Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default You have just become DC's Co-publisher what do you do 1st?

With Dan out the door what would 'you do once you got promoted?

1.Bring back Vertigo.

2.Get the Earth 1 books back on track (LOSH Earth 1,anyone?)

5.Get Wildcats and The Authority series going

6.A new Legends of The Dark Knight and DC Presents.
    "If you look up at me you will see a friend. If you look down at me you will see an enemy. But if you look me square in the eye you will see a God."-Bray Wyatt

Extraordinary Member

1. Restore Wally West

2. Revise JSA on Earth 2 and make them in their 40s or 50s.

3. Fix Nightwing, Donna Troy and that generation.

4. Restore the real/true Legion of Super Heroes.

5. Restore Vertigo.

Fire Bob Harras.

1. Figure out a way to scrap almost everything from Flashpoint onward. Keep the few things I actually like.
    2. 3 chicks at the same time

keep it a bean, I have no idea what that role would mean or what it's limits are but i'll just throw out my ideas

the theme: forward never back
    • reach out to the McDuffie estate and renegotiate a new arrangement to get Milestone up and running as soon as possible, with Denys Cowan and Christopher Priest on the flagship titles, and loading the roster up with a crop of creative teams that are as diverse as possible. whether they exist on their own earth or in the DC universe is tbd
    • no more "love letter to comics" or nostalgia-heavy stories for a good long while, if someone wants the old **** they can read our old ****
    • change is good and death/retirement means they are dead or retired in the main continuity, if a character dies they are not allowed to come back willy-nilly, those characters are now relegated to out-of-continuity stories if you wanna use them. sorry alfred but R.I.P my guy
    • everyone has to adhere to what came before them, no more rolling back character designs or development because you want to tell a story a certain way and thing fans don't notice; they always notice and it muddies the waters.
    • every story and every character needs to have a set ending in mind and that ending needs to be honored by EVERYONE
    • limit Batman and Superman to their titles and Justice League, Action and Detective are now anthology series to showcase characters who don't have titles
    • more standalone stories, stories should reference other stories because they exist in the same world but not every title needs to be a slave to the continuity of the larger universe. tell wonder woman stories over here, aquaman over there, vixen stories over there, etc.
    • If they are popular in wider media they need a book with their name on it and everything needs to be done to keep that book afloat so long as they are in the cultural zeitgeist. there are zero reasons Black Lightning should be in its third season and the character not regularly have a title to his name
    • less america centric stories and more demographic diversity on the page period. I don't care what some troll on twitter, or a neckbeard on youtube, or some old hat fan has to say, if there is ever more than a week where every title we release has only white, cis, straight and american (or american-focused) heroes/faces, someone is about to lose their book. my first title is Vixen who is long overdue for an ongoing or a solo in general.
    • find a new roll out and production strategy because we need to find away to get books in the hands of the right readers effectively
    • start scoutin and courting manga creatives to tell elseworld and potentially some in-canon stories
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-21-2020 at 09:37 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

A more balanced approach. I would give more importance to ips like metal men, doom petrol.. Etc. Jsa will be the prime team. Split the continuity into generations(which already done) and split the batmen and superman of different eras also this time(wonder woman doesn't need that) . Names don't matter for me characterisation does. No 5G though. Maybe when it's a dc actually earned.

I wouldn't have a character beatup everyone else just cause they are popular. Characterdriven storytelling would be encouraged. I would also give more importance to publishing books with start, middle and end. These books will be entirely writer driven. They will get to decide things.i would give importance to story as much as art. Fast paced biweekly comics like in rebirth if possible will be encouraged.

This is a good question.

1. Give both the JSA and the Titans their own books again. And treat them like the JLA or Batman. If the books don't sell as well as they should, keep pumping talent into them to try to make them work.
    If/when Bendis ends his run on Legion, do the same with it, as well.
    The DC Universe is just as robust and varied as the Marvel Universe, it just doesn't show it enough.
    DC needs more core team books that are immune to cancellation.

2. Work towards building strong fan support again. Cultivate what fans are still here. The best 'new' fans are the ones brought in by the established fans that want to share what they like with friends. Give those readers something they want to share with others and get excited about.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Idk, what do they do? Determine direction?

