Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"Why would I want to wait and pay for a monthly book if I can watch weekly with sounds, pretty people and don't have to buy anything more than a subscription?"

Though after we discount those people, there are people who want to read comics, and they usually browse or show up here, Tumblr, Youtube, or Twitter asking for recommended books. Some went straight to DC Comics official Twitter or Facebook to see what comics are available. One or two people show up per month for each social media, usually.

They know where the fandom hangs out and DC's official pages, hence why they show up, and some already know about the monthly system and LCS, but some of them don't know that DC has a digital comics store.

Basically people who are interested in comics are already making the effort to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Same name, same costume, same powers, same villains, same sex, same ethnicity.

"The Flash" is the character.

"Barry or Wally" is inside baseball. Only nerds like us know the difference.
    Same codename, but not same name, Wally changed his costume up from Barry and never wore Barry's post-New 52 costumes, Wally had different powers then Barry, Wally had his own unique villains (that Barry co-opted, granted)...they may share a codename and legacy, but they are not the same character.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Same codename, but not same name, Wally changed his costume up from Barry and never wore Barry's post-New 52 costumes, Wally had different powers then Barry, Wally had his own unique villains (that Barry co-opted, granted)...they may share a codename and legacy, but they are not the same character.
    The Flash is the guy who runs fast in DC. Beyond that, unless they're already into the lore and know there's a Kid Flash, non-readers don't care. I didn't care before I read comics. Barry or Wally made no difference to me. The Flash is the fastest man alive, and that's all I was concerned about.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's inside baseball. Only turbonerds know about the slight power differences and slight costume differences.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    apparently, following the news of Dan's departure, ethan van scriver said that if 5G doesn't pan out they are going to close down DC comics in it's entirety. i may be misremembering but isn't that the guy that was fired from DC for wil'n out, stoking outrage and harrassment and whatnot? regardless this sounds like cap to me but it popped up when I was googling about any updates on the Didio story so I figured I'd share it here.
    I think people like to say and believe whatever is self serving for them. It suits Van Sciver's agenda to say that, and he could benefit from DC disappearing because it eliminates competition and will create a void. I, personally, won't mind if DC goes belly up either for similar reasons (actually the same reasons). I've heard it said that having DC around benefits indie comics creators, but I don't really believe that. They aren't doing anything for us. Maybe Image Comics people (who are kind of different), because they're selling in the direct market and DC brings in foot traffic to stores where they may have their wares. I've also heard it said that the comics industry will be just fine, but this is coming from people in the comics industry and store owners. Well, it's self serving for them to think that because if DC disappears it will cause a domino effect that will likely cost them their jobs, and who wants to think about that if they're in such a situation.

The truth of the matter is that neither side probably really knows. They're likely just pumping themselves up or encouraging themselves. With AT&T in charge, things are likely different, so the possibility of DC disappearing as we know it is there, considering the company doesn't bring in any real money. Honestly, the comics aren't really generating new IPs often (and even less that are worth a damn) and Hollywood writers can (and do) write their own Batman stories. They don't need the comics there for that. But what are the executives at AT&T thinking? You'd likely have to ask them. These other people on the internet don't really know.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 02-22-2020 at 07:54 PM.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    The general audience has confused the upcoming Avengers game with being part of the MCU. There initial complaints were that the characters didn't look like the MCU versions. I don't put too much stock in general audience.
    You're not getting it, tho. It doesn't matter what you value. It matters what the suits at Disney and WB value. It doesn't matter what sells in the comics industry. You think Marvel is using those X-Men sales $ to invest in more X-Men comics?? You think Marvel cares if Cap doesn't sell that well? Other media, memorabilia, etc are what really fund the comic industry. This has been known for a while.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    You're not getting it, tho. It doesn't matter what you value. It matters what the suits at Disney and WB value. It doesn't matter what sells in the comics industry. You think Marvel is using those X-Men sales $ to invest in more X-Men comics?? You think Marvel cares if Cap doesn't sell that well? Other media, memorabilia, etc are what really fund the comic industry. This has been known for a while.
    Do I think Marvel cares that Captain America isn't selling well? Yes I do actually otherwise they wouldn't relaunch number ones all the time to boost sales. Does Disney care at all about the comics arm? Nope. It's an IP story farm for Kevin Feige and the Studio arm.

It is an IP farm but i assume comic sales are still a measurement. They probably want to be cultivating bankable story ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The Flash is the guy who runs fast in DC. Beyond that, unless they're already into the lore and know there's a Kid Flash, non-readers don't care. I didn't care before I read comics. Barry or Wally made no difference to me. The Flash is the fastest man alive, and that's all I was concerned about.
    Hmm, not sure I agree with the dismissive tone. I think you might need to broaden your horizons, so to speak, when thinking about the audiences between "general" and "fanatic". I wasn't the biggest comic freak when I was a kid, but I at least knew that Barry Allen was The Flash prior to Wally West.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people who lurk wikis and lore videos but never actually read the comics themselves; I was one of these people for many years. You don't have to be a huge nerd to know who Barry Allen and Wally West are.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I agree with you about the multiverse approach, but I would bet money on Barry still being the #1 Flash for at least a few decades due to his non-comics presence in recent years. Now I'm not saying it's carved in stone forever like the Trinity (who will always be in the driver's seat), but Barry Allen as a secret identity of the Flash is far better known to the mass audience than any other of the Flashes. He was just in the cowl at the right time, I guess.
    I don't agree. When i ask people who flash is. they say, the guy that run and jokes. people who currently know are because of cw show. Even then internet has changed the game. Anyone who has become a fan that route and cares enough to just search. Would find wally and jay.
    They wanted a show set in the Arrow universe, where super-powers were a new phenomenon. With Barry they could have him getting his powers, learning his powers, creating the Flash identity, meeting all the villains for the first time. Basically, they wanted to start from the beginning. Wally going from Kid Flash to Flash is a "next generation" story.

