Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    This might be unpopular, but they really could come out of Death Metal and just do a pretend soft reboot. No big event, no crisis, just a time skip (like after IC or Secret Wars) and just say things like, "Oh, it's nice Alfred un-died" and "I'm glad that whole Perpetua thing is over and Lex forgot everything" and JUST MOVE ON!
    I just don't think it's enough at this point. The best approach would be a company-wide, hard reboot. But even then I just don't know how you fix it.

Incredible Member

It also might be about collected editions - Marvel has a thriving archival program while DC is . . . who the hell knows what DC is doing.
    ...wut? Marvel's bookstore programme is a mess and has been for years, partly because of a lack of effort on their part, and partly bevause they don't print books to stay in stock for nickel-and-dime warehousing cost reasons.

DC's books have routinely outsold Marvel's as a result for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    DC's continuity is a disaster. I would reboot the whole line from scratch at this point.
    ...and what would that achieve, other than wiping out a lot of marketable properties?

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    ...wut? Marvel's bookstore programme is a mess and has been for years, partly because of a lack of effort on their part, and partly bevause they don't print books to stay in stock for nickel-and-dime warehousing cost reasons.

DC's books have routinely outsold Marvel's as a result for a long, long time.
    Literally everything you've said here is wrong. Please leave the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    ...and what would that achieve, other than wiping out a lot of marketable properties?
    That's just it. I don't know if it would change anything. But their only real marketable property right now is Batman, and even that's taken a hit.

Again, I think that's why we're approaching the end here rather than a new beginning.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I just don't think it's enough at this point. The best approach would be a company-wide, hard reboot. But even then I just don't know how you fix it.
    I think there's a really good argument that Marvel's path of ignoring unpleasant continuity issues is a pretty solid plan for a line that big.

Hickman on X-Men is selling through the roof and he really just went with "Hey, we found a way to resurrect people, and nothing that happened in the last three years was particularly important" and ran with it. And it's fun! It's fun to read, to discuss, to speculate about. Just imagine if Justice League or Justice Society or the Titans were telling big, fun stories whose purpose wasn't "here's how we're fixing continuity issues you may not know exist" or "here's how we're specifically moving you from one event to the next"?

When JMS and Paul Jenkins revitalized Spider-man, they didn't spend months undoing or re-contextualizing the Clone Saga or Chapter One or anything - they just rolled with what was and moved it to what they wanted it to be. When Spencer started up ASM, he undid the parts of Slott's run he didn't like in three issues and then told the story he wanted to tell.

I feel like if DC just started 2021 with "Ignorance is bliss!" as their new tag line and got back to basic storytelling, everything would be fine
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
    "I went and explained to people why I hated Infinity War. The reason why I hated Infinity War was because they were doing comics better than comics were doing," DiDio told Collider at Comic-Con. "They were telling character stories. They had big epic adventure. They were doing emotional arcs for the characters. It was a real sense of continuity, crossover and creativity going on in a movie that we should have been doing in comics."
    he's right tho, I seriously doubt these comments would be a part of why he'd be ousted. if they in some reality where that were the case then ima be real, DC is even worse off then I thought. I've been waiting for DC to shake up it's leadership in the hope for better direction and vision, so im intrigued to see where this will lead to.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    I didn't always agree with Dan Didio's decisions, but I will always support someone who is willing to take risks. And some of my favorite DC stories were released under his leadership. Thanks for everything, Dan, and good luck!

P.S.: Whatever you do, Warner Bros, please keep Geoff Johns away from the publisher seat!
    my biggest fear
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-21-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Except Jim and Lee and Bob Harras are still workingl there. So it's really not much of a shake up.

BANNED

I suppose Cassandra Cain becoming Batgirl again now has better possibility of happening.

Quote Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
    "I went and explained to people why I hated Infinity War. The reason why I hated Infinity War was because they were doing comics better than comics were doing," DiDio told Collider at Comic-Con. "They were telling character stories. They had big epic adventure. They were doing emotional arcs for the characters. It was a real sense of continuity, crossover and creativity going on in a movie that we should have been doing in comics."

