Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Moreover, I never thought Didio actively championed the return of Hal and Barry in the 2000s as much as he did not oppose it. The previous regime had that anti-Silver/Bronze Age hangup, but Didio didn't.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Very much this.

Dan was bombarded with pitches from people who wanted to bring back Kara, Barry, Hal, etc.

Those pitches never stopped. Jurgens would have brought back Kara in 1992 if they'd let him. Jeph Loeb had to get approval from Jenette Khan to bring back Krypto. Paul Levitz wanted some of the old characters back but didn't have the power to do it on his own.

Dan was granting pitches that never stopped coming in going back to 1986 because he had a special power arrangement to say yes to these things.

And he would say "yes" if it installed a character that was easier to explain to his bosses at WB because WB didn't want to have to literally adapt characters and storylines. They wanted characters who could be summed up in an image and 1-3 sentences that could be handed off to a director who never has to do research.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Thats not what he did with certain characters. Wally West he just wanted gone in general
    He signed off on the new black Wally. And Rebirth. And Titans with Wally. And Deathstroke with new Wally. And The Button and Flash War. And Heroes in Crisis. And 5G.

He was trolling you. He never wanted Wally gone. He wanted you to worry that he was going to hurt Wally and be mad at him because he thought you might not buy Wally books unless he pissed you off or scared you.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    He signed off on the new black Wally. And Rebirth. And Titans with Wally. And Deathstroke with new Wally. And The Button and Flash War. And Heroes in Crisis. And 5G.

He was trolling you. He never wanted Wally gone. He wanted you to worry that he was going to hurt Wally and be mad at him because he thought you might not buy Wally books unless he pissed you off or scared you.
    Uh... New Wally and Old Wally are VERY different characters, he brought New Wally in to try and shut us up. Francis Manapul has already confirmed he wasnt allowed to even draw someone in the background who looked like Original Wally because of Editorial Mandates. And heroes in crisis is not a defence. Rebirth was the only thing there he did to help Wally fans but that was mostly Johns idea, and even then he sabotaged the Titans book which was confirmed to have had editorial interferance. Dan DiDio did not like Wally West.

Suggesting Dan liked Wally because he signed off on things that introduced New Wally is like suggesting Dan liked Dick Grayson because he signed off on things that introduced Damian as Robin, or Duke Thomas
    Last edited by Denirac; 02-24-2020 at 07:00 AM.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Incredible Member

Uh... New Wally and Old Wally are VERY different characters, he brought New Wally in to try and shut us up. Francis Manapul has already confirmed he wasnt allowed to even draw someone in the background who looked like Original Wally because of Editorial Mandates. And heroes in crisis is not a defence. Rebirth was the only thing there he did to help Wally fans but that was mostly Johns idea, and even then he sabotaged the Titans book which was confirmed to have had editorial interferance. Dan DiDio did not like Wally West
    I'm telling you that was a trolling tactic.

Any number of pros could tell you the same thing.

Fine. Whatever. You bought it because you were supposed to. Same goes for the talent, who he also trolled.

There were people who did very well because they saw through it.

There's also a good chance that "playing the bad guy" is why Dan had to clean out his office on a Friday without a retirement party.

I'm just telling you what I know.

Fine. Whatever. You bought it because you were supposed to. Same goes for the talent, who he also trolled.

There's also a good chance that "playing the bad guy" is why Dan had to clean out his office on a Friday without a retirement party.

Even if he was "playing the bad guy" or just trolling, that doesn't make Heroes in Crisis something in his defence, That book was Identity Crisis level bad for the character. I personally agree that Dan was not the Monster that some people believe he was, I think he liked what he liked and I always admired his willingness to play the bad guy. But what he did to Wally West when he had Barry brought back was poor
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike

Incredible Member

Right but... This is a bit complicated.

Dan didn't "hate" Nightwing.

Nightwing gave him a headache because it created a conflict between making everything as absolutely simple and continuity free as possible (his goal from his bosses WB) and leveraging beloved characters (which he needed not to lose money).

So it starts off as "Nightwing frustrates me because I have two jobs and I can't do both with a character like that."

And it comes out as "I hate Nightwing! He makes my job hell!"

Which made people scared he was going to mess with Nightwing. Or Conner Kent. Or whoever.

And here's the secret:

He wasn't trying to destroy those characters. He never was.

You know those old covers. "Buy this comic or I shoot a puppy"?

It was always like that. He killed those characters off because he thought it would piss you off enough to make you buy a resurrection storyline with bigger numbers.

