Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Don't know how to feel,I never liked the directions he took especially with stories like identity crisis and heroes in crisis but on the other hand I'M NEVER HAPPY to see someone lose thier job at least he could have got a job at warner brothers.

Pretty unexpected. He felt so entrenched in his role that I thought he would stay there for many more years. My initial gut reaction is that this is just the larger WB/AT&T company looking at their comic division and maybe wanting to streamline it some. Focus on more TV/Movie tie in stuff. So comics might become even less important to them since they aren't a major revenue generator for the company as a whole. So while I was no fan of Didio I hesitate to celebrate.

Plus the last couple of years the sales at DC have not been good, especially their trade sales. They fell off a cliff. So it isn't a surprise looking at those sales that WB would make some more big changes. The higher ups probably saw the sales fall and gave Didio some time to try and fix things, but he couldn't fix it enough. So they decided to move on from him, or he got annoyed dealing with them and decided to walk away. Hard to say. Though I really have no idea what this means for things like 5G and possibly the new reboot that was on its way shortly after.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Meaning...?

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Pretty unexpected. He felt so entrenched in his role that I thought he would stay there for many more years. My initial gut reaction is that this is just the larger WB/AT&T company looking at their comic division and maybe wanting to streamline it some. Focus on more TV/Movie tie in stuff. So comics might become even less important to them since they aren't a major revenue generator for the company as a whole. So while I was no fan of Didio I hesitate to celebrate.

Plus the last couple of years the sales at DC have not been good, especially their trade sales. They fell off a cliff. So it isn't a surprise looking at those sales that WB would make some more big changes. The higher-ups probably saw the sales fall and gave Didio some time to try and fix things, but he couldn't fix it enough. So they decided to move on from him, or he got annoyed dealing with them and decided to walk away. Hard to say. Though I really have no idea what this means for things like 5G and possibly the new reboot that was on its way shortly after.
    Yeah, it's way sooner than I thought. So my first thought is the loss of sales from New 52/DC You followed with the later Rebirth loss when Rebirth started has not gone unnoticed.

It basically sounds like DC is going to focus on what works rather than what doesn't. This could mean that we'll be seeing several comic series getting cut, and more effort/focus being put into the bigger titles. Can't say I can complain, but I hope this doesn't mean we won't be getting the odd series for some of the lesser known characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Diana was retconned as starting in World War II (well, just before, in 1939), which matches pre-Crisis, not World War I. So that's not movie synergy.
    My mistake
    still makes sense to her be there way before Batman ad Superman, its part of what made the movie so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Bendis is not part of the editorial apparatus though. So his power is always going to depend on how much freedom editorial grants him.
    you are right. most likely he will just keep doign what he is doing.

If DC chooses a new publisher it would make sense that they choose someone like Jimmy Palmiotti

I don't like the fact that Didio lost his job. But at the same time he consistently let his biases about certain superheroes (such as the Flash and Batgirl) get in the way of producing quality comics.
    this is one of the few things that I keep seeing on regards to critisism against Didio
    and it is true
    but the reality is that this would be true for anyone on the same position.
    Everyone has biases.
    Geoff Johns is a great writer but I still hate that he brought back Barry and send Wally away.

not sure what to think of this because its hard to think of Didio not being focused on brands and franchises.
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 02-21-2020 at 04:29 PM.

The hell does that mean? It’s not like DC wasn’t already primarily focused on Batman and the JL.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The hell does that mean? It’s not like DC wasn’t already primarily focused on Batman and the JL.
    Corporate buzzwords.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It feels kind of tasteless to celebrate anyone's firing (if that is indeed what happened). I can't say I'm too sorry overall to see him go, but some of my favorite runs came out during his era. However, a few of those same runs were cut short during his era as well.

Sometimes it's better to have the devil you know than the devil you don't. What are we going to get as a replacement and will it necessarily be better? Or are things about to get worse?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    At a guess, it might mean things like making Batwoman and Supergirl a bigger, more important part of the line to match their tv presence (Supergirl just got final-issued and has been stuck in other books' storylines while Batwoman hasn't been on the shelves in months). It also might be about collected editions - Marvel has a thriving archival program while DC is . . . who the hell knows what DC is doing.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I've been stating for the better part of a year now that I feel Warner Media was verge of shuttering the publishing of DC's monthly periodicals. I don't know if this is a further indicator of that belief but it certainly doesn't hurt my argument.

Hopefully the likes of Jeph Loeb, Mark Waid, or Geoff Johns will take the position. If it's Bendis or exclusively Lee, then this move certainly won't matter. But this was a long time coming IMO. I don't have any ill will towards Didio like some fans do but I definitely feel like DC's been bankrupt of ideas for the better part of 10 years at least. The last story I was remotely excited for was Rebirth, and they managed to completely squander the momentum of that initiative.

Wow. For good or bad it’s definitely an end of a big DC era. I didn’t agree with a lot of things that he did at DC but he was always a very nice guy at conventions and always took time to talk to the fans. Also he was willing to accept the blame and hate, deservedly or not. I hope he lands on his feet.

It will be interesting to see how far they go with 5G. Wonder if WB/AT&T said “wait you’re replacing Bruce, Clark, and Diana with who?!?”

I hope this doesn’t mean the parent company will be cutting back on comics.

Continuity is such a mess right now, especially after Doomsday Clock, and now this. They just need to do a Crisis to start a new era for the company in general.
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-21-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Wow. For good or bad it’s definitely an end of a big DC era. I didn’t agree with a lot of things that he did at DC but he was always a very nice guy at conventions and always took time to talk to the fans. Also he was willing to accept the blame and hate, deservedly or not. I hope he lands on his feet.

It will be interesting to see how far they go with 5G. Wonder if WB/AT&T said “wait you’re replacing Bruce, Clark, and Diana with who?!?”

Continuity is such a mess right now, especially after Doomsday Clock, and now this. They just need to do a Crisis to start a new era for the company in general.
    DC's continuity is a disaster. I would reboot the whole line from scratch at this point.

Incredible Member

From IGN: https://www.ign.com/articles/dc-comi...after-18-years
    IGN spoke to a source with knowledge of the situation who said that DiDio has always been known for being a traditionalist whose primary focus was taking care of the direct comics market, but now the company is moving its focus more towards brands and franchises.
    ...what is that even supposed to mean? It's hardly news that AT&T didn't buy Warmer to sell 30k copies of Nightwing a month as their primary focus, same wsy Disney didn't buy Marvel bevause they really thought the world needed a great X-Force comic.

Didio was co-head of DC PUBLISHING. Not DC licensing or DC movies.

This smacks of a "friend of Dan" trying to get sympathy, not a meaningful puece of detail.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

This might be unpopular, but they really could come out of Death Metal and just do a pretend soft reboot. No big event, no crisis, just a time skip (like after IC or Secret Wars) and just say things like, "Oh, it's nice Alfred un-died" and "I'm glad that whole Perpetua thing is over and Lex forgot everything" and JUST MOVE ON!
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    ...what is that even supposed to mean? It's hardly news that AT&T didn't buy Warmer to sell 30k copies of Nightwing a month as their primary focus, same wsy Disney didn't buy Marvel bevause they really thought the world needed a great X-Force comic.

Didio was co-head of DC PUBLISHING. Not DC licensing or DC movies.

This smacks of a "friend of Dan" trying to get sympathy, not a meaningful puece of detail.
    It really doesn't make sense considering Didio was the head of DC, so if they were going a different direction outside of the traditionalist approach it was because he wanted it to go that direction.