Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Definitely a recommitment to DC trades (focusing on non-collected material), not using Amazon pre-orders to decide everything, like to decide what trades NOT to cancel at the last minute.
    A Print on Demand option for old Trades would be cool.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Why was numerous pitches with wally by various writers rejected?why wally was pushed into tom king as a suspect and finally made effing mass murderer in the hic instead? Why was wally mandated to be kept out of flash book after rebirth? There are tons of whys that come for the explanation of "playing the bad guy"
    Because Dan had a habit (IMHO a bad one) of freezing characters when he had a big creative team developing a pitch with them. See: Plastic Man, Firestorm. He also micromanaged the crap out of certain characters. You couldn't have paid me to work on Metal Men with Dan at DC. People more or less lost their jobs if they depicted Dan's favorites off model from how he wanted them.

I'm not saying the man was perfect. I'm saying the idea that he held down Wally West or Nightwing or Steph Brown or Cass Cain or Conner Kent was not for any of the reasons popularly supposed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    But his job ISN'T to troll people. It's to manage IPs. This is why he deserved to get thrown out. This is a business. If you're deliberately leaving money on the table to "troll" people than you are not running an effective business. It sounds more like he wanted to fight with fans than run an actual company. If that's the case, then good riddance. It sounds like AT&T saw through this childish nonsense and put a stop to it.
    This is a valid criticism. I'm not defending it. When you see people in comics say that Dan took unnecessary heat or blame, part of what they're talking about is Dan's belief that good business hinged on trolling the customer to evoke passionate responses.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    This is a valid criticism. I'm not defending it. When you see people in comics say that Dan took unnecessary heat or blame, part of what they're talking about is Dan's belief that good business hinged on trolling the customer to evoke passionate responses.
    Did he take heat for controversial opinions other higher up's did? I thought some of that was going on, to some extent, as a comic reader. Whenever a bad decision was made, Didio made sure everyone blamed him for it.

I hope for good things for our good ol' Wally West and his long lost family.

But well, with stuff like 5G on the road i don't see that ever happening lol.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    convterversial I know, but I hope they stop focusing on the direct comics market and focus on digital and trades, stop deciding whether a book lives or dies on how much it sells at comic shops.
    Agreed.

I want DC to start doing what Marvel is doing and start giving different characters minis or ongoings. I like what Trey Strain suggested and that was yearly mini's. And from those minis it alternates from different characters. And of course you keep making the ones that sell.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 02-26-2020 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    'm not saying the man was perfect. I'm saying the idea that he held down Wally West or Nightwing or Steph Brown or Cass Cain or Conner Kent was not for any of the reasons popularly supposed.
    At least as far as Nightwing goes, I have yet to figure out the business theory Didio and DC were following that somehow explains the last several years.

Seriously, if you have "business theory X" that shows the treatment of that character and book *weren't* because of a personal bias, I'd love to hear it, because I can't think of anything that explains it otherwise. And I really hate being one of those fans who accuses a professional of bad business just because I don't like something. But nothing else fits, that I can think of.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I want DC to start doing what Marvel is doing and start giving different characters minis or ongoings. I like what Trey Strain suggested and that was yearly mini's. And from those minis it alternates from different characters. And of course you keep making the ones that sell.
    Don't they already do that (or at least did it untill very recently).

Personally I would prefer Graphic novels over Minis.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Speaking of Jessica, will fans of DC Super Hero Girls or that animated movie that had Jessica in it be confused when we get another Green Lantern movie and it stars one of the male Lanterns?
    Some male heroes also appear in DC Superhero Girls, I forget but I think I saw John Stewart there, so it's less likely.

Other than DC Superhero Girls, there is also a lot more varied depiction of DC content outside comics, like the LEGO games, New 52 DCAU, GL animated series, Injustice... Injustice is very popular. Some people may still not see all the trailers, but that number will be even smaller.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

Barely. Most minis are non canon material.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Wally, dick and titans being treated right.
    Jon being turned back.
    This. Along with;
    Bendis' influence on the comics at large being curtailed.
    Less Snyder derailing characters (Batman Who Laughs infecting characters)
    Less doom and gloom (HiC being front and center for that).

Sadly, I don't expect much, if any of my list to actually happen (at the very least, not for a good while).

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Some male heroes also appear in DC Superhero Girls, I forget but I think I saw John Stewart there, so it's less likely.
    It's Hal in DCSHG.
    Other than DC Superhero Girls, there is also a lot more varied depiction of DC content outside comics, like the LEGO games, New 52 DCAU, GL animated series, Injustice... Injustice is very popular. Some people may still not see all the trailers, but that number will be even smaller.
    Hal is in pretty much all of these, though John popped up as an alternate skin and in the Justice League Dark animated film.

Jessica was also in some of the recent Lego films.

Hal, John, and Guy are all in Young Justice.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

A Print on Demand option for old Trades would be cool.
    Now that's a great idea. I won't hold my breath for that, but I'd love it. A win-win.

I don't have much experience myself with PoD books, but I assume it would be a quality option if they could do it.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Ultimate Member

Naomi-Yes and that was more to allow Jamal time to do other projects.

Image does it way more than DC or Marvel. Bitter Root & Sex Criminals are examples.

Speaking of Jessica, will fans of DC Super Hero Girls or that animated movie that had Jessica in it be confused when we get another Green Lantern movie and it stars one of the male Lanterns?
    I think not because we have now seen John, Hal & Jessica in the media to know there is more than one Green Lantern. You might see gripes about why is the movie not starring her but everyone will understand why there are others.

What would you have had them do beyond establishing there is more then one Green Lantern every time multiple GL's popped up on JL/JLU? Have the GL spot be rotating? I doubt John fans would've wanted that.
    Not everyone watched those shows.

If it was me-I would have filmed an opening scene with some Green Lantern recruits and a Guardian or John himself tell them about Hal's early days in the corps. While you might get complaints about John doing that at least you show him and explain this is an origin story about Hal.

If not that-why can't you do an animated GL special on the then WB?

Or do what Marvel did with Cap Marvel-before her movie came out we saw Monica's run as Cap Marvel in trade.

A Green Lantern trade with the best stories (or new ones) of Hal, Guy, Kyle, John & Alan could have helped.

So John got that treatment, Hal did, and now it's arguably Jessica's turn.
    Or do what Marvel is doing with Peter, Miles & Gwen-a team comic at IDW before an animated for preschooler cartoon show starts in 2021.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Now that's a great idea. I won't hold my breath for that, but I'd love it. A win-win.

I don't have much experience myself with PoD books, but I assume it would be a quality option if they could do it.
    Depends on who you get it from.

Unless you make x number of books and only make more when those are gone.

I would limit all books to 500 at the start.