Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    My biggest fear when I heard this was that Didio was just the beginning of a larger purge. Didn't the head of AT&T say something like "there are no sacred cows"? If they think the entire comics division is too much hassle my guess is they wouldn't think twice about junking it. Especially if they think they can pull in more money from TV shows and movies. Didio's firing could be more of a warning than a one off event.
    Jamal Ingel-who has worked at DC on and off since he was 17 years old pointed out on his Twitter-DC brings in about 5 billion a year from everything from comics, toys and other stuff. At most to run DC is about $10 million a year.

Why pull the plug when it's making you money in some form?

The trick is how the heck to make comics appeal to a wide audience again (go back to days of audience changing frequently?). And I have no idea how to resolve that one, except that I'd probably appeal to kids at least at first (fewer prejudices against the medium), and then branch out into other genres before as comics used to (even though I myself am a person who reads comics because I like superheroes, not because I like the medium).
    Easy STOP with event derailing books for a cheap sales boost. You want to have Supergirl be in Death Metal-FINE do her like Marvel did Miles in Ultimate Carnage-he had his own 3 part mini. His book got left alone.

Then cut down on variants. Do I need 47 variants for Wonder Woman's milestone issue? You want to make those special? Let folks do a Final Order Cutoff at stores for the cover that they want.

If you are going after kids-UNDERSTAND and make it CLEAR to those 40 years olds (especially the gators and doomsayers)-we are going to use folks YOU don't care for. Get over it.
    With Moon Girl, Riri & Shuri running around-there is ZERO excuse for Vixen & Bumblebee to be collecting dust. They need to be out there with Naomi & Jo. Along with Thunder & Lighting from Black Lightning show.
    The market for black boy lead books is OPEN for whoever wants it. Miles & Panther are taking it-Dc can't wait on Static-Luke, BL, Duke, Cyborg and John need to be out there.

The money is there is you know where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    I second all of this: Tom King's Murder Factory wasnt something good for any Character.
    So many characters unnecessarily slaughtered
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm glad he was able to get a heartfelt and positive sendoff.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

That video was from when DC moved from NYC to Burbank, or are you referring to all the creators who have responded to Didio's firing on Twitter? It seems that he's a complex man, and a great many people genuinely like him.

BANNED

I wonder if he will be returning to New York...

This means me to wonder if 5G will think. The guy wasn't really the best planner. Even he admitted to not having even things planned. The same thing happened with New 52. And in some cases, it was not the best thing to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Except they'd all end up contradicting each other (which I guess the kinda already do).

I like continuity - if every story is in it's own continuity, I'm not very interested and would be much more likely to pick-and-choose and not read an entire title. I don't mind reading "flashback" stories all within the same continuity, but I don't like them rewriting the past, generally, and I don't like for them to interrupt a currently-in-progress story.
    I already wrote an answer to this, but I realised that I didn't cover some key aspects.

I fully get that continuity is important and valuable. It provides a skeleton for investment and knowing the relations between the characters (and lots of superhero comics have lots in common with soap operas in this regard). But I think there are different types of continuity, and different ways to establish it.

New 52 was an attempt to force everything into one single, strict, overlapping, and chronologically told continuity. 5G looks similar, but with several eras that stories can be set in. It looks better planned than 52, but will run into the same issues of excessively detailed timelines, having writers write to specification, interoffice coordination, and so on.

So what I'd like is a continuity that is more organic, or perhaps mythical. We know that Wonder Woman and Superman had a brief romance at one time, but we need not be told exactly when. Was it before of after Lois Lane learnt Clark Kent was Superman? Doesn't really matter, unless it becomes important to a story. At some point Falcone will throw acid at Harvey Dent, but will it happen before or after Poison Ivy makes her first appearance? That doesn't really matter unless it becomes a key point in their relation. Allow the good, classical stories to emerge, rather than trying to make everything conform to a set plan.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Jamal Ingel-who has worked at DC on and off since he was 17 years old pointed out on his Twitter-DC brings in about 5 billion a year from everything from comics, toys and other stuff. At most to run DC is about $10 million a year.

Easy STOP with event derailing books for a cheap sales boost. You want to have Supergirl be in Death Metal-FINE do her like Marvel did Miles in Ultimate Carnage-he had his own 3 part mini. His book got left alone.

Then cut down on variants. Do I need 47 variants for Wonder Woman's milestone issue? You want to make those special? Let folks do a Final Order Cutoff at stores for the cover that they want.

If you are going after kids-UNDERSTAND and make it CLEAR to those 40 years olds (especially the gators and doomsayers)-we are going to use folks YOU don't care for. Get over it.
    With Moon Girl, Riri & Shuri running around-there is ZERO excuse for Vixen & Bumblebee to be collecting dust. They need to be out there with Naomi & Jo. Along with Thunder & Lighting from Black Lightning show.
    The market for black boy lead books is OPEN for whoever wants it. Miles & Panther are taking it-Dc can't wait on Static-Luke, BL, Duke, Cyborg and John need to be out there.

Yes im sure DC makes a profit of 4.99 billion dollars a year from an investment of $10m....

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    So what I'd like is a continuity that is more organic, or perhaps mythical. We know that Wonder Woman and Superman had a brief romance at one time, but we need not be told exactly when. Was it before of after Lois Lane learnt Clark Kent was Superman? Doesn't really matter, unless it becomes important to a story.
    Does the new timeline mention that? Because currently, that's not in continuity at all due to Clark already being married.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Does the new timeline mention that? Because currently, that's not in continuity at all due to Clark already being married.
    Just pulling examples out of past stories.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member

Agreed.

If they want to connect with the PJ Masks age group (and/or the Miraculous Ladybug group), then just tell us up front.

Next, simplify. (The multiverse is a hot mess and has been for too long.)

Either hard reboot everything (with no exceptions) to a classic status...or move us to Earth 2021 and Earth 2022 (home-worlds for the JLA and the JSA respectively. Keep It Simple!). I feel a fresh start would make it easier for new readers to join (and less headaches and heartaches for us older readers).

Please note: I said 'hard reboot to a classic status' and did NOT say 'start at year 1'.

I think starting at year 3½ - 4¼ would work just fine. By classic status, I would mean for Batman (as an example): Batman (Wayne), Robin (Grayson), Batgirl (Gordon); Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, Vicki Vale; Riddler, Penguin, Joker, Catwoman. No introductions or origins needed.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This is why I think there needs to be more than one line. This is one of the few things I think Didio did right. Make things aimed at younger readers. New 53 may not have worked out but a separate kids line is.
    Assassinate Putin!

Easy STOP with event derailing books for a cheap sales boost.
    I agree, but this has been going on a long time - before Didio. I noticed in back issues from the late '80s during Millennium. Not to the same degree, but it's an old problem.

Spectacular Member

Default How soon will Dan Didio's exit take effect?

If Dan Didio's exit means that's there's going to be some changes within the comics, how soon will those changes take effect?

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

I think 3 or 5 years: if I'm not wrong that should be the necessary time to pass from the meetings where they decide their future editorial plan to the actual shipping of the books.