The idea was always that he would play act -- with a wink -- that he hated certain characters to try and get you worry more about them and buy more of their comics. He was playing the bad guy. He wanted you to feel like you were sticking it to the man by being a Nightwing fan because he thought it would sell more Nightwing books.

And maybe in all the deaths and reboots, he could stumble on a version of Nightwing that his bosses at WB would develop as a movie.
    This is the most disingenuous defense of Didio's tenure in DC I could ever imagine.

Up until very VERY recently, Didio spearheaded the removal of pretty much everything that happened in the DCU in the 80s and 90s.

Of course characters like Nightwing were a problem for him. They represented the Legacy aspect of the DCU he did not seem to like.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Why was numerous pitches with wally by various writers rejected?why wally was pushed into tom king as a suspect and finally made effing mass murderer in the hic instead? Why was wally mandated to be kept out of flash book after rebirth? There are tons of whys that come for the explanation of "playing the bad guy"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Why was numerous pitches with wally by various writers rejected?why wally was pushed into tom king as a suspect and finally made effing mass murderer in the hic instead? Why was wally mandated to be kept out of flash book after rebirth? There are tons of whys that come for the explanation of "playing the bad guy"
    I second all of this: Tom King's Murder Factory wasnt something good for any Character.
    Pull List:

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I second all of this: Tom King's Murder Factory wasnt something good for any Character.
    His explanation is ridiculous. He is saying "didio didn't hate dick, wally and titans. He just wanted them out of the for the silverage greats" gah!! If these guy were so keen on silverage they should have brought back Earth-1985 years ago and gave it more importannce. Not try to destroy a world that has been set.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    His explanation is ridiculous. He is saying "didio didn't hate dick, wally and titans. He just wanted them out of the for the silverage greats" gah!! If these guy were so keen on silverage they should have brought back Earth-1985 years ago and gave it more importannce. Not try to destroy a world that has been set.
    You forgot the part where the reasoning for him not hating wally was him introducing an entirely new character and slapping Wally's Name on him
    Pull List:

Okay so I just realised this thread has gone 33 pages and I've forgotten to give my 2 cents.

Dan DiDio did a lot of Bad Things for DC in his time. This is after all, the *Genius* who thought Countdown was "52 done right." I'm not going to defend his stance on Legacy Characters or Marriage either, I despised most of the New 52. And he killed Vertigo which I'm still bitter about. However, Dan did also do a lot of good things including allowing a more diverse line, he gave lesser known characters a chance to helm books, and regardless of the "Will they, wont they" with Harley and Ivy or the cancellation of Batwoman to stop her getting married, Dan was very good at allowing LGBT representation in comics, I mean we got books like Midnighter and Apollo on his watch.

Overall Dan's Tenure at DC was mixed and while I'm glad to see him go to an extent, allowing most of my favourite DC character like Nightwing or Wally a chance again, I'm also very concerned with what his replacement will bring to the table.
    Didio didn’t kill Vertigo. WB killed Vertigo when they changed the deals which gave creators less control over their IP. Once that happened Vertigo was DOA since there was no reason to not choose Image over Vertigo.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Not exactly. When the comics fall into the public domain, not only can you reprint them without DC's permission, but you can also create NEW, derivative works from them without DC's permission. It's more a Dracula/Frankenstein/Shakespeare/Bible etc. etc. situation than a Fleischer cartoon situation.

So, when Action Comics #1 becomes public domain (95 years after its initial publication, i.e. April 2033), you can write a Superman story that uses the elements contained in that particular issue. So, you can use Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane, but not Perry White. You can use the Daily Star, but not the Daily Planet. You can't use the name "Krypton" until 2034 when Superman #1 falls into public domain.

This is what happened in the 1980s when Eric Shanower was doing Wizard of Oz graphic novels for First Comics. He was only able to adapt the books as they fell into the public domain one by one. He couldn't adapt everything all at once.
    In that case, I definitely see Disney stepping in in the next few years to make sure that nothing of their falls into public domain.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

But his job ISN'T to troll people. It's to manage IPs. This is why he deserved to get thrown out. This is a business. If you're deliberately leaving money on the table to "troll" people than you are not running an effective business. It sounds more like he wanted to fight with fans than run an actual company. If that's the case, then good riddance. It sounds like AT&T saw through this childish nonsense and put a stop to it.
    Assassinate Putin!

so where is DiDio going? Is he going to Marvel, Image, or setting up his own new publisher with some investors?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so where is DiDio going? Is he going to Marvel, Image, or setting up his own new publisher with some investors?
    He's finishing Metal Men, Aside from that we don't know, there hasn't even been a statement on his firing yet and apparently internal meetings may be taking place this week to figure out what the plan is for the current line of comics
    Pull List: