Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I don't think general audiences have any specific notion of who Robin is. It's a codename and a costume.

Robin might be a bigger brand than Nightwing; but, there's no need to kill the brand off.
    They also don't generally know or probably care that there is more than one Robin so there isn't as much of a pressing need to market all of them.

The LCS crowd cares more for the legacy component than the wider audience does, and it would defeat the purpose of breaking away from that model if you're just going to bring all the continuity baggage with it.

Finally our long National Nightmare is Over.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Good riddance.

This is awesome news. DC may be making some progress now. Hopefully Geoff Johns will be gone as well.
    Johns left sometime ago. He has his own company now (MadGhost Productions) and just kind of partners with DC as a freelancer

Honestly though it’s bizarre to point to him as a problem with DC after his incredible runs on Flash, JSA, and the early portion of Green Lantern. Even Doomsday Clock was highly enjoyable and he seemed to be getting DCs narrative direction back on track with rebirth before DiDio decided to go on a different direction with heroes in crisis and all the latest grim dark gimmicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Finally our long National Nightmare is Over.
    I'm not at all sure about that. At least, I don't have much confidence that a braintrust of Jim Lee and Bob Harras will improve things. I'll hope for the best starting with scrapping 5G, but whether they do or don't do that, there's still every opportunity that things could get even worse, as opposed to better.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm not at all sure about that. At least, I don't have much confidence that a braintrust of Jim Lee and Bob Harras will improve things. I'll hope for the best starting with scrapping 5G, but whether they do or don't do that, there's still every opportunity that things could get even worse, as opposed to better.
    My bet is that 5G happens, it just doesn't last all that long and get's swept under the rug after awhile with a few sticking around for spinoffs in team titles. Basically the Marvel approach.

Spectacular Member

Bleeding Cool says DC is planning to move away from the traditional comic talent pool and will try to recruit writers from TV and animation.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ro-big-change/

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They also don't generally know or probably care that there is more than one Robin so there isn't as much of a pressing need to market all of them.

The LCS crowd cares more for the legacy component than the wider audience does, and it would defeat the purpose of breaking away from that model if you're just going to bring all the continuity baggage with it.
    I don't think we've seen that the wider audience is averse to legacy though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    Bleeding Cool says DC is planning to move away from the traditional comic talent pool and will try to recruit writers from TV and animation.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ro-big-change/
    Could work. A lot of good writers in the animation side if you let them loose

Incredible Member

I think people want more diversity in their heroes rather than homogenized... Into the Spider-Verse was a huge hit critically, and that was basically a Bat Family movie with Spider-Man.

The general audience is completely capable of understanding, appreciating, and embracing the idea that there are multiple people who use the name Robin and Batgirl — but so far DC has not shown much willingness to give them wider exposure. But just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it's because it couldn't.

I think DC would be wise to play up the relatability of Robin and Batgirl as almost "self-insert" characters for the audience by emphasizing the diversity -- ie, there's at least one character who you can identify with. But that's jut IMO.

Dan DiDio (allegedly) once said, "We don't publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do 'Scooby-Doo.'" If that mindset leaves DC along with Dan, there may be hope for the future.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Well, I hate that anyone has lost a job...and I seriously do not see him being down for the count for too long, but I am glad he is gone. His public disdain for the readers and fans of particular characters was ridiculous. I would personally love to see Johns brought back in...or Jurgens given the spot (not that I expect WB to do anything remotely positive for the company.) We need someone in charge that understands comics, the characters and the fans. Didio did not understand any of that it seemed.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So kind of like the Geoff Johns approach, except he was a little more concerned about actually addressing the continuity issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    You two basically described exactly what I want in comics.
    I was thinking everyone goes full "Morrison on JLA" - big bold stories with FUN one offs and shorts in between (don't try to match Morrison on the weird stuff, of course). Lots of team-up, guest appearances, and general frivolity
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

To be fair, the general audience has little idea that legacy is even a thing with DC.

In larger media, how many examples do we have of legacy? We've got some examples in Young Justice, with stuff like Dick becoming Nightwing and new Robins coming after him, we've got Aqualad stepping up to Aquaman......there's the old Batman cartoon that also went through a Robin or two.....Batman Beyond......and really, that's about it. It's hard for an audience to care about legacy when they have no idea it's a component of DC.

People know sidekicks are a thing, but that's not legacy.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I was thinking everyone goes full "Morrison on JLA" - big bold stories with FUN one offs and shorts in between (don't try to match Morrison on the weird stuff, of course). Lots of team-up, guest appearances, and general frivolity
    I have to confess, I've never read that era of JLA, although seeing how it's constantly brought up I might have to start looking into it. I've only read Earth-2 and that's because I love multiverse shenanigans. That said just FUN style stuff with one-off stories everyone once in a while would be a great thing to see. I honestly don't know if current writers are even capable at writing a one off issue that doesn't tie into some mega arc.

With the rumors of animators and such being recruited, I wonder if Greg Weismann will be interviewed? Not only does he have hit series on the animation side in Young Justice and Gargoyles, but he's also done comics before with Gargoyles, with long term plans for the series. So I could see him being a potential hire.