Spectacular Member

Default To Dan Didio : A fellow fan of comics!

Sometimes forgotten...Dan Didio was/is a true fan of comic books and the comic book form in general. Even people who disagreed with him internally at DC have said this. And that's pretty neat, IMO.

So, I'd like to thank him for some good comics that I've enjoyed over the years that he's been involved with.

The "52" series...brought me back to reading & collecting comics again. And a weekly comic!
    Wednesday Comics. Fun, good stories. Cool format.
    The Red Circle heroes returning, especially The Shield comic. Really great comic IMO.
    While the New 52 had some clunkers...it was kinda fun to experience. The Pandora mystery was intriguing (too bad they didn't resolve it well)
    New 52 O.M.A.C.! Written by Didio. This series was fantastic! Great new character Kevin Kho and the take on OMAC. One of my favorite comics.
    The Kamandi Challenge. Another fun, fun comic. A neat idea reborn of having different creators tell the next chapter of a story.
    The DC Reborn comics. To me it seemed DC saw the mess in comics, and made a solid decision to return to more classic characters and stories.

What comics/stories/characters did you like?

Astonishing Member

1)52 is less the work of Dan Didio and more the editorial genius Stephen Wacker combined with Waid/Rucka/Morrison/Johns. Didio according to Waid tried to interfere in 52 and apparently scuttled one of their script and ghostwrote one issue while crediting the writers with it. The fact that Wacker left near the end for Marvel kind of highlights the overbearing and meddling style of management that Didio would bring to DC. In addition he vindictively spoiled the ending(where the multiverse is revealed to be back) weeks before hand and apparently vetoed Waid/Rucka/Morrison/Johns idea for a multiverse line of books that would feature the Fawcett/Charlton/Quality/CSA Earths.

52 in a nutshell embodies the entire Didio era: where the best work were done by other people and usually in spite of Dan Didio whose only contributions are trying to micromanage a book, enforcing his sensibilities and being vindictive/arbitrary if the writer disagreed with his ideas as Rucka found out with WW.

2) Wednesday comics wasn't his idea. That was Mark Chiarello who was laid off by DC last year.

3) Rebirth was entirely on Geoff Johns. And Dan tried his best to sabotage it and to reduce the effects of Doomsday Clock. Not to mention try and wipe the DC Universe clean of Geoff Johns's influence.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-22-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Spectacular Member

Respectfully, what in my post did you feel was an invitation to you to be critical of my likes? Or "correct" me? Especially as the second post in a topic started to ask people about what they liked about Dan Didio's time at DC?

Your post doesn't contain anything that you like, derails the intent of the topic, and hinders the conversation. And shows a pretty blatant negative option of Dan Didio, that would be better posted elsewhere. Not good community behavior, and as such I've reported your post.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    Respectfully, what in my post did you feel was an invitation to you to be critical of my likes? Or "correct" me? Especially as the second post in a topic started to ask people about what they liked about Dan Didio's time at DC?

Your post doesn't contain anything that you like, derails the intent of the topic, and hinders the conversation. And shows a pretty blatant negative option of Dan Didio, that would be better posted elsewhere. Not good community behavior, and as such I've reported your post.
    The issue is that you attributed works to Didio that belonged to other creators. It's one thing to want to speak highly of someone, another to give them credit that isnt theirs.

Spectacular Member

Thanks for your reply OBrianTallent.

I dion't think I was attributing the comics to Dan Didio. Just that I enjoyed them and that he was involved with them, which he was. And they were released with him as Editor or Chief Creative Officer (don't know his exact titles over the years).