Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    People keep bringing this up. While yes he's totally still co-publisher the question is does he want to be the main publisher. The only time I've read about him saying anything about the direction DC was going in was New 52 and he noped out after one year.
    I think the fan press and DC's PR has a distorting effect on your perceptions on the role of the publisher. Didio may have been more front and center. But for example his predecessor Paul Levitz was not and he was more bts when he was both president and publisher of DC. Similarly Buckley over at Marvel. Jim Lee doesn't necessary have to follow in Dan Didio's model as publisher.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Now this is interesting.
    It's only interesting in WHO they get from that TV and animation world and YA universe.

While it sounds like they are getting rid of the good old boy network. Which is past over due.

Sounds like the phrase (go woke go broke) will be fired off at DC a lot in the future.

I don’t want someone like Loeb, I’d rather reboot the universe then have someone kill it with a world ruining tidal wave (yes I remember Ultimatum, and it may be the worse thing Loeb has done).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, in a hard reboot...
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I don’t want someone like Loeb, I’d rather reboot the universe...
    If they reboot DC (which I'm sure they won't. I believe EVS, saying AT&T would rather just kill the comics completely. Maybe move to OGNs only is what I'd hope.), then I'm pretty sure I'm done reading DCU-proper comics.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

That wasn’t me saying I want a reboot of DC , it was more me saying I’d rather have Didio rebooting with New 52 then Loeb with Ultimatum. This is more my personal opinion but I don’t like Loeb as a writer.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

New gossip from bleeding cool about why left: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ave-dc-comics/

They've been spot on about 5G for the past year, so I'd trust it.. Apparently he was fired just this morning. Mainly due to poor editorial management it seems, Jim Lee will be sole publisher in the meantime and 5G will launch in October as planned.

If that's true, I'm surprised it took this long. Micro-managers and creatives tend to not mix very well.

Amazing Member

Nothing too surprising in that article to be honest.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    New gossip from bleeding cool about why left: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ave-dc-comics/

They've been spot on about 5G for the past year, so I'd trust it.. Apparently he was fired just this morning. Mainly due to poor editorial management it seems, Jim Lee will be sole publisher in the meantime and 5G will launch in October as planned.
    Not quite as planned according to the article you posted. If it's true, then it sounds like 5G was part of the reason why Didio was let go and the incarnation we get may not be the originally intended form.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    I think people want more diversity in their heroes rather than homogenized... Into the Spider-Verse was a huge hit critically, and that was basically a Bat Family movie with Spider-Man.

The general audience is completely capable of understanding, appreciating, and embracing the idea that there are multiple people who use the name Robin and Batgirl — but so far DC has not shown much willingness to give them wider exposure. But just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it's because it couldn't.

I think DC would be wise to play up the relatability of Robin and Batgirl as almost "self-insert" characters for the audience by emphasizing the diversity -- ie, there's at least one character who you can identify with. But that's jut IMO.
    I get what you're saying, but in Into the Spider-Verse most of the other Spiders were basically window dressing for one Spider-Man, Miles, who became the only Spider-Man of his Earth.

It was more of a Pre-Crisis Flash situation then a Batfamily situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I was thinking everyone goes full "Morrison on JLA" - big bold stories with FUN one offs and shorts in between (don't try to match Morrison on the weird stuff, of course). Lots of team-up, guest appearances, and general frivolity
    I'm a little over team-ups and guest appearances, at least unless it serves in rebuilding franchises and families.
    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Okay... What I'm going to say here is not gonna sound like something I usually do (mostly).

Dan Didio did a lot of good things. He kept DC afloat at times when DC had no business being afloat. Under his tenure some of my fav characters were created.

I interviewed him once, face to face, and I could say that he was really, really passionate about what he was doing, at least.

I do not agree with his vision of the DCU. I can't say he will be missed, as his biases really screwed things up for me.

But he did his best, and for that, he gets my respect.
    I think this is a very fair take on it. I think it about sums up my feelings as well.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Not quite as planned according to the article you posted. If it's true, then it sounds like 5G was part of the reason why Didio was let go and the incarnation we get may not be the intended form once published.
    I think it was more so the bad editorial planning on Didio's part, we know there was a convergency style event that was supposed to happen before 5G launched but due to a lot of editor confusion it got shortened to just being a one month event (this all just a bleeding cool source from early January if I recall.)

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

That wasn’t me saying I want a reboot of DC , it was more me saying I’d rather have Didio rebooting with New 52 then Loeb with Ultimatum. This is more my personal opinion but I don’t like Loeb as a writer.
    Right, apologies, didn't mean to make it seem like I thought that's what you said lol. I was just seeing the word "reboot" thrown around by some and figured I'd put in my 2 cents if it came to that.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I don’t want someone like Loeb, I’d rather reboot the universe then have someone kill it with a world ruining tidal wave (yes I remember Ultimatum, and it may be the worse thing Loeb has done).
    We're not talking about Loeb writing, we're talking about him leading. Despite some of his missteps some of his best work came while working for DC. He has television and film connections, and he would be an ideal candidate to bring in new and even old blood on the creative side.

I honestly think it won't happen because I think this is moving towards a more corporate-oriented operation. But I think Loeb would do well in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The plot thickens. DC completely no-showed ComicsPRO yesterday, and the two execs there today made a swift exit when the news broke. And they found out when we did!
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ro-big-change/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...hange/fic1el0/
    well
    thats no good

I personally think that someone contacted the upper people about his plans with 5G, and they weren't happy with the 'shuffling off' of all of DC's recognizable (moneymaking) heroes.
    They probably never really paid much attention to DC Comics before.

I suspect that may be implied by the article, as well.

And it will be interesting to see what exactly 5G will turn into now.
    It may end up being of as much significance as War of the Gods or Convergence, and forgotten a few months later.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.