Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    How many months before we notice any differences, for better or worse?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I say 9 months exactly

why 9 months?
    because on May we get DARK NIGHTS: DEATH METAL #1 which lasts for 6 issues and GENERATION ONE which I presume will be 5 months for each of the generations
    there might be some changes on those projects, maybe not but they are still going to be the course that was pre-set.
    the new projects will be announced on oct-nov and those are the ones we need to pay attention to because those will have absolutely no influence of Didio

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well whoever it is, it's fair to say they would still be "nostalgia fanatics" no matter the era. After all if they grew up with 90s DC, that would be nostalgia too wouldn't it. I often see people use the phrase "pet favorite" in reference to which characters are being pushed, when any creator, whether they have editorial control or not, has "pet favorites" from the particular era they grew up in. "Nostalgia" is always going to be a driving factor in executive decision making, whether the person in charge grew up in the 60s or the 90s.

Anyway, they must like Lee since he's still around.
    Lee's only problem... at least for me... is that he can be really bad at character design. The uniform collar on New 52 Justice League, the overly complex armor, and Harley's Suicide Squad look with an unbuttoned corset-only for an acrobatic character... but as a publisher... well, I don't even know what he did because everyone blames Didio XD

I wonder what's next
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    That's be horrible. What's the point of a 60+ years timeline if you don't age your heroes to replace them ?

How will it help anyone but the bigger names, and the others will be returned to either limbo, obscurity or irrelevance because their mentors are still there, overshadowing them ?
    I like to think that this is exactly the same line of thinkinging that brought us the New 52
    we dont want to age them so de-age them is the answer
    obviously DC doesnt want to go down that line again which is why 5G was created.
    It is exactly the point of the Doomsday clock too. the metaverse keeps changing because it needs to reflect the times of the spectators as well.

It is to early to tell how exactly anything of this will work out but at the end of the day Bruce Wayne as Batman is a very popular brand and it makes sense that DC/WB tries everything they can to keep if from going away.
    Maybe they will go the Dark Knight Returns line and have BW be old
    Maybe he will use the Lazarus pit
    Maybe the plan to replace him for a while is still a go but that wont last for long

there are many options.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Im thinking this aswell
    when I heard that DC was planning on replacing BW as Batman practically on the same year that a new Batman movie is in production I though "that doest makes sense"

now Wonder Woman being retconned as starting her career on WWI
    now that makes sense

stuff like that could be the disagreements that WB had with Didio.
    Diana was retconned as starting in World War II (well, just before, in 1939), which matches pre-Crisis, not World War I. So that's not movie synergy.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

American Mainstream comics is all about on-going Continuity. DC's biggest falls came after events such as Flash Point and New 52. No matter how long they have been around the characters at DC or even Marvel ,for that matter, are not the problem. The problem lies and will continue to lie at the feet of the creative and directing teams who handle them.

Dan DiDio MAJOR problem was that he continued to chase after some imaginary Hot Rod when he was already Driving a Lamborghini. Examples of this is DC LARGE Wally West Fanbase literally at DC's feet, being tossed a side and openly ridiculed, for what? Because he didn't like the character? His inability to compromise his personal preferences with consumers wants ,along with his inability to follow the money, is why DC Comics is VERY close to redlining.

Continuity, is what has and will always keep people interested in these titles. As soon as the Directors and the Creative Staff forgets that or tosses it to the side is when the fans follow suit and stop caring enough to continue to buy their books on a regular bases.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-21-2020 at 04:18 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Not sure what to make of this yet.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine322 View Post
    Watch out for Bendis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    I was thinking this as well
    Bendis might rise even higher in the vacuum of power
    Ehh, I mean people were saying the exact thing with him at Marvel only for him to leave around the same time Axel Alonso got sacked.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

It happening at this point in time is quite unexpected. And leaves a lot hanging in the air. I was quite vocal of hating the concept behind 5G, so if it dies because of this before it even really gets started I'm not going to shed a tear. But the chaos that would cause would be bad for business too.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Bendis is not part of the editorial apparatus though. So his power is always going to depend on how much freedom editorial grants him.

I don't like the fact that Didio lost his job. But at the same time he consistently let his biases about certain superheroes (such as the Flash and Batgirl) get in the way of producing quality comics.

Yeah Bendis has only been around at DC for like what a year, maybe Year and a half. I doubt they’re suddenly gonna make him fill in for Didio any time soon.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

From IGN: https://www.ign.com/articles/dc-comi...after-18-years

IGN spoke to a source with knowledge of the situation who said that DiDio has always been known for being a traditionalist whose primary focus was taking care of the direct comics market, but now the company is moving its focus more towards brands and franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Bendis is not part of the editorial apparatus though. So his power is always going to depend on how much freedom editorial grants him.

I don't like the fact that Didio lost his job. But at the same time he consistently let his biases about certain superheroes (such as the Flash and Batgirl) get in the way of producing quality comics.
    DiDio gave him quite a bit of freedom and influence (made most things tie into his own stories if he could, and co-opted characters too). But with DiDio gone, hard to say.

Astonishing Member

The publisher's job is more focused on the sales and publishing side. The other media tie-ins and brand development are more the oversight of the Creative Officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Why can Didio if you're going to just continue on with his plans?
    If you believe BC, it was to stop the various perceived problems within editorial. DC has lost several well known editors including its former executive editor last year.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-21-2020 at 04:10 PM.