Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Most fans care about continuity.

Anyway this won't stop future reboots.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post

ikr. A man who loved what he did and supported creators lost his job and comic nerds are out popping champagne b/c it means maybe their favorite fictional character gets a creative team or direction they want...

I'll never forget, I think it was SDCC 2011? DCU panel, girl in audience asked when they'll hire more female creators. Morrison responded (paraphrasing), "when will more apply?"
    It's hard to get female writers if they don't know where to apply. It's hard to get them when you have a good old boy network doing the hiring.

Example A writer was offered the last Rhodey mini series and said he felt a black writer might be a better choice-the editor told him-"there are no black writers in comics". Mind you Reginald Hudlin and Kevin G were working at Marvel at the time. Dwayne McDuffie was still alive. Sanford Greene & Khary Randolph were working at marvel too. So it wasn't impossible to ask them.

You can't sit up and make excuses about the lack of POC or women-when you go to comic cons or look at what other companies are doing.

Especially if looking for talent is part of your job description.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Well, they could give prominence to barry and hal in Earth-1985. Have wally and kyle be earth-0's prominent guys.
    Kyle? Not to diss the character, I like Kyle, but he’s waaaaaay down the totem pole of GLs. If Hal isn’t getting the spotlight it will be John or Jess. And most people still bitching about Barry and Hal have failed to appreciate how completely things have changed. It’s been over a decade since Wally was “the” Flash, and since then all the outside media has featured Barry (even if they’ve given him a lot of Wally’s personality and relationships). Barry is “the” Flash to the GA, he’s not getting replaced, especially not while that Flash movie is still planned to be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's hard to get female writers if they don't know where to apply. It's hard to get them when you have a good old boy network doing the hiring.

Example A writer was offered the last Rhodey mini series and said he felt a black writer might be a better choice-the editor told him-"there are no black writers in comics". Mind you Reginald Hudlin and Kevin G were working at Marvel at the time. Dwayne McDuffie was still alive. Sanford Greene & Khary Randolph were working at marvel too. So it wasn't impossible to ask them.

You can't sit up and make excuses about the lack of POC or women-when you go to comic cons or look at what other companies are doing.

Especially if looking for talent is part of your job description.
    And especially when the Big 2 have a “don’t pitch to us unless we ask you to” policy. If that’s your attitude it’s time to pull your collective head out of your collective butt and go get the creators. They’re there, there’s plenty of black, Latino, and Asian creators who would love to play with DC’s characters.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-22-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Waid is one of the best comic book writers of his generation and has a deep and profound understanding of DC characters. Why are you opposed to good things happening?
    Already answered this.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I don't think his talents as a writer extend to those required in a higher managerial position. I also think Waid's best writing days are long behind him. Like most writers nowadays, he needs a good editor that keeps him on track.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 02-22-2020 at 01:44 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Kyle? Not to diss the character, I like Kyle, but he’s waaaaaay down the totem pole of GLs. If Hal isn’t getting the spotlight it will be John or Jess. And most people still bitching about Barry and Hal have failed to appreciate how completely things have changed. It’s been over a decade since Wally was “the” Flash, and since then all the outside media has featured Barry (even if they’ve given him a lot of Wally’s personality and relationships). Barry is “the” Flash to the GA, he’s not getting replaced, especially not while that Flash movie is still planned to be made.

And especially when the Big 2 have a “don’t pitch to us unless we ask you to” policy. If that’s your attitude it’s time to pull your collective head out of your collective butt and go get the creators. They’re there, there’s plenty of black, Latino, and Asian creators who would love to play with DC’s characters.

That doesn't really mean anything. If things can change one way it can change another way. Barry had one show and comic relief in a box office bomb of a movie. That isn't much. I was just saying use different earths for different generations.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-22-2020 at 12:28 PM.

BANNED

They will just push all. Brand pushing like all the spiders.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It might be. Except for the story that EVS had to push hard to get Barry brought back and nearly had to twist Didio's arm
    EVS is not a credible source. He deliberately distorts events in order to make himself more important or to burnish his rep as an a-list comic book creator which he hasn't been for along time. This one in particular is complete nonsense. DC under Didio was going to bring back Barry in IC and Lightning Saga before the idea was vetoed. And none of these had to do with EVS. He may have been responsible for the Flash Rebirth pitch. But Barry Allen was already coming back in Final Crisis, which had nothing to do with him. We have far more evidence that back up Didio's claims than EVS's.

