Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default The new Invisible Man film getting decent reviews

I'm hoping this is more than a domestic violence revenge plotline we could see on Lifetime tv.

I want it to be scary and chilling. So far, the previews make it look decent.

Anyone else interested in this?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/re...review-1280919

I'm interested. But I'm a little concerned that its yet another rapey Invisible Man character, like in Hollow Man. The concept itself is decent, I don't understand why they need to make the Invisible Guy an incredible jerk-ass.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I'm interested. But I'm a little concerned that its yet another rapey Invisible Man character, like in Hollow Man. The concept itself is decent, I don't understand why they need to make the Invisible Guy an incredible jerk-ass.
    League of extraordinary Gentleman version was rapey too wasnt he? In the comics atleast, the movie tries to make him more heroic.

Saw it didn't think it was that great I'd rather watch the original one or hollow man.

Because he IS an *******. Griffin (the og Invisible Man) was going to start a world domination campaign ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Because he IS an *******. Griffin (the og Invisible Man) was going to start a world domination campaign ffs.
    Is that from the book?

Not even. Sheesh. He's a tragic character with depth to him. Moore's portrayal was beyond idiotic and simplistic compared with the og given to us by HG Wells.

Plus Moore just likes to put rape in everything for some odd reason.

Not even. Sheesh. He's a tragic character with depth to him. Moore's portrayal was beyond idiotic and simplistic compared with the og given to us by HG Wells.

I've gathered that the League comics had a lot of Moore giving "Ron the Death Eater" treatments on characters he hated. That's honestly one reason (of many) that I've never wanted to read them; the mean-spiritedness that underlies the whole series. (I've also gathered that it gets really weird the farther down you go and suffered hard from the law of diminishing returns.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Because 99% of guys who found themselves with the ability to turn invisible would do jerk-ass, rapey things.

I watched that 30s version before, it was ok. Old Rose in Titanic was very beautiful in her youth.

Ah yes the tragedy of "Lets murder and control"

Hitherto I have gone on vague lines. We have to consider all that invisibility means, all that it does not mean. It means little advantage for eavesdropping and so forth -- one makes sounds. It's of little help, a little help perhaps -- in housebreaking and so forth. Once you've caught me you could easily imprison me. But on the other hand I am hard to catch. This invisibility, in fact, is only good in two cases: It's useful in getting away, it's useful in approaching. It's particularly useful, therefore, in killing. I can walk round a man, whatever weapon he has, choose my point, strike as I like. Dodge as I like. Escape as I like."

Kemp's hand went to his moustache. "Was that a movement downstairs?"

"And it is killing we must do, Kemp."

"It is killing we must do," repeated Kemp. "I'm listening to your plan, Griffin, but I'm not agreeing, mind. Why killing?"

"Not wanton killing, but a judicious slaying. The point is, they know there is an Invisible Man -- as well as we know there is an Invisible Man. And that Invisible Man, Kemp, must now establish a Reign of Terror. Yes -- no doubt it's startling. But I mean it. A Reign of Terror. He must take some town like your Burdock and terrify and dominate it. He must issue his orders. He can do that in a thousand ways -- scraps of paper thrust under doors would suffice. And all who disobey his orders he must kill, and kill all who would defend them."
    You have been amazingly energetic and clever," this letter ran, "though what you stand to gain by it I cannot imagine. You are against me. For a whole day you have chased me; you have tried to rob me of a night's rest. But I have had food in spite of you, I have slept in spite of you, and the game is only beginning. The game is only beginning. There is nothing for it, but to start the Terror. This announces the first day of the Terror. Port Burdock is no longer under the Queen, tell your Colonel of Police, and the rest of them; it is under me -- the Terror! This is day one of year one of the new epoch, -- the Epoch of the Invisible Man. I am Invisible Man the First. To begin with the rule will be easy. The first day there will be one execution for the sake of example, -- a man named Kemp. Death starts for him to-day. He may lock himself away, hide himself away, get guards about him, put on armour if he likes; Death, the unseen Death, is coming. Let him take precautions; it will impress my people. Death starts from the pillar box by midday. The letter will fall in as the postman comes along, then off! The game begins. Death starts. Help him not, my people, lest Death fall upon you also. To-day Kemp is to die."

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Because 99% of guys who found themselves with the ability to turn invisible would do jerk-ass, rapey things.
    Not always. After The Man From U.N.C.L.E, but well before NCIS, David McCallum played a scientist/agent who worked for a private think tank, but didn't do bad guy things in a one season TV version of The Invisible Man from 1975. I remember watching the show and found it interesting.

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 02-26-2020 at 01:58 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Not always. After The Man From U.N.C.L.E, but well before NCIS, David McCallum played a scientist/agent who worked for a private think tank, but didn't do bad guy things in a one season TV version of The Invisible Man from 1975. I remember watching the show and found it interesting.

They did a 2 season remake in the early 2000s it eas actually good

Ah yes the tragedy of "Lets murder and control"
    You really should try reading books instead of googling them.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

Memoirs of an Invisible Man, a pretty much forgotten movie from the 1990s, also did a great job with actually exploring what would happen if a normal dude became invisible. He pretty much stayed the same character, it didn't suddenly make him into a hardened insane criminal.

I feel the original book explored the consequences of invisibility. The main character starts out in a not-so-good place, as a recluse and bit of a sociopath, similar to many in culture today who feel isolated but more extreme. Not that he was exactly sympathetic, I mean he did murder people, but he was certainly mentally ill to begin with and made worse by the invisibility.

The new movie might still be good. I'm hoping it is.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-26-2020 at 10:41 AM.

You really should try reading books instead of googlingthen.
    I read the book, I own the book , thats from the book. Griffin is an *******.