Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What new writers could join the DC stable?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ro-big-change/

After the surprise ejection of Dan DiDio, it was reported that DC is planning to expand the writers slate from the usual comics people, and bring in writers from TV and animation into the fold. Who would you like to see join DC as a writer, and on what title?

I for one would love to see Greg Weisman (Gargoyles, W.I.T.C.H., Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice) become a comic writer for DC as well. I guess he could write a Titans or young superhero book, typecasting as it may be, I'm sure he could do well with that given how he's proven himself with YJ. Alternatively, he could write a relaunch of Sideways, finally have him live up to his potential rather than be just an uninspired Spidey clone with only a cool power set (I like the idea, but Dan DiDio's writing for him was awful).

What about you guys?

Astonishing Member

I hope they give some writers from outside of TV and animation too.

Good news and bad.

Good because those writers tend to think in terms of complete stories.

Bad because now to get a job writing for DC, you have to go through tv and animation.
    And who plans that trajectory? Are comics really a step up from tv and animation?
    I really don't see this incentive lasting.
    The first sign of a prospective tv deal, and we'll see numerous delays or cancellations as the writer treats comics as less important (see Sabrina).

However, if I were to pick writers from outside comics,
    I'd go with a few from Saturday Night Live, Seth MacFarlane and Anne Rice (or her son if DC can't afford her).
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Good news and bad.

Good because those writers tend to think in terms of complete stories.

Bad because now to get a job writing for DC, you have to go through tv and animation.
    And who plans that trajectory? Are comics really a step up from tv and animation?
    I really don't see this incentive lasting.
    The first sign of a prospective tv deal, and we'll see numerous delays or cancellations as the writer treats comics as less important (see Sabrina).

However, if I were to pick writers from outside comics,
    I'd go with a few from Saturday Night Live, Seth MacFarlane and Anne Rice (or her son if DC can't afford her).
    To be fair, it's not like they would only recruit people from TV and animation. It's likely they'll be keeping an eye out for them while also recruiting regular comic writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    To be fair, it's not like they would only recruit people from TV and animation. It's likely they'll be keeping an eye out for them while also recruiting regular comic writers.
    That's good to hear.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ro-big-change/

After the surprise ejection of Dan DiDio, it was reported that DC is planning to expand the writers slate from the usual comics people, and bring in writers from TV and animation into the fold. Who would you like to see join DC as a writer, and on what title?

I for one would love to see Greg Weisman (Gargoyles, W.I.T.C.H., Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice) become a comic writer for DC as well. I guess he could write a Titans or young superhero book, typecasting as it may be, I'm sure he could do well with that given how he's proven himself with YJ.

What about you guys?
    Well you already said the one person I know so... XD

Greg Weisman would be a good pick

iunno how likely it is but I would love for Marlon James to be tapped

while his older brother is the bigger get, Stephen Glover has proven himself a very capable writer over on Atlanta and I would love to see him take a shot at comics

While they are clearly more of a Marvel head, I would love if they could somehow get Kohei Horikoshi to pen some things

with Demon Slayer appearing to be at its endgame, I would love it if Koyoharu Gotouge could be brought into the western comic fold as well

those are who I got off the top of my head
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-22-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Personally Id like to see hernandez brothers, jim woodring, and charles burns - not that DC could afford them or theyd want to do it.

I cant see why we cant just get Hayden Blackman, China Meiville, and John Rivera back.

Would much rather comics were written in the classic mould tho - by acid fried weirdos.

Astonishing Member

I suppose DC will in fact preferentially hire writers who currently work on scripts for animation, TV, and movies, since Warner's likely sees those venues as the (profitable) end product, and the comic books are just the vehicle for intellectual property development. Look for lots of comics that are essentially a sequence of storyboards for a DCEU pitch.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

DC should look for the best comic talent, not just guys from TV and animation. Comics are their own medium.

I'd like to see China Melville write more comics.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-22-2020 at 12:45 PM.

I'd love to see Paul Dini write more comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Greg Weisman would be a good pick
    Regarding Greg Weisman, at least, I'd love for him to return and do a follow-up series to the Captain Atom mini he did back in DCYou. Loved where he was going with, establishing Atom's current status quo and building a relationship with a now-teenaged son he birthed prior to jumping ahead in time, including the implications that said son might have inherited something aspect of his father's vast array of powers.

Give it all to Hickman!

I've seen Marvel and DC pull in writers from tv and movies before, and it often doesn't go very well. Seems like comics are just different enough that the transition doesn't go smoothly, and their work ends up looking like literal storyboards and lack that certain something a good comic has.

But at the same time, when they transition well, it's a thing of beauty.

Just find good writers and artists. I don't care where you get them. Hell I wish DC would pull from the fandom more often. Fans tend to be hungrier, have more to prove, and know the IP's better. If they can actually write (which is rare, admittedly) they end up being pretty damn successful.

I wish DC would get someone like Steven King or JK Rowling. Just for a stand alone series like a Black Label mini or something. The names alone would generate a mountain of sales. Weisman would probably be great. China Melville. Chabon. Joe Ambercrombie (or whatever that author's name is). Brandon Sanderson.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I suppose DC will in fact preferentially hire writers who currently work on scripts for animation, TV, and movies, since Warner's likely sees those venues as the (profitable) end product, and the comic books are just the vehicle for intellectual property development. Look for lots of comics that are essentially a sequence of storyboards for a DCEU pitch.
    I could definitely see them bringing in writers from some of the DCuniverse original shows, both animated and live action, or even some of the writers on the DCAMU or other animated original movies on to write some new comics in the future. Can’t say how well the transition would go but they’d already be a least somewhat acquainted with the properties.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.