View Poll Results: How do you rate Dan Didio's tenure at DC Comics?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • A - It was the best period of the company!

5 2.44%
  • B -They weren't all hits but it was mostly good!

47 22.93%
  • C - It was generally average...

33 16.10%
  • D - There were a few gems mixed in but mostly it was mediocre.

80 39.02%
  • F - It was the worst time to be a DC fan!

40 19.51%
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default How do you rate Dan Didio's tenure at DC Comics?

Exactly as the title states. Discuss!

Arrow

I'll give him a B - there was good but there was also bad, that said, the good outweighed the bad (overall), IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

New 52 got me into comics and DC has managed to stay my favorite publisher between them and marvel, so I gues I'd give him a B.

C. There were good runs and bad runs, but towards the end it became clear he had run out of ideas for where to take the line. I’ll always appreciate him for stealing Morrison back from Marvel though.

He gets a C from me, there were a lot of good and even great runs and stories while I read comics under his charge. However you lose some points when I’m reading for years I’m constantly unsure of history and continuity and things keep changing, not in a oh someone new is Batman but in I don’t know who founded the Justice league because pre-flashpoint said this, New 52 did this, and then Rebirth and all that has done some mixing.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Technically it's the worst time for me, but my problem with DC is huge and started since at least the 80s, so it's not a Didio thing, it's a DC/WB thing.

The Didio specific problem would be doing a New 52 reboot but not reboot fully. I like that there's an easy entry point for me, but I only stayed for 2 years before noticing the things that don't make sense. In Rebirth, I stayed even shorter because I already learned, and while it started strong, it's also very messy.

I don't like how they're fixing continuity within the story instead of the meeting room, for example. It's similar to my desire for a full reboot. Fix your stories outside your story, because if you fix it in the story with godly characters, it tells me that you can use anything to fix things, and therefore you can approve anything you want without a care. You don't learn anything from your mistakes, you're not being careful with characterization, you'll allow anything because you can fix them at any time. That's what I hate the most that I see keep happening.

Ultimately, Dan DiDio's tenure at DC wasn't very good.

I say this because when it all comes down to it, he simply didn't have the literary aspirations that Jeanette Kahn and Paul Levitz had. When they were running the show at DC (also with Dick Giordano as EIC), DC really made a commitment to changing the perception of what a comic book could be.

We got absolute classics like Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One. We got the post-Crisis relaunches that, yes caused more continuity problems than it solved and ruined the Legion, Hawkman, and Donna Troy irreparably, but it gave us the best Superman and Wonder Woman we had in my lifetime -- among many other great comics.

Then, of course, there was spinning out their more mature titles into the Vertigo line.

Plus, Watchmen.

And on, and on.

In contrast, with Dan DiDio, we didn't get groundbreaking classics that rewrote the rules of comic book storytelling. We got "let's do rehashes of the stuff that was popular before I joined the company."

So, we got Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, this Crisis, that Crisis, Flashpoint, what's the point -- that couldn't hold a candle to the original.

We got Before Watchmen and Doomsday Clock -- that couldn't hold a candle to the original (in spite of how DClock was fairly well-received)

We got more Frank Miller Dark Knight -- that couldn't hold a candle to the original.

Several "the villains win" events.

Revisiting Bane and Doomsday over and over.

Convergence, Divergence, Regurgence.

Completely botching big-gets like JMS and others.

Basically, DiDio's tenure was overpromising and underdeilvering to the point where you just knew that when his next big bright idea was announced (5G, anyone?) that he just wouldn't be able to stick the landing.

I think the only true evergreen project created under his watch that wasn't a rehash of a previous event was Darwyn Cooke's DC: The New Frontier. This was something that could have been published during the Kahn/Levitz years.

He kept complaining of reader apathy, but then gave readers every reason to be apathetic -- and apprehensive -- of each of his radical changes of direction for the company.

In spite of this, I do wish him the best (away from DC) in the future. It's never fun to lose a job, and by all accounts, he was indeed let go from the company because it happened so suddenly, and Newarama was reporting that DiDio was at work this morning posting on DC's retailer-only Facebook page and taking meetings with DC talent. Then, by early afternoon, it was announced at various websites that he was gone.

The only thing I'm worried about now is who will take DiDio's place? Jim Lee really isn't suited to run DC. I don't think he gets DC any more than DiDio did. Lee belongs behind a drawing board, not behind a desk. Of course, I understand that Lee is too valuable an asset for DC to lose entirely.

Hopefully, Lee will just be Chief Creative Officer, a new Publisher will be announced who is actually good, and other dead weight like Bob Harras will follow DiDio out the door.

Incredible Member

I don't really know if anything Dan had a hand in brought me in as a fan, I do know he's done a lot that has driven me away as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    I don't really know if anything Dan had a hand in brought me in as a fan, I do know he's done a lot that has driven me away as a fan.
    Second this.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    I third this.

Fantastic Member

Identity crisis on has been abysmal. A few gems here and there but those were thanks to the creators not DiDio a vision.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I can't say that I'm disappointed that he's gone. While I bear no ill will towards him and wish him the best in his future endeavors, I don't think he really got what made DC great with what he allowed to happen to the JSA(after Johns left the book), Wonder Woman(Azzarello's run), the adult Titans(Nightwing, Donna, Wally, Arsenal, & Tempest), and the Legion of Superheroes(how many times have they been rebooted on his watch?).

I'm ready for a change.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I'm giving it a C.

There were some real gems under Didio. Truly, some fantastic stories have been told. Some serious duds too, and the human race is worse off for them having been published. But that's always been the case; some stories are good and some aren't, and it was the same under Kahn and Levitz and whoever else. Creatively, I think Didio allowed some really questionable choices, and didn't really try to elevate the craft the way his predecessors had. We have Vertigo to thank for the idea that comics aren't just for kids, and Didio did little to further that discussion. Hell, the last few years the industry seems to have regressed in this regard.

But what gets him a C, for me at least, is the business stuff he tried. I applaud things like same-day digital, the earth-1 OGN's, Ink/Zoom/Black Label, the diversity-heavy New Age imprint, and other initiatives designed to escape the direct market and find new readers. Didio knew damn well that the distribution model was going to kill the industry and he knew that catering exclusively to an aging fanbase was just as deadly. And he tried to get DC into a healthier place by trying to find new options. And yes, nearly all of those initiatives failed and died quickly, but I didn't see anyone else making the effort. Not anyone at Marvel, despite having the power of the Mouse behind them these last ten-ish years, not anyone at other publishers like Image, nor Didio's own predecessors who knew that the industry was drowning under their tenures as well. Sure, Didio just threw everything he could at the wall and hoped something might stick, but he made the damn effort when the best anyone else had to offer was Marvel's insistence that movie synergy would save them, despite the proof that it won't.

His treatment of Nightwing and Wally....the scandal concerning Superman editor Berganza.....Didio's done plenty I dislike, even outright hate. But the man also gave me Superman Smashes the Klan, Johns' Green Lantern, Naomi, he poached some quality talent from other publishers including Morrison....yeah, I'm not gonna celebrate because the guy is gone. Especially when the person who replaces him could very easily be just as bad or worse.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Within the first half of his tenure, I went from reading over 20 DC books a month to reading zero DC books a month. 'Nuff said.

Incredible Member

I mean it's 20 years of comic books, it's a lot to consider.