Mighty Member

Default Jimmy Olsen's drinking problem

Back in the Silver Age, anyone could come up to Jimmy with some weird concoction AND HE'D DRINK IT! They hardly ever had to hold a gun to his head either! Jimmy'd want to get a story on The Beard Brothers; "drink this, first" BAM! Jimmy has a constantly growing beard! "You want to win an eating contest, Jimmy? Drink this!" BAM! Jimmy can't stop eating and he devours counterfeit money he's holding as evidence! Jimmy was a terribe role model for kids reading his books!

First thing that popped my mind:

:P

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    First thing that popped my mind:

I'm surprised he didn't die of thirst!

Retired

Back in the 1960s, it seemed like they were always coming out with new flavours of pop. We would go the corner shop--which had their bottles of pop in a tank of cold water--and pull out bottles with unusual caps. I must've tried every flavour--Kickapoo Joy Juice, Wink, Stubby Soda, Squirt, Tahiti Treat, Brownie Root Beer, White Rock Ginger Ale, Golden Cockerel Ginger Beer.

Makes me think of Chuck Taine, who was supposed to deliver a super-scientific new form of liquid rubber from one laboratory to another one across town, but stopped at the Robo-Games to watch a match, and accidentally drank the rubber - which turned him, of course, into Bouncing Boy!

Sounds to me like Chuck and Jimmy have the same kind of problem!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Retired

It might just be in my imagination, but I thought there was some connection between Bouncing Boy, Elastic Lad and Elongated Man (who also gets his powers from a soft drink--Gingold).

Is this how he became the "amazing turtle boy"?

In fairness to Jimmy, if I lived in a comic book universe I'd drink any kind of potion you handed me and go ahead and irradiate myself at every opportunity. Just how things go. I'd want powers too.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    In fairness to Jimmy, if I lived in a comic book universe I'd drink any kind of potion you handed me and go ahead and irradiate myself at every opportunity. Just how things go. I'd want powers too.
    yeah, that does make sense.

The irradiated man who drank everything
    - a short story written by Garth Ennis

Ha! Good point! Same here, I'd be throwing myself into all kinds of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    The irradiated man who drank everything
    - a short story written by Garth Ennis

I'd read it!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.