View Poll Results: Who has the worst rogues gallery?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hulk

24 26.67%
  • Iron Man

46 51.11%
  • Thor

10 11.11%
  • Captain America

10 11.11%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

When I think if Hulk Leader and Abomination leap to mind.
    When I think of Thor Loki, Executioner,and threats from the myths.
    When I think of Cap I think of Skull, Zemo, Strucker, Hydra in general
    When I think of Iron Man Mandarin, Stane, Chess Men

To me IM rouges are either dated or just not that impressive. The other three have bad guys who are threats to the whole MU at times IM not as much. They can never seem to settle on what the mandarin should be since separating him form his stereotypical beginnings and other character's creative teams avoid him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    When I think if Hulk Leader and Abomination leap to mind.
    When I think of Thor Loki, Executioner,and threats from the myths.
    When I think of Cap I think of Skull, Zemo, Strucker, Hydra in general
    When I think of Iron Man Mandarin, Stane, Chess Men

To me IM rouges are either dated or just not that impressive. The other three have bad guys who are threats to the whole MU at times IM not as much. They can never seem to settle on what the mandarin should be since separating him form his stereotypical beginnings and other character's creative teams avoid him.
    Mandarin was largely besides the point for years. At best, he was Iron Man's personal Dr. Doom/world dominating mad science foe only there because he needed a science arch baddie.

Most of Iron Man's rogues are either corporate spy types like The Ghost, Spymaster and Madam Masque or they are evil moguls like Justin Hammer, Midas and Stane or they are dudes in rival armor like Crimson Dynamo or Mauler.

Iron Man was kind of a accidental crude earlybird cyber-punk character decades before there was a cyberpunk. Certanly all the elements were there: corporate warfare and tech savvy agents fighting it.

It's just that in Iron Man the tech savvy agent owns the company he is fighting for and he is a clear good guy (or was anyway).

Captain America, if only for the fact that I'm sick of these evil nazi stereotypes.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Captain America, if only for the fact that I'm sick of these evil nazi stereotypes.
    That's what it comes down to for me. And most of them lack style. About the only highlight for me is the Serpent Society.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Marvel villains in general seem to lack style. Can't think of any Marvel villain remotely as classy as Ra's Al Ghul.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Marvel villains in general seem to lack style. Can't think of any Marvel villain remotely as classy as Ra's Al Ghul.
    Oh please. Doom was styling before Ra's ever existed. If anything DC took their lead from Marvel when it comes to creating stylish villains. For quite a while Batman villains were petty crooks or cartoony parodies that were lampooned on the Batman TV show.

Doom? Doom is silly compared to Ra's. Hell, Doom is silly period. Doom is one of the silliest, most blatantly Silver Age villains out there.

Doom? Doom is silly compared to Ra's. Hell, Doom is silly period. Doom is one of the silliest, most blatantly Silver Age villains out there.
    You really need to brush up on your reading. Check out Steranko's Agent of SHIELD from the 1960s sometime for instance. Or the last Lee/Kirby Doom story. Or more recently, hve you even read the GN Triumph and Torment for instance?

Doom was already comics premiere supervillain long before Ra's was even a glimmer in Dennis O'Neil's brain. I suspect even he would give a nod to the influence that silver age Doom would have on supervillains from that point on.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-18-2014 at 07:49 AM.

All-New Member

Many of Iron Man's core villians are rooted in '60s Cold War era fear of Communism and espionage--Wong Chu , the Mandarin, Crimson Dynamo, Titanium Man, the Red Barbarian, the Unicorn, Radioactive Man, Spymaster, Ghost, the Actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You really need to brush up on your reading. Check out Steranko's Agent of SHIELD from the 1960s sometime for instance. Or the last Lee/Kirby Doom story. Or more recently, hve you even read the GN Triumph and Torment for instance?

Doom was already comics premiere supervillain long before Ra's was even a glimmer in Dennis O'Neil's brain. I suspect even he would give a nod to the influence that silver age Doom would have on supervillains from that point on.
    I have read most of those, and Doom still comes across as classless and silly. His best stuff takes advantage of his over-the-top-ness, giving him a sort of goofy operatic charm akin to a Swartzenegger movie or the original Star Wars trilogy. But goofy over-the-top-ness, even done well, does not classy make.

Magneto, Thanos, Doom and Galactus are as classy as it can get.

Incredible Member

Thor hands down has the best rogues gallery of the four

EARTH: Red Hulk, Wrecking crew, Absorbing Man

9 REALMS: Loki, Enchantress, Skurge, Surtur, Malekith, Ulik, Frost giants, Hela, the midguard serpent.

UNIVERSE/COSMIC: Galactus, Heralds, Kree, Skrulls, Celestials, Ego, Gorr

hell, his rivalry with Hercules could be consider something similar.

more importantly, you can draw heavily from nordic mythology and your dnd campaign for new material.

and often thor's villains become avengers villains so it's a gift that keeps on giving.

Cap has some descent villains, but they are more uniform in nature

Red Skull is easily the most loathsome of his villains.

Armin Zola I also put as an awesome villain, as well as the most improved villain in the mcu. He's also a "monster factory" as needed.

Hydra is his nemesis as an organization and it really is a great way to develop a "goon squad".

Cap's ties to Shield really do open up the character. More then any other character in this list, he cannot be an island.

I've said my piece on Iron Man a long time ago.

http://community.comicbookresources....A-Chance/page9

there has been some improvement though on the rogues gallery since then (through both animated shows and the mcu), but it's slow to diseminate to the comic proper.

Hulk in many ways is his own #1 rogue. the misunderstood monster really does play well to his themes.

but yeah by watching hulk and agents of smash, it really shows how much they have to draw on the the marvel universe and less of his own own rogues gallery.

Thunderbolt Ross is his #1 antagonist. He's the Hulk's Captain Nemo. Tomato Hulk I have real issues with, but thematically, it makes sense.

The Leader is descent, but often is treated as a joke.

the Abomination is decent as a Hulk that has given into what Ross assumes the Hulk is.

He had to borrow Absorbing Man, which is a good choice, but honestly, it's Thor's villain.

However, the best new addition has to be the stuff from planet hulk.
    Last edited by shades of eternity; 09-18-2014 at 12:05 PM.

I have read most of those, and Doom still comes across as classless and silly. His best stuff takes advantage of his over-the-top-ness, giving him a sort of goofy operatic charm akin to a Swartzenegger movie or the original Star Wars trilogy. But goofy over-the-top-ness, even done well, does not classy make.
    Considering that Doom probably has more appearances in one decade than Ra Al Gaul had had in his entire history you're going to see inconsistencies. For example John Byrne's interpretation is going to be different from Mark Waid's or Jonathan Hickman. So do you think Hickman's version is goofy/silly or OTT ? Or Byrne's Or Brubaker's?
    Was the Doom in Triumph and Torment, Books or Doom, FF annual #2, Astonishing Tales, goofy and classless?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Iron man. Not many greats, and the few good ones are dead.

For the movies Iron man 2 and 3 they had to create new versions of villains they used in name only (Whiplash, Killian). Not good.

Astonishing Member

I'd have to say Iron Man, and that's knowing more of his villains than Hulks. They all have crappy villains, every hero does, but Iron Man has a larger spread of crappy villains.