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

First thing? Probably hire the best, smartest, and most creative minds in the industry, come up with a unified vision of the brand, and empower them to execute that vision.

I'd greenlight a solo ongoing monthly book for Vixen with the quickness, and I'd add her to the roster of the flagship Justice League book.

Then I'd send the writers of the new Vixen ongoing book and the Justice League writer some zoology books so that they can go crazy with showcasing Vixen's versatile powers.

I'd also give John Stewart his own solo ongoing book, and he'd still be on the roster of the flagship Justice League book.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 02-21-2020 at 10:04 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well, the timeline's already a good start, but instead of making it exact years, I'll change it simply to be a list of events that happened with no exact years or defining the age for the characters, so they can be immortal since they're branded characters.

Next would continue promoting the higher selling comics, be it by LCS, DC's digital store and Comixology, Walmart and regular book stores. Accumulate them, see who's buying what where, and prioritize the highest-selling first.

For example, if Justice League sells higher digitally and Batman sells higher to LCS, but both are available in both digital and hard copy and Batman's number is highest, then the main priority is Batman.

Another example, if Harley's merch is the higher selling, but her comics don't, then I'll pull back on her comic appearance, but keep churning out a variety of merch, and only increase her comic appearance if there's a sale increase in the comic that's already available since merch sales don't always translate to the comic itself.

Next, about media synergy, instead of making comic fits to other media that's popular, I'd publish a guide on what to read if you're interested in comics after watching the other version since those media portrayals are based on certain classic comics anyway. The guide will include the books to start and then end with current comics.

Marketing will emphasize what's talked about at the moment. If people are talking about Batman, market Batman. If it's Harley, market Harley. The number of books or appearance don't have to increase, the story doesn't have to change, but the ad does. It's like saying, hey, this is what they're doing at the moment, just in case you want to jump in.

So the idea is not changing comics to fit other media, but taking advantage of other media version's popularity to make it easy for more readers to jump into comics. That's why the guide is important.

Anyway, those are from the publishing and marketing side. How the story is handled is another matter.

Mighty Member

I would deliver a speech telling writers that it's ok for characters to be happy, and that the money will come if the stories are good. No longer will drama and death be mandated and passed down to writers who have to take blame and hatred of upset fans on behalf of editors and executives. Also, I would issue a formal apology to John Rozum for how poorly he was neglected and ignored during a Static Shock run that was stripped from him, for how awful it was to keep his name on the title despite the fact that we didn't give him a genuine chance to actually write the book, and for the negative effect that run has had on his career.

Extraordinary Member

First? Quietly and steadily try and gather up and reconnect skilled and competent writers in fully stocked “stables” for the entire DCU. Artists are good... but writers determine much more consistency of quality. Anyone who had a bad relationship with DC under Didio’s reign who has good rep and a lot of skill? Yeah, get them back on speaking terms and listening in case they want to come back.

Second? Establish a moratorium on hard reboots and retcons for a while - instead, make sure people in the same franchise families meet every few months and cooperate to build cohesion in their books and assist each other in story direction; the general idea is to mimic the inter-connectivity of the Bat books in the 90’s and 00’s. Timeline issue will be group decisions for the families, and broadly approved by chief editorial officers... but no mandates on what can or can’t even in continuity.

Third? Restructure book releases as overlapping “seasons” instead of as pure monthly releases, and share top tier talent with lower tier characters - if, say, Scott Snyder has a Nightwing story idea and a Cassandra Cain story idea, he does the Nightwing book first, then stops after an arc to do the Cassandra Cain story, the goes back to Nightwing, etc. “Tier 1” books may continue to be monthly - like Batman, TEC, Action comics, or Superman if they’ve got the numbers for it - while “Tier 2” are properties that could maybe evolve into Tier 1 with enough consistency - Nightwing, a Wally West Flash book, etc., and Tier 3 will always be trying smaller more cult-favorite heroes to see if they can get a Tier 2 book.

No rules on weddings.

No mandated deaths.

No mandated priorities for what characters can or can’t be featured.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

You know those new/old worlds revealed in DOOMSDAY CLOCK? Let's go revisit them in some detail. I *really* want to know what's going on in the world of Earth-1985.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quit. I’m not qualified for that job.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith