Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 753
  1. #106
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    If Warner Media doesn't sell the television and movie rights with the comics division, then it'll never happen.
    Yeah, it'll likely never happened and isn't a perfect solution but I think it would save the industry (at least for several years). Let's face facts, Time Warner has terribly mismanaged DC both floppies and in other media. They have generated more misses than hits, being brutally honest.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  2. #107
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Again, this is my feeling. I think we're fast approaching the end of monthly periodicals for the comic book industry.
    indeed, it's just not sustainable anymore. It's been many years of the comic industry trending downwards in terms of sales and interest, due in part to quite a lot of stupid creative decisions by the people in charge of DC and Marvel, but also with the change in how people consume their entertainment, such as wanting things to be digital or lower pricing/subs and so on.

    the manga industry does show us that there is still a place for "comic" style stories and books, but ya, current comic industry has long since been not working

  3. #108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Yeah, it'll likely never happened and isn't a perfect solution but I think it would save the industry (at least for several years). Let's face facts, Time Warner has terribly mismanaged DC both floppies and in other media. They have generated more misses than hits, being brutally honest.
    The problem however is that Disney would have no interest in the comics division without the television and movie rights to go with it. Marvel Comics isn't exactly lighting the sales charts on fire, either. But the IPs provide Disney unlimited material for movies & television. If Disney couldn't do the same with DC's IPs, then there's no point.

  4. #109
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    So Batman?

  5. #110
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The problem however is that Disney would have no interest in the comics division without the television and movie rights to go with it. Marvel Comics isn't exactly lighting the sales charts on fire, either. But the IPs provide Disney unlimited material for movies & television. If Disney couldn't do the same with DC's IPs, then there's no point.
    Oh, I agree with you completely. The Comic Books themselves (DC or Marvel) are close to worthless (in the overall scheme of things) the IPs are where it is at.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  6. #111
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skullkid View Post
    I suppose Cassandra Cain becoming Batgirl again now has better possibility of happening.
    Nah. If Didio has one creative legacy, it's the degree to which DC has retrenched on the Silver/Bronze Age characters as the "real" versions, always to be reset to, after a decade or two of characters like Flash, Green Lantern, Supergirl and Batgirl being permanently retired and replaced.

  7. #112
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    161

    Default

    I'm kinda meh on this. I mean it's a shame when anyone loses their job and all but Didio to me was just in the end kind of a troll. I remember when New 52 started and there were so many questions and instead of being diplomatic about it him mocking people who were wondering where their favorite character ended up. I don't know who said it but "everyone is someones favorite character". That and the fact he couldn't figure out why people were buying older material than newer, writings on the wall at that point.

  8. #113
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    48,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I think there's a really good argument that Marvel's path of ignoring unpleasant continuity issues is a pretty solid plan for a line that big.

    Hickman on X-Men is selling through the roof and he really just went with "Hey, we found a way to resurrect people, and nothing that happened in the last three years was particularly important" and ran with it. And it's fun! It's fun to read, to discuss, to speculate about. Just imagine if Justice League or Justice Society or the Titans were telling big, fun stories whose purpose wasn't "here's how we're fixing continuity issues you may not know exist" or "here's how we're specifically moving you from one event to the next"?

    When JMS and Paul Jenkins revitalized Spider-man, they didn't spend months undoing or re-contextualizing the Clone Saga or Chapter One or anything - they just rolled with what was and moved it to what they wanted it to be. When Spencer started up ASM, he undid the parts of Slott's run he didn't like in three issues and then told the story he wanted to tell.

    I feel like if DC just started 2021 with "Ignorance is bliss!" as their new tag line and got back to basic storytelling, everything would be fine
    So kind of like the Geoff Johns approach, except he was a little more concerned about actually addressing the continuity issues.

  9. #114
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    ...and what would that achieve, other than wiping out a lot of marketable properties?
    Yeah, a from scratch reboot would mean reducing the line to just the original silver age heroes and unique identities created since then (i.e. the Teen Titans would still have Raven and Starfire, but Dick Grayson would be Robin and the other Robins wouldn't exist). Anyone who's a legacy character would be gone (since there's no way they'd take precedence over the classics), as would the Justice Society (for the same reason, Hal will always be more important than Alan). Bad move.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  10. #115
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, a from scratch reboot would mean reducing the line to just the original silver age heroes and unique identities created since then (i.e. the Teen Titans would still have Raven and Starfire, but Dick Grayson would be Robin and the other Robins wouldn't exist). Anyone who's a legacy character would be gone (since there's no way they'd take precedence over the classics), as would the Justice Society (for the same reason, Hal will always be more important than Alan). Bad move.
    They don't have too many marketable brands besides Batman, Superman, the JL, etc. The legacy and JSA stuff means more to the continuity crowd who buy the floppies and go to comic shops, and they are a dying breed.

    If they want to break away from that model to allow their IPs to make money in more lucrative areas than the increasingly irrelevant comics, stuff like Dick being Robin in Teen Titans would be expected. Robin is the biggest brand identity the character has been attached to, and you only really need to market one.

  11. #116
    Mighty Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,501

    Default

    Anyone else wish they just never messed with the Post-Crisis? Because that was the best version of DC imo, and he ruined that. I'm still miffed we don't have Stephanie Brown as Batgirl, and Babs got shoehorned into the role.

    Anyways, DiDio has been a source of why I have a hard time getting into DC for a long time. I can only hope things will improve. What do you think happens from here?

  12. #117
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    Post Crisis was in a precipitous decline which did need some kind of shake up, though the New 52 was an absolutely horrible attempt at it. And the precipitous decline essentially started with Didio's involvement.

  13. #118
    Mighty Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Post Crisis was in a precipitous decline which did need some kind of shake up, though the New 52 was an absolutely horrible attempt at it. And the precipitous decline essentially started with Didio's involvement.
    I don't think fully rebooting it was the answer though.

  14. #119
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I think there's a really good argument that Marvel's path of ignoring unpleasant continuity issues is a pretty solid plan for a line that big.

    Hickman on X-Men is selling through the roof and he really just went with "Hey, we found a way to resurrect people, and nothing that happened in the last three years was particularly important" and ran with it. And it's fun! It's fun to read, to discuss, to speculate about. Just imagine if Justice League or Justice Society or the Titans were telling big, fun stories whose purpose wasn't "here's how we're fixing continuity issues you may not know exist" or "here's how we're specifically moving you from one event to the next"?

    When JMS and Paul Jenkins revitalized Spider-man, they didn't spend months undoing or re-contextualizing the Clone Saga or Chapter One or anything - they just rolled with what was and moved it to what they wanted it to be. When Spencer started up ASM, he undid the parts of Slott's run he didn't like in three issues and then told the story he wanted to tell.

    I feel like if DC just started 2021 with "Ignorance is bliss!" as their new tag line and got back to basic storytelling, everything would be fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So kind of like the Geoff Johns approach, except he was a little more concerned about actually addressing the continuity issues.
    You two basically described exactly what I want in comics.

  15. #120
    Benefactor / Malefactor H-E-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They don't have too many marketable brands besides Batman, Superman, the JL, etc. The legacy and JSA stuff means more to the continuity crowd who buy the floppies and go to comic shops, and they are a dying breed.

    If they want to break away from that model to allow their IPs to make money in more lucrative areas than the increasingly irrelevant comics, stuff like Dick being Robin in Teen Titans would be expected. Robin is the biggest brand identity the character has been attached to, and you only really need to market one.
    I don't think general audiences have any specific notion of who Robin is. It's a codename and a costume.

    Robin might be a bigger brand than Nightwing; but, there's no need to kill the brand off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •