Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IDW Transformers

I ended up getting a few free issues from Amazon and was pleasantly surprised. I read All Hail Megatron #1 and The Death of Optimus Prime #1. I’m very much tempted to go and find everything that came before, in between, and after these.
    If these Transformers comics are anywhere as good as the TMNT ongoing from IDW, I’ll be in for a good time.

Why don’t these get more love on these forums? I couldn’t find a thread for them.

Spectacular Member

IDW released two books at two different points in time that chronicles everything they did from the first issue that they did, which is Transformers 0, all the way to the end of the Unicron mini-series. The first book is called Transformers Continuum. The second book is called Transformers Historia.

Read them first and then you will be able to pick which stories you want to read in detail.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I ended up getting a few free issues from Amazon and was pleasantly surprised. I read All Hail Megatron #1 and The Death of Optimus Prime #1. I’m very much tempted to go and find everything that came before, in between, and after these.
    If these Transformers comics are anywhere as good as the TMNT ongoing from IDW, I’ll be in for a good time.

Why don’t these get more love on these forums? I couldn’t find a thread for them.
    Nothing really gets love here anymore, all the guys and girls are in the Marvel and DC forum.

But I do like the Transformers, too. I am up to IDW Collection Phase 1 TPB 8 and its a blast so far. Okay, some stories are not that good, or in case of Megatron Origins I had trouble with the art and the color, where I couldn't see what was going on on the page because it was so dark and mixed up, but all in all it is pretty good.

I can recommend the new Series as well, its a reboot and going slow, never too convoluted and takes it time to show you the characters.

If you enjoyed the Death of Optimus Prime, there are two books that spun out of it. Robots In Disguise, which focuses on everyone trying to work on the peace, they have just achieved and mostly focuses on the classic 84/85 TFs and More than Meets the Eye which sees Rodimus/Hot Rod getting a crew to fight the Knights of Cybertron, which has more 86 onwards TFs. Also you have to check out the Wrecker's Trliogy (Last Stand of, Sins of and Requiem of)by Nick Roche (and James Roberts),

Thanks guys. I’m leaning towards starting with the IDW collections, from the beginning and working my way to the now. I may do it all via ComiXology, as they can have pretty gnarly sales and collecting the hardcovers can get expensive. Although I’d always prefer to have an actual book, I have been reading quite a few things digitally recently and I’m still very much enjoying the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Thanks guys. I’m leaning towards starting with the IDW collections, from the beginning and working my way to the now. I may do it all via ComiXology, as they can have pretty gnarly sales and collecting the hardcovers can get expensive. Although I’d always prefer to have an actual book, I have been reading quite a few things digitally recently and I’m still very much enjoying the experience.
    Not abad idea, especially as some of the later books can get continuity heavy

I bought the Wreckers Saga omnibus as many say that Last Stand is not only a good entry point, but that the other stories are equally landmarks in IDW's Transformers. After finishing it I can definitely say it's one of the best comic purchases I ever made. I even feel that, though Ms. Marvel is my favorite comic series, The Wreckers Saga is my favorite comic book period.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    I bought the Wreckers Saga omnibus as many say that Last Stand is not only a good entry point, but that the other stories are equally landmarks in IDW's Transformers. After finishing it I can definitely say it's one of the best comic purchases I ever made. I even feel that, though Ms. Marvel is my favorite comic series, The Wreckers Saga is my favorite comic book period.
    I was lucky to get my Hardback version of Last Stand and my Copy of Requiem signed by Nick Roche. Hopefully I'll get my copy of Sins of signed as well

Mighty Member

The thing to keep in mind is that "Transformers" is a viable franchise beyond comics, meaning that there are "Transformers" dedicated dedicated forums where people talk about those comics.

The good news is that you can talk about TF comics. The bad news is that the views tend to be very insular to the franchise.

I am liking the current (Ruckley) series more than I thought I would. (I gave up on old IDW not long after they split the brand as two series in 2013.)

"Last Stand of the Wreckers" and some of the "Spotlight" issues were the sort of thing that keep me in comics.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    I was lucky to get my Hardback version of Last Stand and my Copy of Requiem signed by Nick Roche. Hopefully I'll get my copy of Sins of signed as well
    Likewise! Nick even did me a quick Rotorstorm sketch inside the hardback. One of the nicest most genuine comic pros I've met.

Let's face it Transformers is just one of those nebulous franchises that is so large that it's difficult for some aspects of it to be discussed properly. Most still really think of it either as that quaint 1980's show or those garbage live action movies with a few hidden gems. Not to mention of course that despite the franchise's tagline, Transformers to most people are not more than meets the eye and just dumb giant transforming robots beating the crap out of each other.

Aside from Wreckers saga, I also own the complete Star Trek VS Transformers because I'm also a huge Trek fan and loved the concept. I'm gonna be getting Transformers/Ghostbusters, Transformers/Terminator, and of course that upcoming Transformers/MLP. I'm severely disappointed that the Transformers/JLA crossover never came to pass because of the New 52. We could've had Batmobile Transformer, Invisible Jet Amazon Transformer, and GREEN LANTERN OPTIMUS PRIME.

For the current IDW run I'm only keeping up with the stories through TFwiki summaries, but so far it sounds interesting. May get the TPBs of that depending on how it will go, but one I am definitely getting are the Galaxies spotlight issues on Ultra Magnus because Ultra Magnus is my favorite Autobot and Transformer. Favorite Decepticon is Thundercracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post
    Likewise! Nick even did me a quick Rotorstorm sketch inside the hardback. One of the nicest most genuine comic pros I've met.
    That's cool. I later meet him at a Winter Festival and he drew my brother and I, sketches of Shockwave and Ultra Magnus. He is an awesome guy and I'm proud that he's Irish

ComiXology has a 50% discount on all Transformers collections!

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Nothing really gets love here anymore, all the guys and girls are in the Marvel and DC forum.

But I do like the Transformers, too. I am up to IDW Collection Phase 1 TPB 8 and its a blast so far. Okay, some stories are not that good, or in case of Megatron Origins I had trouble with the art and the color, where I couldn't see what was going on on the page because it was so dark and mixed up, but all in all it is pretty good.

I can recommend the new Series as well, its a reboot and going slow, never too convoluted and takes it time to show you the characters.
    That is the truth! Now admittedly, it's taken me awhile to branch out from the big two but I am LOVING what I have found. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is probably the strongest, most consistent title I have read in the past 10 years! Power Rangers is fantastic! I haven't tried Transformers yet but would be willing to try it as well.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    That is the truth! Now admittedly, it's taken me awhile to branch out from the big two but I am LOVING what I have found. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is probably the strongest, most consistent title I have read in the past 10 years! Power Rangers is fantastic! I haven't tried Transformers yet but would be willing to try it as well.
    And there are many more. In fact, a ton of good independent books without a franchise like TMNT or Power Rangers.

Try Kill Lock from IDW. Its so darn good