated the fact that "his" comics were a tiny little shelf while my wife and I had this huge wall of new comics to pick from. He wanted the real deal, not the kiddie stuff.

But even before graphic violence and rooftop sex scenes were a common sight in the main books, I don't think they were written in a way most kids would enjoy. Just like most kids dont want to watch a soap opera because they find it boring, I think a lot of comics today would end up in the same boat; even if the content was acceptable the structure itself isn't something they're gonna easily engage with.

Kids want stuff like Superman Smashes the Klan, not stuff like Bendis' Superman. Bendis hasn't done anything I wouldn't want my kids to see, but I don't think they'd find the stories themselves fun. Bendis just doesn't write for that age group.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

6 months for the bad and good things go away.

1 year for DC to look different, but "in flux".

3 years for a Non-Didio status quo.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Given the discussion about dissension with 5G? I’m wondering if they’re going to scrap produced books?

Astonishing Member

Why pull the plug when it's making you money in some form?
    Big companies do this all the time. Because the money it's bringing in isn't worth the effort. You could divert the resources for something that might make you bigger money.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySpectre View Post
    Heidi MacDonald from ComicsBeat corraborate BC report about Dan Didio departure:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/crisis-on...risis-too-far/
    Interestingly, while they both peg 5G as the final straw, they disagree over the specifics. ComicsBeat says WB got scared because they hated the idea of a new generation of heroes who don't resemble the ones the company is utilizing in movies and TV shows (specifically citing the replacement of Batman and Wonder Woman right as they both have new movies in the works), while Bleeding Cool says the exact opposite, that WB was onboard with 5G from the beginning as fodder for future media projects, and that it was specifically Didio's micromanaging on the event and the resulting negative impact on workplace morale that got him canned.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Jamal Ingel-who has worked at DC on and off since he was 17 years old pointed out on his Twitter-DC brings in about 5 billion a year from everything from comics, toys and other stuff. At most to run DC is about $10 million a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Yes im sure DC makes a profit of 4.99 billion dollars a year from an investment of $10m....
    Sounds like some 3am infomercial. "We can show you how to turn $10 million into $5 billion with these 3 simple steps...."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I agree with this completely.

Quote Originally Posted by 0nt1r View Post
    Given the discussion about dissension with 5G? I’m wondering if they’re going to scrap produced books?
    Doubtful because they wouldn't have anything to replace them with. Comics are planned pretty far out. It might last shorter than was originally planned though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Probably longer than that. I would say 1982 was possibly the last time that the majority of the Big Two's comic books were truly kid-friendly.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Based on this math, it would be over 38 years since comics were aimed at kids. Or to put another way, the majority of readers today have had their entire comics-reading life AFTER comics were kids-oriented.

Pointing this out because I feel like the argument that the comics industry has a problem because it's not drawing in this imaginary kids readership is baloney.
    My 5 godsons all got interested in their young teens and wanted the slightly more adult stories...which doesn't have to mean rooftop Bat-sex and frequent archer dismemberment. I think the new young adult novels are the perfect way to go because it addresses that entry point without dumbing down the material.

Similarly WB needs to be less afraid of taboo stuff like the Bat-peen. Let the adult material live in Black label for the older readers to pick up (hint: also the demographic with the most money to spend on their habit), keep the YA Novels as an entry point for younger readers, and the monthlies and trades as the common ground where everybody can find something.

9 months
    since we already have the info of the solicits for the next 3 months and those wont change and some of those on may reflect projects that last for 6 months I would say that we will have a completely free of Didio comic set around Oct/Nov