BANNED

Default Umbrella academy

Anyone read this? Wondering if I'd like it, I like stuff like the mask, Snyder's Batman, Locke and key.

Umbrella Academy is a modern classic!
    I will say it skews a lot more comedic than Batman and/or Locke & Key at times, although Umbrella Academy also does drama and intrigue well. But be prepared for a quippier, faster pace, and a general whimsical, zany energy running through the whole project.

Perhaps a mixture of Harry Potter, some Locke & Key, Neil Gaiman and Brian K. Vaughan dialogues would be an apt way to describe the vibe of it. Artwork from Gabriel Bá is great as always, and Dave Stewart did the colouring so that's on point too. I haven't watched the show (on Netflix), so can't comment on that.
    If you're on the fence, the first comic (Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite) is very widely circulated. Any library worth their salt has a copy of it somewhere.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I loved the first two series, the third has yet to settle with me. Ten years between issues can make your expectations, and memory get a little funny. I wouldn't say the books are much in the way like The Mask, they're not afraid to be cartoonishly violent but that's the only similarity I can think of. It's more similar to Doom Patrol, or the X-Men with a dash of Hellboy, and a grungy/gothic vibe. Grant Morrison, and Mike Mignola with a splash of Jamie Hewlett.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.