And all I can say is, finally he is gone!
    Why is this a negative?
    He's complimenting the movie.

I think there's a really good argument that Marvel's path of ignoring unpleasant continuity issues is a pretty solid plan for a line that big.

Hickman on X-Men is selling through the roof and he really just went with "Hey, we found a way to resurrect people, and nothing that happened in the last three years was particularly important" and ran with it. And it's fun! It's fun to read, to discuss, to speculate about. Just imagine if Justice League or Justice Society or the Titans were telling big, fun stories whose purpose wasn't "here's how we're fixing continuity issues you may not know exist" or "here's how we're specifically moving you from one event to the next"?

When JMS and Paul Jenkins revitalized Spider-man, they didn't spend months undoing or re-contextualizing the Clone Saga or Chapter One or anything - they just rolled with what was and moved it to what they wanted it to be. When Spencer started up ASM, he undid the parts of Slott's run he didn't like in three issues and then told the story he wanted to tell.

I feel like if DC just started 2021 with "Ignorance is bliss!" as their new tag line and got back to basic storytelling, everything would be fine
    The difference of course is that Spider-Man hasn't undergone 5 origin changes in 20 years the way Superman has. Had DC always followed Marvel's approach with regards to continuity, it wouldn't be so difficult.

Both companies are spiraling right now.

Truth be told ... WHOEVER takes the reigns better figure it out and get things back on track, quick. Because as it stands right now based on sales and the current trend THIS year or the NEXT will be the last year of the comics.

AT&T might license the books out but the DCU nixed as we know it. And guess what after that Marvel will be right behind them.

Curtain call.

I hope like Hell they figure it out. Comics have been a huge part of my life and the state of things as they are right now sting like a punch to the gut.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Lightbulb

What I would like to see happen is Time Warner sell the DC Comics Division to Disney so we can finally get an official fully amalgamated major comic universe. I know many might disagree, but I think the interest generated by such a move is the only way to save the industry (actual floppies and digital books) at this point. Not saying it'll ever happen rather this is what I think needs to happen for the good of the industry.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Amazing Member

Bob Harras next pls

I do agree with the posts saying things need to change cause ya, if the comic industry (not just Marvel and DC) continue as is then there is not going to be comics anymore. The sales across the board are abysmal and this downward spiral has been a trend for years now, and it's only going to get worse.
    Last edited by voidox; 02-21-2020 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    What I would like to see happen is Time Warner sell the DC Comics Division to Disney so we can finally get an official fully amalgamated major comic universe. I know many might disagree, but I think the interest generated by such a move is the only way to save the industry (actual floppies and digital books) at this point.
    Say goodbye to anyone who isn’t a JL member then. There’s too many ancillary characters at DC to support books in a merged Marvel/DC Universe. Also it will never ever happen, ATT owns TW and DC now and they’d won’t giving some of their biggest IP to Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    What I would like to see happen is Time Warner sell the DC Comics Division to Disney so we can finally get an official fully amalgamated major comic universe. I know many might disagree, but I think the interest generated by such a move is the only way to save the industry (actual floppies and digital books) at this point. Not saying it'll ever happen rather this is what I think needs to happen for the good of the industry.
    If Warner Media doesn't sell the television and movie rights with the comics division, then it'll never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Both companies are spiraling right now.

Truth be told ... WHOEVER takes the reigns better figure it out and get things back on track, quick. Because as it stands right now based on sales and the current trend THIS year or the NEXT will be the last year of the comics.

AT&T might license the books out but the DCU nixed as we know it. And guess what after that Marvel will be right behind them.

Curtain call.

I hope like Hell they figure it out. Comics have been a huge part of my life and the state of things as they are right now sting like a punch to the gut.
    Again, this is my feeling. I think we're fast approaching the end of monthly periodicals for the comic book industry.