Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    He is italian.
    As in born and grown up in Italy?
    First time I have heard this.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    He also wrote Sideways, which was great.
    Oh yeah! Sideways was pretty fantastic. Easily my favorite book out of the New Age line, other than Terrifics. I knew there was a book he did that I enjoyed fairly recently but could not remember which it was. Thanks!

If Didio writes comics for Image I wouldn't refuse to read them. I hate managers who run their business like he did (see that story someone posted about him always losing his temper) but I can separate the work from the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I thought he grew up in New York or something? He sounds like a New Yorker. I'm pretty sure he's just American. Maybe he and his family were/are still in touch with their Italian heritage, I don't know, but I always feel like an American saying they're "Italian" or "Scottish" or whatever is....not entirely true. Like, did you grow up there? Do you speak the native language? If not, you're just an American with ancestors who came from somewhere else, y'know?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Italian American. Lot of those retain some of their culture.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I thought he grew up in New York or something? He sounds like a New Yorker. I'm pretty sure he's just American. Maybe he and his family were/are still in touch with their Italian heritage, I don't know, but I always feel like an American saying they're "Italian" or "Scottish" or whatever is....not entirely true. Like, did you grow up there? Do you speak the native language? If not, you're just an American with ancestors who came from somewhere else, y'know?
    OK, I've got it. Yes, I think that he's a New Yorker with some Italian ancestors (grandparents or anything). Like Anthony Fauci, I guess. I don't think that he has a real knowledge of Italian language or anything, but sure he knows (and willingly adapts to) the most common stereotypes about Italians, or Italian Americans
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

OK, I've got it. Yes, I think that he's a New Yorker with some Italian ancestors (grandparents or anything). Like Anthony Fauci, I guess. I don't think that he has a real knowledge of Italian language or anything, but sure he knows (and willingly adapts to) the most common stereotypes about Italians, or Italian Americans
    Aaee, wassamatta w' stereotypes, dere Tony?

sorry. Couldn't resist.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Aaee, wassamatta w' stereotypes, dere Tony?

sorry. Couldn't resist.
    Funny fact: I had never seen this gesture https://www.nestpick.com/magazine/wp...-gestures.jpeg as a way to reinforce someone's statement before watching 100% American movies which included some stereotypical Italian American character.
    For some bizarre reason I can't understand, this specific meaning of the gesture is NOT the original one. It belongs, and is strictly limited, to US culture, like modern fortune cookies. The gesture DOES exist in Italy and it's a pretty common one, but the hand is never above the head and it simply means "what are you talking about?" or "what the the hell are you doing?", as a surprised and vaguely incredulous reaction to someone doing something stupid or not understandable.
    The more you know...

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Italian American. Lot of those retain some of their culture.
    Being half-Italian myself, I can attest to that.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?