Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Come to think of it, I don’t like Johns for the job. The guy is fixated on telling stories about the DCU. What we need is stories about the heroes of the DCU.
    I'm sure Johns is done with having a corporate position at DC. He's a writer not an executive, so just let him write.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'm sure Johns is done with having a corporate position at DC. He's a writer not an executive, so just let him write.
    Yep, he said he prefers writing and doesn't like sitting in meetings as one of the reasons he left his past psoition at DC.

WHY EXACTLY WAS DIDIO FIRED? HERE ARE SOME DETAILS...

Here's the text of Bleeding Cool's reasons why DiDio was fired. It confirms what Newsarama had reported (DiDio reported to work as normal on Friday morning (yesterday), began his day posting on DC's retailer-only Facebook page, and took meetings with comics talent) because DiDio was abruptly fired at 10:30 yesterday morning (LA time) and then meetings were held with DC staff to alert them of this.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ave-dc-comics/

Bleeding Cool now understands that yes, DiDio was fired this morning by Warner Bros at 10.30am PT in their Burbank offices and he left the building straight away. I am told by sources close to the situation that he was fired, for cause, for 'fostering a poor work environment' – as evidenced, as we previously stated, by significant departures at the publisher by editors. Dan DiDio has a reputation of being a micro-manager from some, for being very involved in projects from others. And DC Comics was heading towards a big change in its publishing programme – one aspect of which was the much-rumoured 5G – or Generation Five. Which would have seen DC's major figures Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Diana and more aged out and replaced with new characters taking the roles of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman as part of the new DC Timeline. And some folk at DC Comics were very much against this. But opposition never worried Dan, after all he was at constant odds with the direction the company line was pushed for pretty much his entire career as Publisher, and was always was striving to put comics first, as he saw it.

But in recent months, there seemed to be editorial backtracks on the direction given, details changes and a general sense of frustration that the clock was ticking and that nothing was being done. We saw a rapid departure in DC editorial of Pat McCallum, Alex Antone, Molly Mahan, Rob Levin and others. Could this have been a factor?

So Why Did Dan DiDio Leave DC Comics Anyway?

Certainly, DiDio's departure was a surprise – to him as it was everyone else. I understand that it was internally announced at a series of small staff meetings at Burbank today. Though no one seems to have told the executives attending ComicsPRO, who had to read about it on Bleeding Cool on their mobile phones – and who sharply exited the conference as a result. Jim Lee is the remaining Publisher and CCO at DC, and so will be steering the ship for the foreseeable future. Is it too late to change the upcoming C2E2 panel Meet The Publishers to the singular now?

Also at ComicsPRO, there was a lot of discussion amongst retailers about DiDio's firing, with comic book writer Scott Snyder's name being mentioned a lot as a factor. Internally at DC Comics, Snyder was seen as someone opposed to what was being planned with 5G, and thought it could harm retailers.

Snyder and DiDio were not eye-to-eye creatively, but I understand that Snyder merely wanted to keep his upcoming Death Metal comic book as far away from 5G/Generation Five as possible, intending to use the series to celebrate DC's 85 years to date, rather than anything forward-looking. This frustrated DiDio's plans to introduce 5G with Death Metal. And as a result, mentions of Death Metal were taken out of the planned Generation Zero: Gods Among Us story for Free Comic Book Day.

It is now possible that DC's Free Comic Book Day offering may change again as a result, even though it is up for FOC this weekend. But all this is being worked out in real-time this weekend at Burbank.

As of now? According to people working on it, 5G is still launching in October. In what shape or form, I haven't a clue.

This was my 1300th post.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-22-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    WHY EXACTLY WAS DIDIO FIRED? HERE ARE SOME DETAILS...

