Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    So it will take 6-12 months but DC will start cleaning up its own room. No more of the Wally is a mass murderer business and killing off Alfred nonsense. No more Superman loses his secret identity and Lois may or may not be cheating on him or whatever the **** is going on over in the Superman books. We will see a return to what makes superhero stories great and that's heroes on an adventure. Joseph Campbell type ****. This will start with a solid focus on DC's core character roster.
    That's assuming the person who comes in (if Jim Lee doesn't just take over the whole role) isn't worse. This industry is in a weird place, where it's IP's are bigger than they've been for decades but the source material is floundering, and the company heads have people to answer to who do not care about this aspect of the business, and have no reason to care so long as they can produce larger media adaptations.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Jim Lee is still co-publisher though.
    emphasis on "co". I am pretty confident this is upper management taking charge of their property.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Jim Lee is still co-publisher though.
    People keep bringing this up. While yes he's totally still co-publisher the question is does he want to be the main publisher. The only time I've read about him saying anything about the direction DC was going in was New 52 and he noped out after one year.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    emphasis on "co". I am pretty confident this is upper management taking charge of their property.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lee recently get promoted to what Johns was doing with the DCEU?

Doesn't seem likely he's going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The plot thickens. DC completely no-showed ComicsPRO yesterday, and the two execs there today made a swift exit when the news broke. And they found out when we did!
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ro-big-change/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...hange/fic1el0/
    also learned that in 2020 and 2021, DC is planning to move away from the traditional comic book talent pool. There is a quiet, concerted and deliberate effort to woo writers from the fields of TV and animation. The new, upcoming roster will include writers who have had success in those fields and are true fans of comics – but right now DC is courting new voices with different writing backgrounds. But only those who DC believes understand 'story' – and without the bad habits that may have doomed such outreaches in the past. The recruitment of novelists for their Kids and YA original graphic novels have proved very successful for the publisher, this will be the next step. No more returning to the same creative well…
    Now this is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lee recently get promoted to what Johns was doing with the DCEU?

Doesn't seem likely he's going anywhere.
    I didn't predict Lee being ousted. I am predicting corporate taking control of the editorial direction.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Not sure why fans are celebrating this is just the first domino
    AT&T is about to get DC comics
    Jim Lee might be getting his walking papers soon too if they find someone

If DC plans to move on from traditional comic book creators and more towards TV/Movie writers, then it seems unlikely that a Geoff Johns or Mark Waid would take over.

Jeph Loeb might be a candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Not sure why fans are celebrating this is just the first domino
    AT&T is about to get DC comics
    Jim Lee might be getting his walking papers soon too if they find someone
    Sometimes to fix something you have to break it all the way down and rebuild it. Obviously to make such a change Warner Media has intent to make some additional, more drastic changes with DC, which may be what it needs to survive.

Bye Dan. Don't let the door hit you where the dog should have bit you.
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    My predictions.

No, Bendis is not getting a promotion. He is gonna get his titles cut back if anything. Remember that getting Bendis to turn coat was Didio's big gamble. It failed. This is likely one of the factors that got Didio canned.

5G will continue uninterrupted. It was never going to be more than a 6 month thing anyway. Nothing much will change at DC until then. The restructuring will occur while 5G is happening.

There will be no new publisher replacing Didio for several months. DC will be managed by some sort of corporate entity while they scout for a new publisher.

After 5G we will get a "return to archetype" type of event. We will see a return to a mythic standard of storytelling. DC will get tightened up, characters will be expected to stay on brand. Stories will be expected to be of mythic appeal.

So it will take 6-12 months but DC will start cleaning up its own room. No more of the Wally is a mass murderer business and killing off Alfred nonsense. No more Superman loses his secret identity and Lois may or may not be cheating on him or whatever the **** is going on over in the Superman books. We will see a return to what makes superhero stories great and that's heroes on an adventure. Joseph Campbell type ****. This will start with a solid focus on DC's core character roster.
    If this happens I will cheer so loud...
    Just hope they don't wait too long to bring back Alfred. He was imho the best part of the Batman world.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

I would be lying if I said I wasn't moved.

Here's to a new era at DC.
    And hopefully, a better one!

As for Jim Lee, I really don't see them keeping just him at the top.

I'll start wishing for Karen Berger to be brought back now...

Riiiinnnng
    AT&T suit: "Karen Berger, we're calling you on behalf of DC Comics to ask if..."
    Karen: "Yes, I'll take it!"
    Then Uptown Funk starts playing.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Ultimate Member

I just don't think it's enough at this point. The best approach would be a company-wide, hard reboot. But even then I just don't know how you fix it.
    So how long do you wait to bring in Tim Drake, Jason & Damian? When do POC show up?

If you go back to day one-you alienate way too many folks who will pretty expect certain folks to NEVER be seen again.

Maybe stop worrying about continuity and just write stories.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

If DC plans to move on from traditional comic book creators and more towards TV/Movie writers, then it seems unlikely that a Geoff Johns or Mark Waid would take over.

Jeph Loeb might be a candidate.
    Honestly, with Fiege looking to change a lot of things at marel now that he's president, I could see Loeb accepting a job like that.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So how long do you wait to bring in Tim Drake, Jason & Damian? When do POC show up?

If you go back to day one-you alienate way too many folks who will pretty expect certain folks to NEVER be seen again.

Maybe stop worrying about continuity and just write stories.
    Well, in a hard reboot, you'd probably have things like Jackson Hyde being the one and only Aqualad - Garth doesn't exist. People like Vixen and Cyborg could be introduced from the start too, instead of being later additions to the JLA and Teen Titans respectively. That's where your POC come from.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman