View Poll Results: Who Should be DC's New Publisher ?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Karen Berger

17 24.29%
  • Mark Waid

7 10.00%
  • Grant Morrison

13 18.57%
  • Kurt Busiek

5 7.14%
  • Jim Shooter

9 12.86%
  • Other (You Pick)

19 27.14%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Who the hell is Karen Berger?
    She spent about 34 years at DC and launched the only successful imprint DC has ever had.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-23-2020 at 02:50 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

The only writer I would trust with editorial duties is Greg Rucka.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Shooter is a nightmare to work with, that wouldn't be tolerated today.
    I think the writers are a nightmare to work with: having see how they blame their readers for critique the their work (even if those critiques are right), they seem to me more professional fanfiction writers than professional comic book writers and with this "human material" no one editor can do a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    You forget Scott Snyder. Allegedly a Battle with DiDio over Death Metal has caused all this
    How so ? Ive heard nothing of this

Anyone but Geoff Johns.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Grant morrison, i don't think he is the kind of guy. But i just voted for himfor fun. Kurt busiek or waid would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The only writer I would trust with editorial duties is Greg Rucka.
    There are plenty of writers who can edit. There are rather fewer who can who are good editors. And even fewer who can be good publishers.

About the only person who was both a good writer, a good editor, and a good publisher that I can think of was Frederick Pohl. I'm sure there are others, but they're rare.

A good editor needs to be able to find, recognise, and nurture writers. They need to be able to recognise good stories, and help the writer improve them. They need to manage the process from pitch to finished manuscript to publishable book. They need to be able to market books. And that's with the relatively simple world of book publishing. Comics publishing adds the artists. The interconnected world of modern superhero comics adds continuity and management of characters between titles to the list as well.

Recruiting mainly writers to do the job of editors means you run a high risk of them continuing to do the job of writing rather than of editing.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    Come on about half the people ( if not more ) want to see him as far as possible from dc or marvel ... send in in a obscure compagnie ... archie comics dark circle ? or a even least popular one where he cant harm no one
    That surprises me but I was a huge fan of his Marvel work. A huge chunk of my collection is either Bendis or Straczynski. I wouldn’t be reading DC if Bendis wasn’t here.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Voted Morrison despite the fact that it will never happen. And overall Karen Berger would probably be the better choice.

Or have them share the duties. Berger would be a better editor overall, but Morrison would have great ideas for most of the IPs and maybe his ideas could be executed better by other writers for the IPs he's less suited for (like Wonder Woman).

BANNED

Wont be Berge. Her time is over.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Karen Berger is unlikely because while she spearheaded one of the most progressive imprints in history, she represents too much of a traditional approach to the comic book industry. Her goals were simply to tell good stories and let them sell themselves. Great if you're already a comic book fan, but not exactly a recipe for bringing in new blood. Not saying she isn't capable of more but I just don't see Warner Media going down that path.

I think it's going to be a generally unknown corporate figure. However, I maintain that Jeph Loeb covers most of the criteria that DC would be looking for in terms of someone who understands the television/film side of things while also having experience with the comic book industry itself.

Can't say i'm a huge fan of some of Loeb's works but well, i wouldn't mind if that was him who gets the job.

Which of course means it's never going to happen lol, sorry Jeph.

Extraordinary Member

I voted for Mark Waid, but I will also take Geoff Johns, Denys Cowan, and/or Karen Berger. Honestly, I'm surprised Geoff wasn't on the list. Considering his runs on JSA, Flash (his first run), Teen Titans, Green Lantern, his stories involving Superman and the Legion, and now even Doomsday Clock, he's probably contributed the most in terms of quality runs to DC out of any of his contemporaries. Also, he was one of the few people during Didio's tenure at DC who truly showed an understanding and undying love for DC characters.

But yeah, Mark would be amazing. He's like Geoff in that he totally and completely understands these characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Other - Geoff Johns. Look how well Rebirth stared out when he was calling the shots.
    There was a sense of cohesiveness brewing within the verse. He's really good at that. But to me that's about all he brings anymore.His ideas and ideal status quos are generally really bland and played these days.

I'd love Morrison even though is a pipe dream.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-23-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

All of these names are great, but these people on the list are pipe dreams, most likely Warner Brothers will hire another Hollywood outsider nobody has heard of and doesn't have passion for the characters to be the new publisher. Or WB will just keep Jim Lee as sole publisher, which would be just as DiDio imo.