Amazing Member

Default Comic book need help with a gift

Hi, Iv read only Marvel and DC, would like to try something new, Im looking for deluxe or absolute editions as a gift for myself. As for Im a gamer and enjoy games like GTA, RDR 2, Far Cry, but also Witcher, Dark Souls. From comic shows I didnt like much Arrow, but I enjoyed Punisher, Dardevil, Iron Fist. I dont know which series I might like, but Im sure that maybe because Im adult the independent comics stuff might be more interesting, though I enjoy superheroes. Im also enjoying Umbrella academy on netflix so far. Any kind of help is highly appreciated.

Amazing Member

Is this forum so dead?

You posted Saturday morning (EST) on an independent comics forum. It's a little unreasonable to have expected an immediate response. Be patient.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Arkangel 8 coming up in March may be of interest to you. If there’s a shop near you can ask them too. Or check out the Previews catalog. Ask the shop, they will have one you can look through.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I think if you liked Umbrella Academy on Netflix you may very well enjoy the original comics. The show departs from them significantly, but they retain a similar vibe and concept. There aren't that many mini-series and single issues so it's not a particularly difficult series to hunt down. I'm not aware of the collected edition status of the most recent mini-series but you have plethora of options for Apocalypse Suite, and Dallas.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Judging from a few of those crime-centric things you mention (Punisher, GTA), I think maybe Criminal by Brubaker & Phillips could be a good shout. In a similar gritty crime vein, perhaps 100 Bullets (Azzarello & Risso), or Stray Bullets: Sunshine and Roses (David Lapham) would appeal too.
    Sidenote: have you read the Greg Rucka run on Punisher from 2012? It was pretty short, but some of the best work done with that character.

Strong classics with a less grounded setting are Y: The Last Man, which opens with every male on Earth (bar one) suddenly dying and goes from there. From the same author there's also Ex Machina, which explores an alternate recent history where an Iron Man-like superhero was elected President of the USA. Think The West Wing plus a mature superhero series.

Veering further from the crime genre, I would ask if fantasy/sci-fi/horror series are okay with you? You mentioned watching Umbrella Academy, which is based on a fantastic comic series. Very colourful, kinda zany, but a true modern classic. Another great sci-fi/fantasy series is Saga, which is set in space and sits somewhere between an action and romance story. Also, Monstress is a revered fantasy series, that gets pretty dark quickly, and looks gooorgeous. Personally I'm not a fan, but many people are. Horror-wise you can find amazing stuff in the independent comics scene, with The Walking Dead being the most well-known. Adjacent to that, I could also recommend Through the Woods, Revival, Rachel Rising, and Colder from Dark Horse. Horror is a niche admittedly, but I find it produces great comics.

Most of the ones I've mentioned have deluxe/oversized/compendium style releases. The Saga and Y: The Last Man ones are particularly great, and a lot of people like the Walking Dead compendiums.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!