Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    So, can we take Barry and Hal behind the woodshed yet?
    And that's the problem with legacies - everyone one thinks their favorite is best and should be the only one with that role and anyone who threatens their place must be destroyed/diminished. But is outraged if their own favorite is similarly discarded.

It's another reason I hate 5G. If any are popular enough to stay long-term, they just add a schism and more in-fighting to the fanbase. Whereas as if DC actually succesfully promoted the new characters with their new code names, that wouldn't happen. I know really launching new non-spinoff-characters isn't easy, but expanding the number of valuable IPs would be great. Like someone else said a while ago, DC values the roles, not the characters. Anyone in a Batman mask works for them. For long-time readers, it doesn't usually work that way. We tend to value the characters. We might like several characters that wore the same role, but they aren't interchangeable. It also betrays a huge lack of faith in these characters that DC doesn't think they can be amazing or successful without riding on the coattails of other characters that earned their fame from the ground up (admittedly in eras where that was much more achievable).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-22-2020 at 05:53 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    And that's the problem with legacies - everyone one thinks their favorite is best and should be the only one with that role and anyone who threatens their place must be destroyed/diminished. But is outraged if their own favorite is similarly discarded.

It's another reason I hate 5G. If any are popular enough to stay long-term, they just add a schism and more in-fighting to the fanbase. Whereas as if DC actually succesfully promoted the new characters with their new code names, that wouldn't happen. I know really launching new non-spinoff-characters isn't easy, but expanding the number of valuable IPs would be great. Like someone else said a while ago, DC values the roles, not the characters. Anyone in a Batman mask works for them. For long-time readers, it doesn't usually work that way. We tend to value the characters. We might like several characters that wore the same role, but they aren't interchangeable.
    Too late, they shouldn't have introduced characters like that. Besides a character cannot stay the same forever. Every Character has changed and has many versions.

I just heard the news this morning and I totally didn't see it coming. I also can't believe how petty some of you are to celebrate him being firing because you are mad over cartoon characters. No personal feelings on Didio because I don't know the guy nor I agree with some of his decisions, but this is still tasteless.

2020 is really shaping up to be a crazy year (and it's just February..) and I'm not very hopeful about DC future if I'm being honest, but let's wait and see.
    Last edited by Rise; 02-22-2020 at 06:22 AM.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

BANNED

Dan DiDio finally got fired, or at least I hope that was true. When In this form I told you guys that Dan DiDio had a shady past and that in the someone more competent was working at Warner Brothers would fire him. That has finally happened. Dan DiDio was the guy that helped kill Mainframe Entertainment the guys that made the successful Reboot show when he sold off Mainframe Entertainment to Warner Brothers. He screwed up tons of Mainframe Entertainment shows under and told Marv Wolfman back when Mainframe Entertainment had the Transformers license that Transformers had too much continuity and wanted to get rid of all that creating the god awful Transformers Beast Machines witch was a follow up to Transformers Beast Wars. And this was the guy that Warner Brothers wanted to become head of DC comics, with failures like Countdown and Amazon Attack, and repeatedly want it all Legacy characters dead hated Rebirth witch was created to fix his huge mistake with the new 52 just before that. But with Kevin Tsujihara at Warner Brothers forced out in huge sex scandal I saw Dan DiDio time was up at DC Comics.

And don't get me started on Kevin Tsujihara who literally thought that a movie about a wartime dog with PTSD named Max was going to beat Disney\Universal Avenger film. I think we all knew how that ended. It was both Dan DiDio and Kevin Tsujihara that picked Zack Snyder to run the DC cinematic Universe. Witch ended after that God awful Justice League film came out. Yeah, they're both gone and I'm a happy man to hear this.

Probably good for casual fans. Good for business. Sucks for fans like me - I love continuity. Bad continuity has made me drop more than one tv show. It just feels lazy and it also means there no consequences to any story, not necessarily any consistent characterization, and no need to ]keep tuning in the same characters, since nothing I saw in the last story matters in more. It's like I'd watch the movie, but no the tv show. For a standalone it's fine, but in any continuing series of any sort (comic, book, tv, movie), there's no reason to check out the next one if the one I liked is likely to be totally disregarded with it. There's nothing to build on, nothing to keep my interest from one to the next.

