Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Grace Choi: Why doesn't she appear in Prime Earth?

Grace Choi
    24274105-B62C-4723-99B8-BC5E37CBAE34.jpg
    This character is one of the coolest character in DC. But why doesn't she appear in Prime Earth?
    If this character will appear in Prime Earth, I suggest she should have an average size of an Amazon but with the same powers from New Earth including triple strength, durability, and healing factor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExoPink View Post
    Grace Choi
    24274105-B62C-4723-99B8-BC5E37CBAE34.jpg
    This character is one of the coolest character in DC. But why doesn't she appear in Prime Earth?
    If this character will appear in Prime Earth, I suggest she should have an average size of an Amazon but with the same powers from New Earth including triple strength, durability, and healing factor.
    She and Black Lightning's daughters need to make a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    She and Black Lightning's daughters need to make a comeback.
    Uh, the characters did, but not as Jefferson's daughters. But as his cousins. No lie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Uh, the characters did, but not as Jefferson's daughters. But as his cousins. No lie.
    What kind of nonsense is that?

What kind of nonsense is that?
    The kind where they didn't want Jefferson to be "too old" and other BS.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The kind where they didn't want Jefferson to be "too old" and other BS.
    The current Outsiders comic is good, but part of Black Lightning's appeal is that he's a family man and taking away his daughters makes him more generic.

Astonishing Member

The daughters never made much sense -- they were way too old to accommodate his timeline.

Extraordinary Member

The current Outsiders comic is good, but part of Black Lightning's appeal is that he's a family man and taking away his daughters makes him more generic.
    Not in is own comics, both daughters were retconned in decades after his creation in team books, where Black Lighting only appeared as guest character.

When it comes to Grace Choi, the big Question would be where should she have appeared?
    The Outsiders didn't had a book untill very recently, and I'm not sure if she would fit in the current incarnation of the team.
    And with the current sales numbers it doesn't really look like this book will last that long.
    Last edited by Aahz; 02-24-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Not in is own comics, both daughters were retconned in decades after his creation in team books, where Black Lighting only appeared as guest character.
    None of which is an indicator of whether or not he works a family man. Retcons are a staple of superhero comics. Some work, some don't. The daughters did.

When it comes to Grace Choi, the big Question would be where should she have appeared?
    A Black Lightning comic which should be made now that the show is so popular.
    And with the current sales numbers it doesn't really look like this book will last that long.[/QUOTE]

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A Black Lightning comic which should be made now that the show is so popular.
    Popular show usually don't translate into comic sales.

So who/what is Grace Choi, exactly? My vague memory is that she was referred to as "half Bana Mighdall Amazon," but that never made much sense to me. Bana Mighdall Amazons, not being immortal, have to reproduce to continue to exist of the centuries, and who do they reproduce with other than human males? So aren't they all "half-Bana Mighdall, half human male"? Or, more to the point, aren' the Bana Mighdalls not some fantasy-style race with a stable DNA, but a community of people who share some early ancestors mixed in with a lot of human-standard ancestors?

I addition, her powers seemed to far exceed the Bana Mighdalls we saw.

As for Black Lightning's daughters - they were introduced ex nihilo in in a very abrupt manner, where it was unclear whether we were seeing a history-changing retcon or just being introduced to two characters that hadn't been mentioned before. And they appeared to have been born well before Jefferson Pierce acquired his powers, so there was no explanation for why they should have superpowers. (Tony Isabella, who created Black Lightning, was also unhappy about how these characters affected the personality and backstory for BL with respect to his ex-wife, but Tony hasn't had a say in a long time.) Of course, BL's origin has been changed a number of times since then, and we've been through several (too many!) universe-sweeping retcons/reboots, so all of this can be explained. But in the comics (as opposed to the TV show), I find them kind of confusing and ill-defined.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Yeah, the daughters always seemed like they were creations from their creators' childhoods who were then just attached onto Black Lightning's coattails as a means of giving them an instant short-cut to a background without actually coming up with one on their own. I also don't recall any real effort to establish or build any relationship between either daughter and Jefferson, at least until the TV show was created. I also got the impression that making them Black Lightning's daughters served as a way or justification to shove him into the background in semi-retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Yeah, the daughters always seemed like they were creations from their creators' childhoods who were then just attached onto Black Lightning's coattails as a means of giving them an instant short-cut to a background without actually coming up with one on their own. I also don't recall any real effort to establish or build any relationship between either daughter and Jefferson, at least until the TV show was created. I also got the impression that making them Black Lightning's daughters served as a way or justification to shove him into the background in semi-retirement.
    Was Jefferson appearing regularly before the daughters were made? In fact, I'm pretty sure he became more prominent after they came along.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    In Anissa's case it was imo done to give her a connection to the previous incarnation of the Outsiders.

In Jennifer was added 5 years later to the main continuity and seems to be a reference to Kingdom Come.

I liked Grace, but she's a charater that doesn't matter much to DC in the grand scheme of things.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-