And how many years has EVS been claiming that WB is going to shut down DC Comics (and that hasn't happened in any form)?

both Kyle and Wally had fallen on hard times and their sales were low.
    That's completely bogus. Wally was coming off of Geoff Johns run on Flash. He was cancelled because of IC and the prospective return of Barry which never happened. Then the post-Lightning Saga book was sabotaged according to the writer (Mark Waid) with the editor breaking all the promises they made to Waid coming back to the book. Wally was never given a fair chance. I won't dispute Kyle.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-22-2020 at 12:44 PM.

That doesn't really mean anything. If things can change one way it can change another way. Barry had one show. That isn't much. I was just use different earths for different generations.
    The CW TV show is the most popular CW superhero show to this day. It brought in a ton of new fans to the Flash franchise, and their favorite Flash is Barry.
    The Flash in the DCEU is Barry.
    The Flash in the video games, Injustice and Lego, is Barry.
    The Flash in the animated movies is Barry and any future cartoons will use Barry.
    Comics Barry has been the Flash for over a decade now.
    The most well known Flash storyline (we can argue about its quality but it is the most well known) Flashpoint, stars Barry.
    It would be very hard if not impossible at this point to kill off Barry and revert to Wally. It sucks since I like Wally more but Barry has recemented his place as Flash for Gen Z.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Well, they could give prominence to barry and hal in Earth-1985. Have wally and kyle be earth-0's prominent guys.
    Barry is going to be on the planet that is at the forefront of the DC universe. The television show and movies have solidified that and his hold on the character will only grow stronger in the future. In fact, I would say he's in a better position now than any other Flash has been in DC history due to his big and little screen success.

Hal, OTOH, is on somewhat shakier ground, but I wouldn't bet against him, either.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Maybe Jessica will replace Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Maybe Jessica will replace Hal.
    It’s still too early to say Hal will be “replaced”. Like Barry Hal is everywhere. However John and Jess have also shown up in outside media, and they both bring something to the table Hal doesn’t in terms of diversity. So it could happen. If I was in charge I’d give John a GLC book to be the star of and I’d keep him on the JL. Jess I would have rotate with John because goddamn does the JL need more women members, and otherwise I’d make sure she shows up in the GL books as well. Hal is just let Morrison write for as long as he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The CW TV show is the most popular CW superhero show to this day. It brought in a ton of new fans to the Flash franchise, and their favorite Flash is Barry.
    The Flash in the DCEU is Barry.
    The Flash in the video games, Injustice and Lego, is Barry.
    The Flash in the animated movies is Barry and any future cartoons will use Barry.
    Comics Barry has been the Flash for over a decade now.
    The most well known Flash storyline (we can argue about its quality but it is the most well known) Flashpoint, stars Barry.
    It would be very hard if not impossible at this point to kill off Barry and revert to Wally. It sucks since I like Wally more but Barry has recemented his place as Flash for Gen Z.
    it's still on cw. Sure, it's popular. I believe smallville was too. There thousands of shows on tv.
    Dceu i had mentioned.
    Injustice had wally as skin in mobile i believe. Wally ain't totally out of his depth . Lego i can accept.
    Animated movies are targeted towards fans and casual who have basic attachment towards the material and would know wally west flash is a thing.
    It's not impossible at all. This isn't clark kent or bruce wayne deal. If i ask my dad who is the flash. He would tell the guy that runs. He wouldn't tell me it barry allen or wallywest. That's what the character is for general audiences the jokester who runs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Barry is going to be on the planet that is at the forefront of the DC universe. The television show and movies have solidified that and his hold on the character will only grow stronger in the future. In fact, I would say he's in a better position now than any other Flash has been in DC history due to his big and little screen success.

Hal, OTOH, is on somewhat shakier ground, but I wouldn't bet against him, either.
    Why barry? Why not jay garrick or alan scott? Earth-2 is a thing. And the forefront business is a power hierarchy nonsense. Dc needs to start saying its dcm not dcu. Because they can't compete as a cohesive Universe with marvel both in comics and outside media.Even then if doctor strange and spiderman pulls on the thread. Dc will always be catching up.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-22-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

That doesn't really mean anything. If things can change one way it can change another way. Barry had one show and comic relief in a box office bomb of a movie. That isn't much. I was just saying use different earths for different generations.
    It can change but DC has to make a conscious effort for it. As hard as they're doing right now putting Barry as The Flash everywhere. They have to do the same thing with Wally.

They aren't going in that hard. They are just using whoever the flash is currently. Same as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    "Dan DiDio kept EVERY crazy promise me made me. we met each other 2 yrs ago during the madness of my near-death experience. he used it as a reason to make a lot of my personal dreams, big and small, come true. A lot of you specifically LOVE the #wondercomics imprint. that was dan"
    ((Looks at Bendis' DC output)) I'm beginning to understand why Dan DiDio was canned.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest