Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I hope this doesn’t mean that Grant Morrison won’t be doing much DC work in the future. Didio and Grant seemed to have a great working relationship to the point that Grant had an open contract and could pretty much undertake any project he was interested in. His run on Green Lantern has been great. I just hope this doesn’t dissuade him from pitching new DC projects.
    Was it Morrison who recently showed he did in fact get some of the problems with the Didio era and it's ever more final ultimate mega crisis mentality, with the bit where Superman tells "evil" Hal and give just such a speech in GL? Whoever did it, it was telling IMO, with Superman voicing concerns that have been voiced by way too many fans.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Disney has no reason to buy in the first place seeing as Superman and Batman will hit public domain in a decade anyways. Granted they wont have what came later but will be fully able to utilize their own Batman and Superman assuming legislation doesn't change again.
    A very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    If they did a Wally West Flash series there would be a lot to address:

1. How long ago did Barry Allen become the Flash?
    2. How long ago did Wally West become Kid Flash?
    3. How many super-villains are active? Which ones?
    4. How did Barry die?
    5. How long ago did Barry die?
    6. How long has Wally been The Flash?
    7. Is it publicly known that Kid Flash is the new Flash?
    8. Why has nobody ever mentioned any of these guys in Arrow, where costumed vigilantes are treated as a new thing and super-powers are unheard of?

A Bart Allen Flash series? Even more issues.

Why jump through any of these hoops? What is the advantage? The show runners took the path of least resistance and started at the beginning, with a Flash who wasn't front-loaded with lore.
    Your asking all the wrong questions and not focusing on what matters. Story telling does not have to be a liner thing.

Prime example of this very thing working is Iron Man having Two movies before the release of Captain America. Even closer to home Synder's Superman coming before Wonder Woman. We're also talking about a character who moves faster than the eye can see. Barry Allen could literally be the Flash without anyone in that universe even knowing about it. There are sooooo many ways to tell his and the branching characters stories that would have done them justice.

It's fine that you don't get it. But making excuses for a company/management is going to win you any prizes, is all I'm saying.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-23-2020 at 08:15 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Disney has no reason to buy in the first place seeing as Superman and Batman will hit public domain in a decade anyways. Granted they wont have what came later but will be fully able to utilize their own Batman and Superman assuming legislation doesn't change again.
    There are two different sets of legal frameworks that are at play here: copyrights and trademarks.

What will happen to Superman will be similar to what has already happened to lots of popular creations, in this case Conan.

The Superman stories themselves will gradually fall into the public domain, meaning that reproductions of them can be sold freely.

However, the trademarks are still valid, in use, and defended, and probably will be as DC publishes comics and have a clue nobody else is allowed to sell new stories and call them "superman" stories, nor sell merchandises with the S shield.

I can recommend IP-rimer: A Basic Explanation of Intellectual Property for further reading. Will Frank knows what he's talking about here.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If they did a Wally West Flash series there would be a lot to address:

1. How long ago did Barry Allen become the Flash?
    2. How long ago did Wally West become Kid Flash?
    3. How many super-villains are active? Which ones?
    4. How did Barry die?
    5. How long ago did Barry die?
    6. How long has Wally been The Flash?
    7. Is it publicly known that Kid Flash is the new Flash?
    8. Why has nobody ever mentioned any of these guys in Arrow, where costumed vigilantes are treated as a new thing and super-powers are unheard of?

A Bart Allen Flash series? Even more issues.

