Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Superman, Batman, etc. will never become public domain. Disney will make sure nothing after 1928 ever does.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Superman, Batman, etc. will never become public domain. Disney will make sure nothing after 1928 ever does.
    That's too bad. These characters should and would be better of in the hands of public if you ask me.

Disney's only got three years left of Mickey, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I think we're up to 1922.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Four years. This year, stuff from 1924 entered the Public Domain.
    But they'll try to force another change to the copyright laws.

I think they could be successful in getting it extended for four more years, to a total of 100 years after creation.
    But anything beyond that would be absurd, as anybody involved in the creation of something is almost certainly dead and gone by 100 years.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Exactly. Mickey and a lot of other characters, including Superman and Batman I think, should have hit public domain long ago, under the original ruling. But Disney and WB (and others) have succeeded in extending the law two or three times already, I believe. And there's no reason to think this next time will be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That's too bad. These characters should and would be better of in the hands of public if you ask me.
    I've thought the same thing. But then, look at other characters in the public domain; it's not a reassuring image.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I've thought the same thing. But then, look at other characters in the public domain; it's not a reassuring image.
    It would be hit and miss (and more of the latter than the former, IMO).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It would be hit and miss (and more of the latter than the former, IMO).
    I don't think anybody who loves DC's characters and storytelling heritage is licking his/her chops at the prospect of the entire legacy being consigned to the realm of bad fan fiction.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I don't think anybody who loves DC's characters and storytelling heritage is licking his/her chops at the prospect of the entire legacy being consigned to the realm of bad fan fiction.

That sounds unspeakably awful. And it's a very real possibility one day .
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

If fanfiction is any indication, pretty much every story will include Bat Characters. I like 'em, but it's frustrating that it's so difficult to find a Jon Kent or Billy Batson or even Clark Kent story that doesn't feature a Bat. Or else ship Clark with Lex. I know, I know, I could write fanfic myself if I wanted something different - I lack the talent.

question
    If Batman/Superman/etc become public domain, is it that just the whole concept of Batman or only Bruce Wayne
    like for example
    if the Flash becomes public domain, that would only be Jay not Wally/Barry/etc

The only thing that will go into public domain is the actual comics. They will then be free to reprint, distribute, and sell by any entity without paying royalties or permission from DC.

The characters of Batman or Superman or Wonder Woman has never been copyrighted. They have been trademarked, and will continue to be so. That also means it's tricky to market any Superman reprints.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    question
    If Batman/Superman/etc become public domain, is it that just the whole concept of Batman or only Bruce Wayne
    like for example
    if the Flash becomes public domain, that would only be Jay not Wally/Barry/etc
    It's based on when the book was published. There are already a few stories of Batman and Superman early days that could be potentially be used today. (Not all.Only the stories and items contained at the time of each published book can be used.)

But you would/should be a very brave or wealthy person to attempt it. Since at the current time whether it's public domain or not the company would be stupid not to challenge it, take the person to court, and then lock them down in legal fee's until the person decided it wasn't worth it or goes broke.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Good thing we don't have that now!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    It's based on when the book was published. There are already a few stories of Batman and Superman early days that could be potentially be used today. (Not all.Only the stories and items contained at the time of each published book can be used.)

But you would/should be a very brave or wealthy person to attempt it. Since at the current time whether it's public domain or not the company would be stupid not to challenge it, take the person to court, and then lock them down in legal fee's until the person decided it wasn't worth it or goes broke.
    I see so one could tell a story of a superman that cant fly for example
    or no Kryptonite since that was years later.

Good thing we don't have that now!
    lol