Same name, same costume, same powers, same villains, same sex, same ethnicity.

"The Flash" is the character.

"Barry or Wally" is inside baseball. Only nerds like us know the difference.
    They were made the same character. Agree with you on people not knowing . They weren't before. Adaptation friendly is nonsense. People know powers exist. Just show death of barry allen (like bruce wayne's death). Kid wally and barry gets powers at the same time in the same accident.it can be like my hero academia even. Barry being wally's allmight and dieing or losing powers.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-22-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    They were made the same character. Agree with you on people not knowing . They weren't before. Adaptation friendly is nonsense. People know powers exist. Just show death of barry allen (like bruce wayne's death). Kid wally and barry gets powers at the same time in the same accident.it can be like my hero academia even. Barry being wally's allmight and dieing or losing powers.
    That wouldn't have fit into the Arrow universe, where super-powers didn't exist yet.

They wanted to do a Flash series that introduced the hero, his abilities and his villains one-by-one from the beginning. They didn't want to do a show front-loaded with lore, where the super-heroes and super-villains already exist fully formed.

That wouldn't have fit into the Arrow universe, where super-powers didn't exist yet.

They wanted to do a Flash series that introduced the hero, his abilities and his villains one-by-one from the beginning. They didn't want to do a show front-loaded with lore, where the super-heroes and super-villains already exist fully formed.
    I was saying in general. And in general people know superheroes have superpowers. It's common knowledge. It's like this, have a fantastic universe and start explore it with protagonist with an huge event like death of barry or retirement . They know more and more about the universe as they progress. Start of with a bang and peel of layers. You know like mcu,
    ""I am Iron Man". You think you're the only superhero in the world? Mr. Stark, you've become part of a bigger universe, you just don't know it yet."
    Wally debuted around the same time barry did in comics. Have wally and barry both be caught in the same accident. In the show they had lightning strike twice. That's not needed at all. Have wally meeting barry and the accident on the same day as a flash back.Just streamline things and bring the character back to the present, go from there.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-22-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    What I would like to see happen is Time Warner sell the DC Comics Division to Disney so we can finally get an official fully amalgamated major comic universe. I know many might disagree, but I think the interest generated by such a move is the only way to save the industry (actual floppies and digital books) at this point. Not saying it'll ever happen rather this is what I think needs to happen for the good of the industry.
    I'll take a hard pass on that. Last thing I'd want to see is Disney getting their mitts on the DC Universe. What needs to happen to save the industry is publishers focusing on telling good stories, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker Venom View Post
    I'll take a hard pass on that. Last thing I'd want to see is Disney getting their mitts on the DC Universe. What needs to happen to save the industry is publishers focusing on telling good stories, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every couple of years.
    I don't know, they can make better use of superman. These guys have run him through the mud.the character can be more that "what batman isn't" or batman's opposite or worse second rate batman's villain. They do this crap, batman-kewl, dark and superman-lame, light. Disney actively tries to make movies for kids that can be enjoyed by everyone and they have brad bird and pixar. Superman will be in better hand. This studio hasn't made a decent superman adapation. Even superman the movie has major problems. The best adaptation superman had was released by paramount, Imagine that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-22-2020 at 11:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    What I would like to see happen is Time Warner sell the DC Comics Division to Disney so we can finally get an official fully amalgamated major comic universe. I know many might disagree, but I think the interest generated by such a move is the only way to save the industry (actual floppies and digital books) at this point. Not saying it'll ever happen rather this is what I think needs to happen for the good of the industry.
    I don't think Disney would even be interested. Not to say that anyone wouldn't be interested in owning characters like Batman and Superman, but they already have Marvel and they haven't even mined all there is to mine there. They have yet to even touch the Fantastic Four or the X-Men. Plus they still have a full slate of characters getting their own movies or Disney+ shows: the Eternals, Shang Chi, She-Hulk, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, Blade, etc. And even then, I haven't even heard of any plans for characters like Alpha Flight or Werewolf by Night or even the original Ghost Rider. So, yeah, they have plenty to mine still with just Marvel alone.

If they did buy DC, which is unlikely because then I think the government would have to intervene cuz they'd officially become a monopoly, the best-case scenario would be that DC characters would be shelved for many years while they figured out how to fit them into their existing plans. For a crossover film to happen (again, unlikely), there'd have to be an established DC Film Universe and that can't happen if those characters are shelved. If anything, it'd be more likely that, once WB gets some more DC properties adapted into films, they could work out a deal with Disney to have a big crossover event movie just like how Marvel and DC used to do. But again, that's very unlikely.