Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I don't know about AT&T micromanaging DC, but I agree on a lot depends on who steps in to take DiDio's place. And true, 5G could still happen, but right now, it very well could get derailed now. Not to mention the current direction of the comics as a whole.
    now here is a question
    does anyone need to replace Didio?
    once again Lee is still Publisher, he could just continue with 5G

I thik the worst possible outcome is not that 5G doesnt happen but that DC becomes aimless for a while and then we get hit by The New 52 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    now here is a question
    does anyone need to replace Didio?
    once again Lee is still Publisher, he could just continue with 5G

I thik the worst possible outcome is not that 5G doesnt happen but that DC becomes aimless for a while and then we get hit by The New 52 2.0
    Why can Didio if you're going to just continue on with his plans?

I will wait at least a year or two before celebrating, we don't know what wiil happen it could be really bad for DC comics.

I mean a lot of Dan’s plans don’t work out well. In some regards His new 52 plan wasn’t the best for Dc more comics were canceled or ended than stayed. Not only that but certain characters has Dc in trouble because of how they changed him. Do we really did the 5G ?

I don't really know much about DiDio, so can't really comment on what this will mean for DC long-term, especially on the creative side. But the rest of the top leadership (Harras, Lee) remains in place, so I'm not sure it will mean any immediate changes in creative direction, or demands for such.

Bleeding Cool lists "result of high staff turnover at DC of late, issues with editorial and publishing plans" as reasons, and those are plausible reasons for a parent corporation to step in. We have seen lots of delays and curtailed runs, especially on the Black Label side, and I can imagine that the earlier downsizing of upper management last year has had plenty of knock-off effects or wasn't managed well.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I don't know about AT&T micromanaging DC, but I agree on a lot depends on who steps in to take DiDio's place. And true, 5G could still happen, but right now, it very well could get derailed now. Not to mention the current direction of the comics as a whole.
    Thing about 5G is that it's already started - WW2 Wonder Woman is out, Flash #750 & FCBD Gen 0 have gone to print [FCBD has long lead-in times, hence DC sidestepping it with their main book the last couple of years in favour of a cheap book the week before - they missed their deadlines.] With it started, any steering away from it will be blatant even to a casual observer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    BC are suggesting it's personnel-related, not creative-direction related.

Watch out for Bendis.

Before we all start to celebrate, let's find out what this actually is, where Didio ends up in the company (if he holds any position at all) and most importantly, who replaces him and what they intend to do. We need someone who appreciates DC yes, but we also need someone who will be daring, look beyond their own opinions, and most of all, we need someone who has an actionable plan to get the industry in better health. So this person who replaces Didio has to be a long-term fan, an executive without ego, and a genius businessperson. That's a tall order to fill. Oh, and they'll also have to be capable of navigating the other higher ups in DC as well as AT&T. So an executive without ego, who can make all the big egos in the room do what needs to be done. Who, pray tell, is this miracle of humanity?

We may well end up worse than we are. We may end up somewhere better. Or we might end up in the same damn place. We can't blame Didio for all of DC's ills. He's done plenty that did damage, yes, but not everything is his fault either. Even some of the great ideas that DC had that were well executed have fallen flat because as much as the industry needs to evolve and shift, the fandom doesn't easily accept change.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-21-2020 at 03:12 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Dan has left the building
    BB

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Welp, after Rebirth and his comments about Endgame, I say its time for fresh leadership.
    What did he say about Endgame?

Does anyone know who's next in line?

Oh wait he's co with Jim Lee
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-21-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

The biggest surprise is that it didn't happen years ago, and he managed to hang on as long as he did. It's been one shambles after another. DiDio was very lucky that he had Geoff Johns when he did, though he never seemed to fully appreciate everything Geoff did for DC.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    What did he say about Endgame?

Does anyone know who's next in line?

Oh wait he's co with Jim Lee

"I went and explained to people why I hated Infinity War. The reason why I hated Infinity War was because they were doing comics better than comics were doing," DiDio told Collider at Comic-Con. "They were telling character stories. They had big epic adventure. They were doing emotional arcs for the characters. It was a real sense of continuity, crossover and creativity going on in a movie that we should have been doing in comics."

And all I can say is, finally he is gone!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
    "I went and explained to people why I hated Infinity War. The reason why I hated Infinity War was because they were doing comics better than comics were doing," DiDio told Collider at Comic-Con. "They were telling character stories. They had big epic adventure. They were doing emotional arcs for the characters. It was a real sense of continuity, crossover and creativity going on in a movie that we should have been doing in comics."

And all I can say is, finally he is gone!
    Oh that Endgame. I haven't watched any superhero movies since Captain America First Avengers so I can't say XD

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    well, we still dont know if he was canned but it was not only his plans, there are many writers and editors involved.
    I think its a little too late to a change of direction, but not too late for a change of implementation.

What I mean by this is that 5g most likely will happen but definitely will not be the same 5g that Didio had in mind.

Now I might be wrong and DC's new leadership could pivot to a completely different direction but this course of action makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine322 View Post
    Watch out for Bendis.
    I was thinking this as well
    Bendis might rise even higher in the vacuum of power
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 02-21-2020 at 03:21 PM.

From what we heard, WB corporate was in favor of 5G or at least some elements that led to 5G, so that might still be in the cards.