Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    No

Sincerely,
    Everyone
    why not specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    Bleeding Cool says DC is planning to move away from the traditional comic talent pool and will try to recruit writers from TV and animation.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ro-big-change/
    Oh, get Greg Weisman!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    why not specifically?
    I don't think his talents as a writer extend to those required in a higher managerial position. I also think Waid's best writing days are long behind him. Like most writers nowadays, he needs a good editor that keeps him on track.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 02-21-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Mark Waid, Jeph Loeb, Jimmy Palmiotti.

those are my top 3 options.
    Loeb is terrible though. He ran the Ultimate Marvel line into the ground. He butchered Marvel animation, cancelling the excellent EMH show for cheap and crap MCU Avengers Assemble cartoon. The Netflix Marvel shows were mixed at best, with only Daredevil really succeeding.

Just have 5G be an Elseworlds and return to normal.
    "If you look up at me you will see a friend. If you look down at me you will see an enemy. But if you look me square in the eye you will see a God."-Bray Wyatt

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's assuming the person who comes in (if Jim Lee doesn't just take over the whole role) isn't worse. This industry is in a weird place, where it's IP's are bigger than they've been for decades but the source material is floundering, and the company heads have people to answer to who do not care about this aspect of the business, and have no reason to care so long as they can produce larger media adaptations.
    Not sure how the quote got attributed to me even though Ulysses posted it.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I don't think his talents as a writer extend to those required in a higher managerial position. I also think Waid's best writing days are long behind him. Like most writers nowadays, he needs a good editor that keeps him on track.
    This is pretty fair criticism however he does have experience on those type of positions. he was EiC in Boom!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Loeb is terrible though. He ran the Ultimate Marvel line into the ground. He butchered Marvel animation, cancelling the excellent EMH show for cheap and crap MCU Avengers Assemble cartoon. The Netflix Marvel shows were mixed at best, with only Daredevil really succeeding.
    When I think of Loeb I think of him as DC Loeb and not Marvel Loeb.
    The Loeb that made Hush, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and others.

To me the failure on Ultimate U and Ultimatum specifically was never his fault but ratter the fact that Ultimatum was never meant to be a success. it was suppose to kill the Ulimate Universe, it didnt, so whatever was left was just a twisted carcass of what once was the better part of Marvel a its peak.
    the thing with the animated Universe can also be contributed to many other factors
    The netflix shows, I completely disagree, if anything only Iron Fist was a failure. the rest might have not gotten the level of Daredevil but that doesnt mean they were unsucessful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Oh, get Greg Weisman!
    At least as a writer. Way back when, he even put out some Gargoyles comics (he had quite a bit planned for them before the plug was finally pulled on him).

Plus he’s embroiled in a nasty lawsuit. That’s more baggage than I’d want out of a new DC head. I’d want a new boss with a good rep overall. Someone with mature diplomatic skills. Able to speak across divides. Waid’s a very bad nomination.

I’d nominate Johns but I think he’s too busy. Lee is pretty good but seems like too much of a softy and not good enough writing instincts. Frankly, no clear choice comes to mind. Berger?
    Last edited by Ulysses; 02-22-2020 at 12:03 AM.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

BREAKING NEWS!

Snyder just posted his reponse

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...11463781093378

Dan DiDio is one of the most passionate people I know when comes to this medium. He loves comics with every fiber. He was also an early champion of my work. He backed me on black mirror when others didn’t want it to happen, then on court of owls, American vampire... on and on.1/2
    we had some nuclear fights over the years, sure, but above all, after over a decade working with him, all I feel is gratitude to Dan for his support and friendship. DC will be very different without him.
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 02-22-2020 at 12:03 AM. Reason: part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Plus he’s embroiled in a nasty lawsuit. That’s more baggage than I’d want out of a new DC head. I’d want a new boss with a good rep overall. Someone with mature diplomatic skills. Able to speak across divides. Waid’s a very bad nomination.
    ^_^
    I was not aware of this

now thats a pretty good reason to not to pick him.

I’d nominate Johns but I think he’s too busy. Lee is pretty good but seems like too much of a softy and not good enough writing instincts. Frankly, no clear choice comes to mind. Berger?
    Karen Berger
    Now that would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    My predictions.

No, Bendis is not getting a promotion. He is gonna get his titles cut back if anything. Remember that getting Bendis to turn coat was Didio's big gamble. It failed. This is likely one of the factors that got Didio canned.

5G will continue uninterrupted. It was never going to be more than a 6 month thing anyway. Nothing much will change at DC until then. The restructuring will occur while 5G is happening.

There will be no new publisher replacing Didio for several months. DC will be managed by some sort of corporate entity while they scout for a new publisher.

After 5G we will get a "return to archetype" type of event. We will see a return to a mythic standard of storytelling. DC will get tightened up, characters will be expected to stay on brand. Stories will be expected to be of mythic appeal.

So it will take 6-12 months but DC will start cleaning up its own room. No more of the Wally is a mass murderer business and killing off Alfred nonsense. No more Superman loses his secret identity and Lois may or may not be cheating on him or whatever the **** is going on over in the Superman books. We will see a return to what makes superhero stories great and that's heroes on an adventure. Joseph Campbell type ****. This will start with a solid focus on DC's core character roster.
    Sounds like we'll get absolutely shitty stories then.

Come to think of it, I don’t like Johns for the job. The guy is fixated on telling stories about the DCU. What we need is stories about the heroes of the DCU.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 02-22-2020 at 12:39 AM.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Personally, I hope that's exactly what happens.

In general, I think DC both as a company and as a brand really suffered under the old leadership. We are living in a world where Marvel is a brand that elicits almost universal love and an expectation of quality. Can we honestly say that DC, for the past several years, has been doing its best to compete? Those people you call "nostalgia fanatics" are just nostalgic for the days when DC told good stories.
    More like outdated and always repetitive stories, but I see your point.
    Last edited by Korath; 02-22-2020 at 12:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member

No

Sincerely,
    Everyone
    Waid is one of the best comic book writers of his generation and has a deep and profound understanding of DC characters. Why are you opposed to good things happening?