It's another reason I hate 5G. If any are popular enough to stay long-term, they just add a schism and more in-fighting to the fanbase. Whereas as if DC actually succesfully promoted the new characters with their new code names, that wouldn't happen. I know really launching new non-spinoff-characters isn't easy, but expanding the number of valuable IPs would be great. Like someone else said a while ago, DC values the roles, not the characters. Anyone in a Batman mask works for them. For long-time readers, it doesn't usually work that way. We tend to value the characters. We might like several characters that wore the same role, but they aren't interchangeable. It also betrays a huge lack of faith in these characters that DC doesn't think they can be amazing or successful without riding on the coattails of other characters that earned their fame from the ground up (admittedly in eras where that was much more achievable).
    Two of the best post in this entire thread. *Cheers*
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Like every other era from DC's history, I enjoyed most of what transpired under Didio's tenure. I wish him good luck in whatever else he does. As for the future, who knows?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    this is one of the few things that I keep seeing on regards to critisism against Didio
    and it is true
    but the reality is that this would be true for anyone on the same position.
    Everyone has biases.
    People don't care about the biases of other people if they agree with said biases, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Wasn't a woman the DC boss for quite some time?
    Jenette Kahn

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    If someone did blow the whistle regarding 5G, and the higher ups came in and found out that there were more things involved (the mass leaving of editors and a toxic work environment, for example), they'll want to know why no one had brought it to their attention until just now.
    So I really don't think anyone currently employed at DC will get promoted.
    Least of all the person that blew the whistle.

I think they'll hire someone from somewhere else.
    I've suspected for a while now that if Didio ever did get the ax that Warners would bring in someone from their management team to make sure there is synergy with the movies. Top down management from a yes man who will turn the company into a promotion house for the movies. I kind of wonder if this wasn't in the works ever since the buyout last year.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Truth be told, the least convoluted version of the DCU is definitely the pre-Crisis incarnation. There's almost no disputing it at this point.
    It also didn't have the factions among DC fans that we have now. Not that I think it should have stayed intact as it was, mind you. I thought it's relative lack of diversity was a problem even back in the '70s.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I've suspected for a while now that if Didio ever did get the ax that Warners would bring in someone from their management team to make sure there is synergy with the movies. Top down management from a yes man who will turn the company into a promotion house for the movies. I kind of wonder if this wasn't in the works ever since the buyout last year.
    You know, that's probably what comics actually needs. Easily digestible content that anyone can understand with the characters they are looking for. Not these dumb ass direct market driven events and gimmicks that only a handful of highly passionate hardcores can understand and will bother following. If it takes a yes man in a suit to do that instead of comic fans who have been in the industry for decades, then great! Bring on the yes man. Get these nerds in line. The comics industry has become some bizarre niche bubble and it's time an outsider came and popped it and exploited the billion dollar characters found there to their potential.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 02-22-2020 at 07:52 AM.

Sounds like really bad timing considering that, from what BC said, 5G will still go on as planned so it will be probably be worse than it was going to be under Didio since he actually wanted to do it. Now we'll have people who don't want to do it playing along for 8-12 months? And then we'll get another massive event explaining how continuity changed again and how this time you should really pay attention?

Incredible Member

Personally, I have nothing against Didio, and I do hope that professionally, he lands on his feet.

But I also recognize that my interest in DC comics started to decline right around 2004, and the return of Hal, Barry, and storylines like Flashpoint, New 52, and Rebirth made it even worse.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

So is that mean 5G would be cancelled?
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think we've seen that the wider audience is averse to legacy though.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    I think people want more diversity in their heroes rather than homogenized... Into the Spider-Verse was a huge hit critically, and that was basically a Bat Family movie with Spider-Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    To be fair, the general audience has little idea that legacy is even a thing with DC.

In larger media, how many examples do we have of legacy? We've got some examples in Young Justice, with stuff like Dick becoming Nightwing and new Robins coming after him, we've got Aqualad stepping up to Aquaman......there's the old Batman cartoon that also went through a Robin or two.....Batman Beyond......and really, that's about it. It's hard for an audience to care about legacy when they have no idea it's a component of DC.

People know sidekicks are a thing, but that's not legacy.
    Oh the wider audience definitely wouldn't be averse to legacy, I don't think. They may even fully embrace it in some instances.

But there isn't the burden of expectations with them. They are a bigger, less fussy audience who isn't (yet) going to break into sub-factions and have passionate and exhausting debates over who should have what mantle. Or care too much about continuity, they just want an easily digestible story with the characters they are interested in. They are gonna go into Teen Titans and expect to see Robin, they won't care about the legacy aspect of it so it being Dick Grayson wouldn't bother them. And they can play out the Nightwing arc and a second Robin, but they are not gonna go up in arms if it isn't the Robin legacy of their choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So how long do you wait to bring in Tim Drake, Jason & Damian? When do POC show up?
    The POC characters that aren't sharing mantles with anyone would show up rather easily.

We've already seen this, even in a poorly planned reboot. The New 52 set Superman back to the beginning of his career, and John Henry showed up in the first arc. Adherence to the proper debuting order clearly didn't mean much there. Same could be true for the likes of Vixen, Black Lightning, Vibe, Kimiyo Hoshi, Element Woman, Aztek, etc, who are in the same age group as the main JL and don't have to sit around and wait for legacy mantles to come their way.