Page 2 of 171 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

It's funny. When i first tried to get on today and it said the forum was down for maintenece...I thought i was banned. whoops. lol.

The BAMF! Brigade lives on!
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Yay! My happy web place is back. This has been such a nice thread -- probably has a lot to do with Nightcrawler being such a nice character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sanderling View Post
    Yay! My happy web place is back. This has been such a nice thread -- probably has a lot to do with Nightcrawler being such a nice character.
    He is so nice from his first appearance, too. He was a very fully realized character from the outset. Sunfire, Thunderbird and Wolverine were all quite antagonistic and not really team players but Storm, Colossus, and Kurt were lovely from day one. Loved the way Kurt was always the peacemaker and took time out to see how people were coping with the traumatic events they went through, but he was also playful and endearing with his Errol Flynn guise with his image projector. I know original responses to Wolvie were mixed when the ANAD first appeared, but am I right in thinking that Kurt was a hit straight away? I can't think of a single thing about him to dislike. It was pretty much a pitch perfect introduction of a new character that Claremont made with Nightcrawler (and Ro and Colossus) IMO.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by DakenGirl View Post
    He is so nice from his first appearance, too. He was a very fully realized character from the outset. Sunfire, Thunderbird and Wolverine were all quite antagonistic and not really team players but Storm, Colossus, and Kurt were lovely from day one. Loved the way Kurt was always the peacemaker and took time out to see how people were coping with the traumatic events they went through, but he was also playful and endearing with his Errol Flynn guise with his image projector. I know original responses to Wolvie were mixed when the ANAD first appeared, but am I right in thinking that Kurt was a hit straight away? I can't think of a single thing about him to dislike. It was pretty much a pitch perfect introduction of a new character that Claremont made with Nightcrawler (and Ro and Colossus) IMO.
    Yep.

I bought two copies of Nightcrawler #1. Fantastic book.

BANNED

Can't believe CBR Got Rebooted.

Anyway Guten Tag everyone!

All-New Member

Glad to be apart of the thread

Since there are rumors of Nightcrawler's inclusion in X-Men: Apocalypse, does anybody have an idea of who they'd like to play him. (Whoever it is, I hope they give him fur. No emo carvings and tattoos.)

All-New Member

It looks like this thread is back to square one lol. Glad it's back.

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    Love them!

@DakenGirl I think Kurt was a hit from day one. Cockrum created Nightcrawler, Storm and Colossus and, from what I've read, had some pretty well-formed ideas of who they were before they showed up in the X-Men. Nightcrawler was the only one not specifically tweaked for the team, though -- he showed up as is, except for his ethnicity being added (German gypsy). I vaguely remember reading old comments where the creators were at something of a loss on what to do with Wolverine originally. Kurt ended up playing a pretty big role in making the old soldier (as he was originally conceived) more likable, then they followed up with Kitty.

Didn't Nightcrawler just get to a second thread? Timing, lol.

Anyway, mainly just popping in to say hi after the reboot.

Bamf on!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    Love them!

@DakenGirl I think Kurt was a hit from day one. Cockrum created Nightcrawler, Storm and Colossus and, from what I've read, had some pretty well-formed ideas of who they were before they showed up in the X-Men. Nightcrawler was the only one not specifically tweaked for the team, though -- he showed up as is, except for his ethnicity being added (German gypsy). I vaguely remember reading old comments where the creators were at something of a loss on what to do with Wolverine originally. Kurt ended up playing a pretty big role in making the old soldier (as he was originally conceived) more likable, then they followed up with Kitty.
    Thanks for that info, Sundowhn; that is all new information for me and very interesting. It does make sense of how three-dimensional those three felt. I did try to re-read recently as if I was 'meeting' them for the first time and Wolverine was pretty much as you'd expect, as the O5 were, sort of there in some places but still with an obvious need to have his back story and more subtle characterization filled in, which was fine, because I expect characters to not arrive fully-formed from their first appearance, but Ororo, Colossus and Kurt really were there, bang, from the very beginning. (It was very odd to find myself shipping Storm/Colossus and Storm/Kurt again!) If they had already been planned out and given extensive back stories that makes perfect sense of why they were so complex and sympathetic from the off.

One of the things that has always appealed to me about Kurt, quite apart from his sense of fun and his enthusiasm for adventure, is his determination not to become embittered or cynical, when he has so much reason to be angry about the way he's been treated. I think enduring his compassion for others has always made him very difficult not to love.

Quote Originally Posted by DakenGirl View Post
    Thanks for that info, Sundowhn; that is all new information for me and very interesting. It does make sense of how three-dimensional those three felt. I did try to re-read recently as if I was 'meeting' them for the first time and Wolverine was pretty much as you'd expect, as the O5 were, sort of there in some places but still with an obvious need to have his back story and more subtle characterization filled in, which was fine, because I expect characters to not arrive fully-formed from their first appearance, but Ororo, Colossus and Kurt really were there, bang, from the very beginning. (It was very odd to find myself shipping Storm/Colossus and Storm/Kurt again!) If they had already been planned out and given extensive back stories that makes perfect sense of why they were so complex and sympathetic from the off.

One of the things that has always appealed to me about Kurt, quite apart from his sense of fun and his enthusiasm for adventure, is his determination not to become embittered or cynical, when he has so much reason to be angry about the way he's been treated. I think enduring his compassion for others has always made him very difficult not to love.
    Cockrum always claimed to be something of a Storm/Kurt shipper, at least on his old Nightscrawlers posts. :P

I agree about the lack of embitterment with the character. I think that's what drew me to him from the beginning -- the "freak" determined not to allow people to judge him by the way he looked or allow himself to put the world at arm's length for self-protection. I also loved his attitude of "I'll just try harder" with both Kitty and Logan. (The whole thing of 'You will like me, even if I have to stand on my head and juggle turnips!')