Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    That is nowhere near as bad as putting plot relevant material in a product that's completely unrelated to Star Wars. Who's idea was it to put Palpatine's return speech mentioned on the opening crawl of RoS on goddamn Fortnite? That speech is what kicks off the movie's plot.
    Did we need to hear the speech for the movie to make sense?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Did we need to hear the speech for the movie to make sense?
    We wouldn't have a movie if it wasn't for that speech. I would have liked it to be on there. Mentioning it on the opening crawl made me feel like I missed something.

We wouldn't have a movie if it wasn't for that speech. I would have liked it to be on there. Mentioning it on the opening crawl made me feel like I missed something.
    Oh.

10char
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

The novelization of Rise of Skywalker has it taken care of. The Palpatine shown in the film is a clone, his son is a failed clone who didn't inherit his force sensitivity. Rey in actuality is his daughter/granddaughter. God, fan faction sounds better than what we actually got.
    To be honest I couldn't stop laughing when I read that! As told by my biology teacher years ago, clones are an exact copy of the original, down to the last freckle, so how come Rey's dad looked nothing like Ian McDiarmid!

As Indiana Jones once said, I think they were making it up as they went along!

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    To be honest I couldn't stop laughing when I read that! As told by my biology teacher years ago, clones are an exact copy of the original, down to the last freckle, so how come Rey's dad looked nothing like Ian McDiarmid!

Flawed clone supposedly explains that away.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

While the other clones we've seen-apart from those identical to Morrison of course (Cody in ROTS for example)-Bodie Taylor and Daniel Logan-don't look exactly like Temura Morrison. They did try though (I think in some cases the clones were composited faces of Bodie and Morrison).

Haven't seen that many old pics of Mcdiarmid apart from some of his 1980s work to really compare it to Rey's father actor.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post

They were making it up as they go along. I'm highly certain they've said that at some point.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    While the other clones we've seen-apart from those identical to Morrison of course (Cody in ROTS for example)-Bodie Taylor and Daniel Logan-don't look exactly like Temura Morrison. They did try though (I think in some cases the clones were composited faces of Bodie and Morrison).

Haven't seen that many old pics of Mcdiarmid apart from some of his 1980s work to really compare it to Rey's father actor.
    Ian pretty much looks as he does now with just a younger face. I was kind of surprised the difference wasn't as drastic as a lot of people.
    The actor who plays Rey's father as an imperfect clone does have the look for the brief time we see him but I think the biggest mistake was actually giving him a full head of hair. Ian Mcdiaramid seems to have had a widows peak and the portrayal of Rey's father lacked this. So the brief time we see him the face is right as much as Alden Ehrenreich looks like Han Solo (Legends only used Ian's likeness much later anyways so it's not like this is too wild). Changing the hair would go a bit longer in selling this.

And as a tangent I don't think Rey's father even needed to be a clone of Palpatine. Sure their's thirty years between ROTJ and TFA, but men don't start shooting blanks when they hit forty. He honestly could've been conceived during ROTS giving him twenty or so years to grow up during Palpatine's reign and then the time following Endor he eventually has a kid in Rey. Even 10 years earlier would've worked out just fine. Palpatine having a sex life seems weird to the writing team on that and I have no idea why.
    Last edited by SuperiorIronman; 03-18-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I think some of the 90s depictions of Dark Empire's Clone Palpatine kind of made him look like a mix of Sting from Dune and 80's action star Brian Thompson. The outfit certainly didn't help. Also he was drawn with yellow skin sometimes, which is probably because DE had sort of an unusual color scheme for pretty much everything.

Later stuff incorporated more of Mcdiarmid's likeness though. The Dark Empire II reprint TPB for instance uses what seems to be based on a still from ROTS when Anakin and Obi-Wan rescue him.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth