Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Kathleen Kennedy go?

I think Kathleen Kennedy needs to go.

She is incompetent and MUST be responsible for SW's current situation. Lucas despite some flaws, was great as the head of SW. She lacks of creativity herself, it's not the problem. But many of her decisions like giving Rian Johnson full power to write the script is part of the reason why ST was below expectation and affected the overall quality of SW.

The TV part of Star Wars seems to be doing very well but she has made a few bad decisions with the films.

About Johnson; outside of TLJ he's generally regarded as a pretty good director and writer. His noir stuff with Levitt, TV work with stuff like Breaking Bad and his post-TLJ "Knives out" were pretty well received.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The TV part of Star Wars seems to be doing very well but she has made a few bad decisions with the films.

About Johnson; outside of TLJ he's generally regarded as a pretty good director and writer. His noir stuff with Levitt, TV work with stuff like Breaking Bad and his post-TLJ "Knives out" were pretty well received.
    Yes he is a good director, but you can't give him full power in the middle of the trilogy.

Just like Karen Traviss is amazing but she doesn't fit too well in the old EU for having too much of her own ideas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

I think at making over 1 Billion dollars in films most studios would welcome her level of incompetence.
    Last edited by Mia; 02-23-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Kathleen Kennedy is far from incompetent. She is one of the most successful producers of all time. E.T., Poltergeist, The Goonies, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, An American Tail, The Indiana Jones movies, The Land Before Time, Hook, Schindler's List, The Sixth Sense, Cape Fear. She has been Spielberg's go to producer since the early 80s and is the third highest grossing producer of all time. Movies were a thing prior to The Last Jedi.

That said, I do think LucasFilms needs a creative director in line with Feige. If you're going to build a "shared universe" with a lot of different directors and creative visions, you need to have someone with a creative mind to keep the ship steady. I don't think Kennedy is someone who is able to do that, but that doesn't mean she's incompetent or deserves the level of vitriol she's received since 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Kathleen Kennedy is far from incompetent. She is one of the most successful producers of all time. E.T., Poltergeist, The Goonies, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, An American Tail, The Indiana Jones movies, The Land Before Time, Hook, Schindler's List, The Sixth Sense, Cape Fear. She has been Spielberg's go to producer since the early 80s and is the third highest grossing producer of all time. Movies were a thing prior to The Last Jedi.

That said, I do think LucasFilms needs a creative director in line with Feige. If you're going to build a "shared universe" with a lot of different directors and creative visions, you need to have someone with a creative mind to keep the ship steady. I don't think Kennedy is someone who is able to do that, but that doesn't mean she's incompetent or deserves the level of vitriol she's received since 2017.
    But she hasn't handled SW well or it's safe to say, below expectation.

The Last Jedi's controversy had a lot to do with her giving full freedom to RJ, this has also become part of the problem of Rise of the Skywalker because the 2nd movie failed to connect well. And Solo being a failure was also due to the production, they had to almost reshoot the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post

The Last Jedi's controversy had a lot to do with her giving full freedom to RJ, this has also become part of the problem of Rise of the Skywalker because the 2nd movie failed to connect well. And Solo being a failure was also due to the production, they had to almost reshoot the movie.
    But you called her incompetent. You can disagree with how someone has handled things and that's certainly a matter of opinion. But she's not incompetent. You are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    But you called her incompetent. You can disagree with how someone has handled things and that's certainly a matter of opinion. But she's not incompetent. You are wrong.
    As the head of the SW universe, she certainly is. Especially on the new trilogy it simply went horribly wrong, not even being coherent.

While made some unpopular decisions, Lucas has been great as the creator/boss of a franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I think at making over 1 Billion dollars in films most studios would welcome her level of incompetence.
    Well, she got the biggest IP in US, and we still had a box office bomb featuring such a highly popular SW character, though it overall was a good movie.

Extraordinary Member

They need to put at least someone else in charge of the creative site of Star Wars.

OP Question -

Yes, she should go, IMHO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

While I can't say I agree with everything that happened on her watch (nods to Reylo, anyone?, thought Solo was "meh"), Kennedy has shown that she knows what she's doing, is willing to make the tough calls (e.g. firing directors when they're not working out), and has had an 80% batting average with the movies. Kennedy has factually had a successful run with the franchise to date and has "resurrected" it from it's former stasis (not counting the eternal tie-ins). There is literally no reason to let her go (no, fans wanting to be pandered to is not a good reason).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

While I can't say I agree with everything that happened on her watch (nods to Reylo, anyone?, thought Solo was "meh"), Kennedy has shown that she knows what she's doing, is willing to make the tough calls (e.g. firing directors when they're not working out), and has had an 80% batting average with the movies. Kennedy has factually had a successful run with the franchise to date and has "resurrected" it from it's former stasis (not counting the eternal tie-ins). There is literally no reason to let her go (no, fans wanting to be pandered to is not a good reason).
    I won't say it since how bad the ST has been handled.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Star Wars has made a boat load of money for Disney under her so I doubt she'll be going anywhere soon, any other reasons for why she should be gone are just silly fanboy wank.

I won't say it since how bad the ST has been handled.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)