Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Writers create original characters to use in their comic book runs all the time and only a tiny fraction of them leaves such a mark that other writers think about using them after the author leaves the book. Grace Choi is simply not part of this fraction. That was to be expected, since Winick is not a big name in comics (in fact, people mostly remember his worst books and ideas) and Grace wasn't really that memorable as the Outsiders' "strong brawler teammate" figure (X-Factor's Strong Guy she was not).

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Writers create original characters to use in their comic book runs all the time and only a tiny fraction of them leaves such a mark that other writers think about using them after the author leaves the book. Grace Choi is simply not part of this fraction. That was to be expected, since Winick is not a big name in comics (in fact, people mostly remember his worst books and ideas) and Grace wasn't really that memorable as the Outsiders' "strong brawler teammate" figure (X-Factor's Strong Guy she was not).
    Agree... but man... doesn't this character look almost exactly like someone else? I can't quite put my finger on it. Grunge from gen-13? Stephanie Mass from rising stars?
    Something looks really familiar about this toon. *scratches head* anybody?
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

She's just very low on the totem pole and her girlfriend is still a child in the main continuity (I think).
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Because DC is rarely interested in original characters who are minorities. They would much rather just create a new Green Lantern who happens to be a POC or change an established character’s ethnicity.

Grace has potential to be great, but DC will never put the work in.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Agree... but man... doesn't this character look almost exactly like someone else? I can't quite put my finger on it. Grunge from gen-13? Stephanie Mass from rising stars?
    Something looks really familiar about this toon. *scratches head* anybody?
    She could easily pass as a fan-made OC intended to be the daughter of Caitlin Fairchild and Grunge, now that you mention it. Weird.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Yeah, in general when relaunching a team book the writers tend usually to put either the Original Founders (or at least the characters that have currently their mantles) or their own creations on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Yeah, in general when relaunching a team book the writers tend usually to put either the Original Founders (or at least the characters that have currently their mantles) or their own creations on the team.
    Yeah, take the original line-up, or as many as you can round up if one or two of them are being used elsewhere or are indisposed/dead, get rid of all that were added to the line-up in-between the original creators' run and the newest writer/you (even if some of those newer members were also created by the original creators), and add your own creations. See: Alpha Flight, Judd Winick's run on the post-NTT Titans, Waid on the LSH (wherein anybody added after the Adventure run in the 60's apparently 'didn't count' as a Legionnaire), Giffen on the Doom Patrol (and Formerly Known as the Justice League), etc. Bonus points if you dump as much character development/change/whatever that those team members have gone through because it dares to be any different from when the original line-up was first put together, or if you just change EVERYTHING to put your own spin on it.