Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Mark Waid!!!

Ka-Zar confronts Parnival and learns of Thanos' involvement,

while Shanna searches for the source of the terraforming machine's power.

From Ka-Zar #9. Written by Mark Waid https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...day-mark-waid/

Who's everyone's favourite Ka-Zar artist?

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Who's everyone's favourite Ka-Zar artist?
    My Top 3:

1. Brent Anderson

2. Andy Kubert

3. John Cassaday

They need armor, like MOTU style.

He's no more weak than Captain America, Hawkeye or many other human heroes. Plus he may actually have somewhat heightened due to the mists in the Savage Land, something akin to Black Panther and the heart-shaped herb. That being said, of course he shouldn't be able to take on Thanos, or the High Evolutionary who was also in that run, but it is comic books after all. Ridiculous things happen every day.

Astonishing Member

He's no more weak than Captain America, Hawkeye or many other human heroes. Plus he may actually have somewhat heightened due to the mists in the Savage Land, something akin to Black Panther and the heart-shaped herb. That being said, of course he shouldn't be able to take on Thanos, or the High Evolutionary who was also in that run, but it is comic books after all. Ridiculous things happen every day.
    Ka-Zar and Shanna didn't really "fight" Thanos, they defeated his scheme by hitting something else but when he showed up they distracted him and ran away. I remember when Thanos was after them Ka-zar spent pages just running as fast as he could because he didn't want to die.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    With the exception of how Thanos was handled, I enjoyed the 90's run of Waid & Kubert. Priest's run was also very interesting.
    That Waid/Kubert run proved to me that ANY character can be interesting with the right story concept backing them. My interest was piqued reading WaidÂ’s pitch for the book being focused on the relationship between Ka-Zar and Shanna and there being a disconnect that would strain their partnership.
    https://www.cbr.com/254938-2/

Shanna already had my attention from her story in the anthology series Marvel Comics Presents by Gerard Jones/Paul Gulacy.
    http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron..._68-77_s.shtml

But Ka-Zar outside of his appearance in vintage Neal Adams forward era X-Men stories and his run in Marvel Fanfare, had just been a Tarzan knock off.

I picked up the first issue of the Waid/Kubert run -and it’s worth noting I hadn’t been a particular fan of the creative team separately nor together - and I was hooked by the “Game called on account of She-Devil”...

Their relationship harkened back to the classic Hawkman/Hawkwomandynamic that’s hard to pull off without getting bogged down in soap operatic twists to maintain drama.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 04-04-2020 at 01:09 AM.

I completely agree that any character can be interesting given the right creators working on them, but I have to say, everything you mentioned about Ka-Zar and Shanna's relationship, the strains of trying to make it work and their expanded character development was all done first (and better) in "Ka-Zar the Savage" by Bruce Jones and Brent Anderson. If you like the Waid/Kubert run, you should really check that series out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    That Waid/Kubert run proved to me that ANY character can be interesting with the right story concept backing them. My interest was piqued reading WaidÂ’s pitch for the book being focused on the relationship between Ka-Zar and Shanna and there being a disconnect that would strain their partnership.
    https://www.cbr.com/254938-2/

Shanna already had my attention from her story in the anthology series Marvel Comics Presents by Gerard Jones/Paul Gulacy.
    http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron..._68-77_s.shtml

But Ka-Zar outside of his appearance in vintage Neal Adams forward era X-Men stories and his run in Marvel Fanfare, had just been a Tarzan knock off.

I picked up the first issue of the Waid/Kubert run -and it’s worth noting I hadn’t been a particular fan of the creative team separately nor together - and I was hooked by the “Game called on account of She-Devil”...

Their relationship harkened back to the classic Hawkman/Hawkwomandynamic that’s hard to pull off without getting bogged down in soap operatic twists to maintain drama.
    Great sense of humor, and thanks for the response.

I like your comparison about the relationship. IIRC, someone over at the DC forums mentioned that the classic Hawkman/Hawkwoman dynamic was a favorite because the two were treated as equal partners.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-04-2020 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Where's all my Savage Land peeps at?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm not well versed in Kazar, only spot guest appearances here/there.
    Looking into getting the just announced Kazar Omnibus when it comes out though. Broaden my horizons on a little known to me Marvel character.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Whoa, an omnibus was announced??

Whoa, an omnibus was announced??
    I hadn't heard that either.

Oh wow, it seems it's the entire "Ka-Zar The Savage" run. That's awesome news.