Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

I just heard the wonderful news and had to come in and celebrate with all of you. What a glorious day. It's like the Emperor got thrown down the well. Anybody got fireworks or at the very least a couch to burn? I'm gonna go pour myself a drink for this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Right, apologies, didn't mean to make it seem like I thought that's what you said lol. I was just seeing the word "reboot" thrown around by some and figured I'd put in my 2 cents if it came to that.
    It’s cool I get it, I just wanted to be sure it didn’t look like I was throwing around reboot.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...popular_mobile

Wow!

Rob Liefeld is a f*cking *********!

pretty much the only negative responce in that whole thing

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I personally think that someone contacted the upper people about his plans with 5G, and they weren't happy with the 'shuffling off' of all of DC's recognizable (moneymaking) heroes.
    They probably never really paid much attention to DC Comics before.

I suspect that may be implied by the article, as well.

And it will be interesting to see what exactly 5G will turn into now.
    It may end up being of as much significance as War of the Gods or Convergence, and forgotten a few months later.
    I said this earlier, and I'll say it again. Fans simply do not want to see anyone else as Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. They might - and I mean MIGHT - tolerate a new Superman and Wonder Woman for a short while, but they'll never get behind anyone other than Bruce Wayne as Batman. It's such a ridiculous thought process, and makes ZERO sense when Warner Media is moving forward with films and television shows with the original characters. I'm not saying there has to be 100% synergy between the comic books and adaptations, but there has to be SOME synergy between the two. And bottom line is that Marvel, who has way more fans and clout with those fans than DC, tried and failed with the same initiative just 5 years ago.

Maybe that's just backwards thinking on my part. Again, I'm willing to admit fully that I, as a 30-year fan, may be a big part of the problem. But deep down in my core I know the answer to fixing comic books isn't getting rid of Bruce Wayne, Diana Prince, or Clark Kent. There's a reason why these characters have endured for 80 years.

The Bleeding Cool article did give me the impression some of the issue with editorial that got Didio ousted involved resistance to 5G.

Ironic that Didio pushing for such a stark change from what he usually doubles down on might have been what did him in.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What prompted them to do 5G in the first place by the way? Shaking things up because sales are down? Black Batman, Batman's Daughter, and Son of Superman are the only things I know they maybe think they can sell. Well, the only thing I know are those three characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Bleeding Cool article did give me the impression some of the issue with editorial that got Didio ousted involved resistance to 5G.

Ironic that Didio pushing for such a stark change from what he usually doubles down on might have been what did him in.
    Just finish reading the article and my impresion was that, it was only a factor but not the only one.

this part seems bigger
    But in recent months, there seemed to be editorial backtracks on the direction given, details changes and a general sense of frustration that the clock was ticking and that nothing was being done. We saw a rapid departure in DC editorial of Pat McCallum, Alex Antone, Molly Mahan, Rob Levin and others. Could this have been a factor?
    I honestly had no idea that so many people had left the editorial
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 02-21-2020 at 09:54 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    What prompted them to do 5G in the first place by the way? Shaking things up because sales are down? Black Batman, Batman's Daughter, and Son of Superman are the only things I know they maybe think they can sell. Well, the only thing I know are those three characters.
    Bendis might have something to do with it. Bendis and didio have been working on jon for a while. Didio's aim was always getting a kewl superman. He tried with new52 without understanding morrison direction or any writer involved with new 52 superman.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

The feeling around the water cooler is that 5G was primarily being pushed by Brian Michael Bendis, as he was the biggest advocate of ANAD Marvel and its failure was what lost him clout with that publisher, ultimately leading to him to sign with DC.

I think poor sales of course are the driving factor into the initiative. I think the thinking is it's not the writing that's the problem, it's that fans are bored of the characters and they feel they can reach out to a broader, more diverse fan base if they replace the original characters with new, diverse ones.

Me personally, I think the problem is that the number of good comic books currently by all publishers is the lowest I've ever seen it, and there's neither incentive or reason for new fans to come on board or for current fans to stick around. Getting rid of the original characters won't fix that.

I dont think "Shaking things up because sales are down?" is he right excuse because anything made by either Marvel or DC could fall under that

specifically I think this is a product of Doomsday Clock mixed with a change of plans due to the switch on Kings run on Batman and the arrival of Bendis to DC.
    most likely an idea like this was already in the works but the stars werent aliened correctly, which is why Doomsday Clock was delayed so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...popular_mobile

Wow!

Rob Liefeld is a f*cking *********!

pretty much the only negative responce in that whole thing
    Everyone in the business is only going to say pleasantries and keep it professional.
    And people will be pulling Twitter comments 20 years from now and judging them by what they said.
    How they act now could potentially cost them a job decades from now.

Liefeld just doesn't care. He's already burned his bridges.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Amazing Member

I felt happy for this but who else should go? I mean DiDio wasn the only one who did terrible decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazai_Osamu View Post
    I felt happy for this but who else should go? I mean DiDio wasn the only one who did terrible decisions.
    no, apparently he was the only one according to some people on this forum.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

That was my read as well in that article. I don't know if it was reported too much about internal resistance to the idea. From the read it sounds like 5G will happen, probably because it's so far along and too late to pull the plug, but will most likely take the Marvel route where they wrap it up, sweep it under the rug, and publish a whole bunch of stuff to remind us of the good ole days while focusing on the "meat and potatoes" of it all and pushing hopefully unique ideas like Immortal Hulk.

No idea about whose idea it was but I think it'd be received a lot better if it was planned out better. Who in there right minds think people will respond well to the idea of replacing ALL the characters with people who have little to no ties to the titles. Some of the rumors like Captain Boomerrang Jr for Flash were just like how much were you drinking when you pitched that. Hell black Batman wouldn't be a bad idea if you used Duke instead of Luke. People kinda sorta like Duke. I've never actually seen people say they like the Luke Fox character, they always say they likes the original Batwing more, that's not a good start to a new Batman and fans. As for Jon, dude leave him as a kid. Seriously jumping two generations of heroes just looks dumb.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I wonder if Bendis is next. Wasn't it Didio who brought him over?
    Assassinate Putin!