Why jump through any of these hoops? What is the advantage? The show runners took the path of least resistance and started at the beginning, with a Flash who wasn't front-loaded with lore.
    1)i would say 10 years.
    2)same amount of time.wally was 13,when accident happened that transformed barry and him.
    3)as many as they want.
    4)in anyways that feels impactful and it should be the second scene. Wally with the flash costume or body. To make audience question who the dude was.First scene would wally failing at something and trying like saving someone . He would say " my name is wally west. I am fast but i am not the fastest. But, i am positive that i will get there sometime ". Wally even with the failure would be optimistic.
    5)maybe weeks or months. Wally should be grieving and trying to fill in his shoes.
    6)less than same amount of time. He hasn't become a fully formed flash.
    7)no,the public is either grieving or wondering where the flash. The former is my pick. Make barry this huge symbol, like allmight.
    8)if they wanted and they knew they were gearing up for the flash show. Because it takes time to do these series . A name drop would have been sufficient. Then have wally show up. Also, league of shadows was operational in Arrowverse wasn't it?something like that.

Why jump through all the hoops? It's one hell of a coming of age story. As said, storytelling doesn't need to be linear.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-23-2020 at 08:11 AM.

They wanted to make a Flash show, set in the Arrow universe, starting from the beginning of the story. Barry Allen suited those purposes better than Wally West.

If they wanted to do something completely different, then they could have done something completely different. But they didn't want to. They wanted to start with a clean slate.
    Yep, the Arrowverse had already established that Ollie was the first hero. If there had already been a Barry-Flash running around to set up a Wally-Flash, why wouldn’t we have heard of him? It would have taken a lot of convoluted storytelling to get us there and why would a brand new show take all that on? Easy answer: it wouldn’t.

As much as I’d love to believe the superhero shows are just for me, they’re not. In order to suceed they have to appeal to a much wider audience than just the comics fanbase.

That said, given this thread is about Didio’s choices and departure...The CW’s decisions are not Didio’s. Didio’s decisions to sideline Wally in the comics in favor of Barry are a different matter!

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    There are two different sets of legal frameworks that are at play here: copyrights and trademarks.

What will happen to Superman will be similar to what has already happened to lots of popular creations, in this case Conan.

The Superman stories themselves will gradually fall into the public domain, meaning that reproductions of them can be sold freely.

However, the trademarks are still valid, in use, and defended, and probably will be as DC publishes comics and have a clue nobody else is allowed to sell new stories and call them "superman" stories, nor sell merchandises with the S shield.

I can recommend IP-rimer: A Basic Explanation of Intellectual Property for further reading. Will Frank knows what he's talking about here.
    Wouldn't the old original s sheild and costume fall into public domain?as far as i know it isn't trademarked. Is it?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They wouldn't. Diamond is a monopoly too, but the government doesn't intervene as it just sees them as another magazine distributor. They make no distinction between comic books and other periodicals. As such, Marvel and DC having the same owner and dominating the comic book industry won't be seen as a problem, because they don't dominate the magazine market.
    But Diamond is relevant really only to comic books, which is a relatively small industry. Disney not only owns Marvel, but they own LucasFilm, National Geographic, Hulu, Pixar, ESPN, ABC, the History Channel, and now pretty much all of Twentieth Century Fox and their affiliated companies. So, yeah, Disney is a media empire, and a monopoly of that scale would have much more impact than the one that Diamond commands.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Wouldn't the old original s sheild and costume fall into public domain?as far as i know it isn't trademarked. Is it?
    IANAL, but under conservative use of copyright law, copyright doesn't cover designs.

Logotypes and brands are far more under the purview of trademark law.

And if you are willing to brave DC's and WB's lawyers, you are welcome to try. I wouldn't recommend it.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Hopefully this means he'll have time to team up with Keith Giffen and do more OMAC. Man, that was a fun book.

IANAL, but under conservative use of copyright law, copyright doesn't cover designs.

Logotypes and brands are far more under the purview of trademark law.

And if you are willing to brave DC's and WB's lawyers, you are welcome to try. I wouldn't recommend it.
    Nah! Was just curious. Lol! I am goo. I heard nerdsync saying something of the sort (don't remember) . So i wanted to ask.
    Edit-i rewatched it. He did say logo was trademarkes. Anyways thanks for clarifying.

