Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    TV shows and movies are ephemeral, comics are forever.

Wally West will be the main Flash one day. It'll just take some time.
    I don't see it happening. They're practically the same character, but Barry is more adaptation friendly because he has the more straight forward origin, and the CSI angle to build around. With Wally you have to explain who Barry was first.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don't see it happening. They're practically the same character, but Barry is more adaptation friendly because he has the more straight forward origin, and the CSI angle to build around. With Wally you have to explain who Barry was first.
    Not necessarily. For example, the CW show could have used Wally as the main Flash and bypassed Barry altogether as the first. The average TV viewer wouldn't have known the difference (or cared, at any rate).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Not necessarily. For example, the CW show could have used Wally as the main Flash and bypassed Barry altogether as the first. The average TV viewer wouldn't have known the difference (or cared, at any rate).
    Sure, but then what's the point in using Wally at all? It would take Kid Flash off the table too, since Bart wouldn't make sense without Barry.

The Justice League/Justice League Unlimited cartoons took this approach because Wally was the current Flash in the comics - so they kept the name, but used Barry Allen's origin and job. Now there's no need for that.

Why do people keep bringing up the average viewer. We're fans not average viewers, so who cares about the general audience's awareness level towards these characters. They don't buy the comics, they're not invested in those properties and they wouldn't give a damn if DC closed its doors tomorrow. I don't understand why fans always bring up the general audience in forums about comic book characters.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    This.

Another option is that they could have just started with Wally taking the mantel and had viewers learned what happened to Barry as the story progressed. I mean that is exactly how the FLASH picked up most of the franchises fan base to begin with.

However, in saying that even if they choose to go with Barry that doesn't mean they also had to treat the character (Wally) and the fan base that kept the character/franchise around in the manner that they did.

It was/is all in HOW they did it not the WHY. (This statement is not pointed to anything you have stated in the post The Darknight Detective)
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Why do people keep bringing up the average viewer. We're fans not average viewers, so who cares about the general audience's awareness level towards these characters. They don't buy the comics, they're not invested in those properties and they wouldn't give a damn if DC closed its doors tomorrow. I don't understand why fans always bring up the general audience in forums about comic book characters.
    Because, like Reggie Jackson for the Yankees back in the '70s, TV.movies/video games are the straws that stir the drink (based on their far greater number of participants). Therefore, it's impossible not to bring up the general audience in any of these debates, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Barry at this point is part of the big 4.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    And it's always been weird to have a female hero take on the identity of a still active male villain.

You could give her a much needed name change, or have them debut around the same time: two Dr. Lights, one evil one good.
    What about Hikari? That's the Japanese word for light (which is why Mega Man's creator Dr Light is called Dr Hikari in MegaMan Battle Network).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    But he's not wrong.
    Relevant.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Barry at this point is part of the big 4.
    The Big 3 are the Big 3 for a reason that Barry can literally never achieve. Nor can Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    But they're not practically the same character.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    TV shows and movies are ephemeral, comics are forever.
    with all due respect, genuinely, but this is one of the most out of touch things I've ever seen.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    The Big 3 are the Big 3 for a reason that Barry can literally never achieve. Nor can Wally.
    Merch and exposure disagrees with you.

apparently, following the news of Dan's departure, ethan van scriver said that if 5G doesn't pan out they are going to close down DC comics in it's entirety. i may be misremembering but isn't that the guy that was fired from DC for wil'n out, stoking outrage and harrassment and whatnot? regardless this sounds like cap to me but it popped up when I was googling about any updates on the Didio story so I figured I'd share it here.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-22-2020 at 05:53 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    apparently, following the news of Dan's departure, ethan van Swriver said that if 5G doesn't pan out they are going to close down DC comics in it's entirety. i may be misremembering but isn't that the guy that was fired from DC for wil'n out, stoking outrage and harrassment and whatnot? regardless this sounds like cap to me but it popped up when I was googling about any updates on the Didio story so I figured I'd share it here.
    That's one of those things that (if I believed it) I suppose I should be upset to hear. But I kinda feel like if my characters are gone, what's the point of caring about DC surviving in particular? An altogether different comic company featuring different characters is basically the same thing as DC featuring all different characters to me.