Default 3 comics worth reading right now

Hello all!

I want to pick up some comics on a monthly basis again and I was wondering if you could help me out. What comics are worth reading now (max 3) and what issues/story lines are the best starting points to jump in (I haven’t read comics in a long time). Please let me know your recommendations!
    Lex: Trust me Clark; our friendship is going to be the stuff of legend.

Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth, easily one of the more consistently good titles since 2016.

Justice League Dark. It just works better then the main JL and Odyssey.

Its over now, but Super Sons was a fun series of fun, adventure, and Jon and Damian becoming friends and kicking bad guy butt!

Quote Originally Posted by Leander1102 View Post
    Hello all!

I want to pick up some comics on a monthly basis again and I was wondering if you could help me out. What comics are worth reading now (max 3) and what issues/story lines are the best starting points to jump in (I haven’t read comics in a long time). Please let me know your recommendations!
    The same thread as just already been done:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-at-the-moment

Well very hard to say because I am not reading all the current titles, but good ones are:

• The Green Lantern by Grant Morrison
    • All-new Aquaman by Kelly Sue DeConnick
    • Justice League Dark by James Tynion IV
    • Wonder Twins by Mark Russell
    • The Terrifics by Jeff Lemir
    • Red Hood & the Outlaws by Scott Lobdell
    • Shazam! by Geoff Johns

Thinking of series that are still ongoing, the list is as follows:

The Question (Issue 1)
    Justice League: Dark (Issue 1)
    Batman (Whichever one started James Tynion's run. Issue #81, I think?)

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

The only book I'm currently enjoying through and through is Shazam.

The Dollhouse Family,

The Last God,

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage,

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Hellblazer 2019
    Books of Magic
    The Dreaming.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leander1102 View Post
    Hello all!

For DC I would go...

1. Hawkman (The writing is really good)
    2. Justice League Dark (If your into magical heroes this is the comic to read. Solid writing
    3. The Flash (Good fun read)

I also like The Question mini series, the first issue is quite good.

Marvel.

Daredevil (The writing is how shall I say....absolutely fantastic)
    Dr Strange (Mark Waid is killing it with the writing)
    Ghost Rider (Good read)

Hope that helps.

I'll give another recommendation to The Dollhouse Family - very strange, unpredictable new horror title written by Mike Carey, the creator of DC/Vertigo's Lucifer, published under DC's new Hill House imprint, curated by horror author (and Stephen King's son) Joe Hill. Issue #4 just came out, so it should be easy enough to pick up the back issues. One caveat: I'm actually not crazy about the art, but the writing is streets ahead.

If you're looking for DC franchise titles, The Green Lantern is consistently a blast in my opinion, and I think is generally well regarded by both critics and fans. Grant Morrison's writing is, well, very Morrison. If he's your thing (he is mine), you'll likely dig it. If he isn't, ehh, there's at least Liam Sharp's art, which is eye-searingly gorgeous. The first issue of the second arc was just published on Feb. 12, so this is a good jumping-on point. But if you want to catch up in TPBs, it should be easy - the first arc was 12 issues, and then there was a 3-issue arc, Green Lantern: Blackstars, with a different artist.

Tom King's 12-issue Adam Strange title, Strange Adventures, is debuting on March 4. Like Morrison, he's a divisive writer, but one of my all-time favorites, so I'd recommend giving it a shot, unless you already know you don't like him.

I presume you were asking about DC titles specifically. For what it's worth, though I generally lean a little bit DC, I think Marvel is at least a little stronger these days, for my taste. And this is to say nothing of all the non-corporate-IP titles from Image, Aftershock, and other smaller publishers, which is where most of the best work comes from in the current era. Good luck keeping it to 3!
    Last edited by Yohei72; 02-22-2020 at 01:20 PM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

The Last God

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

The Green Lantern (Grant Morrison since 2018)

----
    You'll see a couple of these mentioned above but you can easily get a single trade of The Green Lantern book and be caught up. Last God is on issue 4, and The Question is practically brand new. You will not regret these
    well written and well written books and the coolest thing about my suggestion is this.

You have 3 genres of book. A fantasy comic, A somewhat traditional superhero comic set in modern era earth, and in the same continuity the things going on in space with the Green Lantern corps.

It really covers all the bases and since they're so well written but more importantly self contained these stories are very unlikely to get pulled into the next big event that is coming up. You should be able to grab your
    monthly run and follow the stories without worrying about will you get a tie in every other month.

Regardless. I wish you the best. Please Enjoy the reading.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 02-22-2020 at 06:31 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    my list changes but most consistently it's been:

• Batman and the Outsiders by Bryan Hill - I love all the characters involved, a lot of whom don't get the opportunity to shine due to DC's inability to properly balance and utilize their characters, and I love the action movie feel of it. Bryan Hill, Dexter Soy, and Veronica Gandini are a dream team.
    • Aquaman by Kelly Sue Deconnick - Kelly Sue Deconnick is knocking it out the part, she imbues a softer but sharp and more nuanced element of emotion to this book that always feels very refreshing. I love the more laid back Aquaman, how she makes The Call feel more [mystical and esoteric] and how she handles the supporting cast; by the end, this could be my favorite Aquaman run ever
    • Red Hood/Outlaws by Scott Lobdell - I have loved Red Hood for a while and Lobdell continues to mature and develope Jason Todd into a hero that isn't just another bat person. he feels dynamic and full, like he has created his own place in the wider DC landscape. I think (for me) Jason has developed more independent of the Bat than Dick Grayson ever has.

honorable mention: Gene Luen Yang's Terrifics, Dan Abnett's Justice League Odyssey (pity they had to shelf Cyborg and Starfire), Tynion's Batman Run, Adam Glass' Teen Titans, *potentially* Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad
    imma just repost from the other one
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-23-2020 at 10:01 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Thank you all very much for your input! I will check some of those outs, definitely GL seems interesting
    Lex: Trust me Clark; our friendship is going to be the stuff of legend.