Fantastic Member

Conan actually hasn't fully fallen in public domain yet (he was created in 1932, so it will actually hit him in 2027). There's some stories in public domain due to failing to renew them, including his earliest published ones, but it's a much more complex situation than just outright falling in public domain. There would almost certainly be some legal battle, which is why you don't see a bunch of different takes on Conan popping up yet.

Although, yes, either way, trademarks will continue in play so it will limit what others can do with using their names for title or promotion and any trademarked symbol in promotion. However, I don't think this would be a big issue to Marvel. They already have a brand like "Avengers" where they could easily integrate Superman and Batman without needing to use their names as part of the titles, and there's also how the characters are so well known its easy to give them titles that would be recognizable for solo features even if they aren't their actual names.
    Last edited by NeonZ; 02-23-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    But Diamond is relevant really only to comic books, which is a relatively small industry. Disney not only owns Marvel, but they own LucasFilm, National Geographic, Hulu, Pixar, ESPN, ABC, the History Channel, and now pretty much all of Twentieth Century Fox and their affiliated companies. So, yeah, Disney is a media empire, and a monopoly of that scale would have much more impact than the one that Diamond commands.
    Like I said, Diamond are just treated like any other magazine distributor, so the size of the industry is irrelevant. The government's position is that the monopoly isn't there. And the suggestion in the post I quoted only refers to DC Comics. If they took over all of Warner Bros, yes, that would be a competition watchdog concern. But just DC isn't.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I really doubt the higher-ups as WB or AT&T measure the talent pool of DC.

However, they can and do measure if a department suddenly starts bleeding people, especially senior (that is, hard to replace) people. And a poor work environment that makes people quit is also a work environment that runs a risk of lawsuits, something which they definitely wants to avoid.

And one of the prime drivers for getting the talent is having a good work environment. Talent scouting and detection is one of the things every editor at a place like DC needs to do, but it's also low on the priority list compared to getting the next issue out on time. With a poor work environment, it's much more likely to fall by the wayside. Or, wrost case, the editor knows that the creator will have a better chance to develop with another publisher.

I'm sure there might be more stuff that lies behind DiDio's removal from office, probably including pissing off people above him. But I'm also fairly sure that Bleeding Cool got the basics right, and it certainly fits with many of the stories we have heard and are hearing about him.
    Right, I get that. I didn't quite elaborate what I meant. If DC was doing great, there SHOULD be some sort of trickle down effect of positive things to counter the negative things. If DC is king, maybe Dan isn't voicing (literally) his disagreeing opinion as much in the office. Maybe they take more chances on ideas, creators, etc, due to lack of desperation. Maybe the work environment is still bad, but if everyone is getting paid slightly more, it's easier to tolerate and ignore, so there's less turnover noticeable to the WB execs. etc etc. But on another layer, if DC's sales were greater, maybe the WB execs wouldn't care as much about the editor turnover, toxic work environment, etc.

Of course, in the hypothetical scenario of landing more major talent, that wouldn't necessarily mean sales would go up that much more. But I still think if DC landed more marquee talent, they likely wouldn't be in the same situation(s) as they have the past handful of years.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    Conan actually hasn't fully fallen in public domain yet (he was created in 1932, so it will actually hit him in 2027). There's some stories in public domain due to failing to renew them, including his earliest published ones, but it's a much more complex situation than just outright falling in public domain. There would almost certainly be some legal battle, which is why you don't see a bunch of different takes on Conan popping up yet.

Although, yes, either way, trademarks will continue in play so it will limit what others can do with using their names for title or promotion and any trademarked symbol in promotion. However, I don't think this would be a big issue to Marvel. They already have a brand like "Avengers" where they could easily integrate Superman and Batman without needing to use their names as part of the titles, and there's also how the characters are so well known its easy to give them titles that would be recognizable for solo features even if they aren't their actual names.
    I would imagine the House Of The Mouse is diligently working to extend legal possession of IP. Next decade ought to be interesting.