Here's the text of Bleeding Cool's reasons why DiDio was fired. It confirms what Newsarama had reported (DiDio reported to work as normal on Friday morning (yesterday), began his day posting on DC's retailer-only Facebook page, and took meetings with comics talent) because DiDio was abruptly fired at 10:30 yesterday morning (LA time) and then meetings were held with DC staff to alert them of this.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ave-dc-comics/

This was my 1300th post.
    Congrats dude. I had no idea Snyder and DiDio were at odds but yeah, I kinda feel like it would be pretty exhausting if Death Metal was used to shill 5G seeing as Doomsday Clock already got that treatment.

Really have to wonder what the impact of Didio’s departure will be on 5G, given that event is already unfolding in current books (starting with Wonder Woman #750). If remaining writers/editors were against it, will the aging up of the trinity in favor of replacements get dialed back? And was Didio’s championing 5G part of the problem?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Already happened. What would that accomplish again at this point.
    I think some people follow comics out of spite.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Already happened. What would that accomplish again at this point.
    Besides, Barry is going to be king of the speedsters regardless of who is in charge at this point.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Besides, Barry is going to be king of the speedsters regardless of who is in charge at this point.
    Moreover, I never thought Didio actively championed the return of Hal and Barry in the 2000s as much as he did not oppose it. The previous regime had that anti-Silver/Bronze Age hangup, but Didio didn't.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Moreover, I never thought Didio actively championed the return of Hal and Barry in the 2000s as much as he did not oppose it. The previous regime had that anti-Silver/Bronze Age hangup, but Didio didn't.

There was a DC Nation where he proudly stated that when he took an editorial position, he did so to bring back Hal and Barry.

Barry and Hal aren’t going anywhere, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves. I say that as someone who likes Wally more than Barry.

BANNED

Less Titans burial.

Anyway they will probably scrap the replacement part of 5G and aging.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    That's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Didio
    "From the time I started work at DC, I had a plan - no scratch that, a desire to bring back Hal Jordan and Barry Allen"
    This is pretty much a signed confession.

From the start he wanted to bring back Barry Allen. First in Infinite Crisis with Bilson/Dimeo of the old Flash tv show writing the book. That fell through and we got Bart as the Flash. Then with Lightning Saga. Which again fell through and ended with the return of Wally. Then finally with Final Crisis and Flash Rebirth. In other words Didio is the prime mover behind the return of Barry Allen. In that he championed for the return of Barry. For example in FC, it was originally suppose to be a Barry from another universe (like the Aquaman in FC) and that was changed because of Didio.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-22-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Probably good for casual fans. Good for business. Sucks for fans like me - I love continuity. Bad continuity has made me drop more than one tv show. It just feels lazy and it also means there no consequences to any story, not necessarily any consistent characterization, and no need to ]keep tuning in the same characters, since nothing I saw in the last story matters in more. It's like I'd watch the movie, but no the tv show. For a standalone it's fine, but in any continuing series of any sort (comic, book, tv, movie), there's no reason to check out the next one if the one I liked is likely to be totally disregarded with it. There's nothing to build on, nothing to keep my interest from one to the next.
    I stand by what I said-stop worrying about that continuity and work on good stories.

Now behind the scenes you can work on a series Bible for everybody based on who you already have on your roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    That's wrong.

This is pretty much a signed confession.
    It might be. Except for the story that EVS had to push hard to get Barry brought back and nearly had to twist Didio's arm, and Didio is well known for taking the heat on decisions even when he had nothing to do with them. That guy thrives on confrontation and debate and loves being at the center of it. As a manager I appreciate his willingness to take the blame so his employees didn't have to, even if the man took things way too far and often antagonized the fanbase just for the sake of trolling.

Maybe Didio did fight for Hal and Barry's return. Maybe he just took the credit/blame. In either case, while I don't think either were necessary directions, both Kyle and Wally had fallen on hard times and their sales were low, so I can't say it was a *bad* decision either. Not the one I would have made; I'd have left them both dead. But I don't think its a foul ball either, just a play I wouldn't have made.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Barry and Hal aren’t going anywhere, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves. I say that as someone who likes Wally more than Barry.
    Well, they could give prominence to barry and hal in Earth-1985. Have wally and kyle be earth-0's prominent guys.