Extraordinary Member

Default Characters/actors who strangely did not appear in the show's final episode

Sometimes characters (and actors) who have left a show will come back for the final episode of a long-running series - like Diane (Shelley Long) did on Cheers.

But in some cases, a long-running character doesn't show up for the final episode. And I'm not counting characters who have died like Mad Men's Bert Cooper (Robert Morse).

Lana in Smallville(Though technically she coulndnt be close to Clark without hurting him. So story wise makes sense)

Slade Wilson - Arrow

AAA( Mr Echo) on lost didnt come back. Sucked cause he was one of my favorite characters.

I'm drawing a blank on anymore right now.

Extraordinary Member

Jadzia Dax Deep Space 9. Considering how they had a montage of the characters' memories on the station you'd think Worf's wife would get something during the flashbacks. I understand there were legal issues with the actress, but it was a weird omission.

Extraordinary Member

After a very heated argument with The Brady Bunch creator Sherwood Schwartz, Robert Reed (Mike Brady) was written out of the final episode of the show. Although they were unaware it was the final episode of the series at the time, Schwartz had had enough of Reed and stated that if the show came back for a sixth season, Carol Brady would either be a widow or they would do a Bewitched switch with a new actor.

Good thing that didn't happen because Reed went on the appear several more times in Brady spin-offs, movies, and specials.

From what I understand, Robert Reed was actually still on set behind the camera in a huff.

You can also put down Bonnie Franklin for One Day at a Time.

In the penultimate episode, Ann Romano gets a job in England and leaves town with her husband Sam (Howard Hesseman). This was her final appearance on the series.

In the series finale, only Valerie Bertinelli appeared briefly in what was actually a backdoor pilot for a Schneider spinoff series.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Jadzia Dax Deep Space 9. Considering how they had a montage of the characters' memories on the station you'd think Worf's wife would get something during the flashbacks. I understand there were legal issues with the actress, but it was a weird omission.
    I don't know. I heard later there weren't any legal issues, Ms. Ferrell simply wanted her role reduced and I think they did it out of spite like when they killed her character. But yeah, hated that.

Extraordinary Member

Regine Hunter (Kim Fields) was noticeably absent from the final three episodes of Living Single.

To this day, I still don't know why she wasn't in those episodes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I don't know. I heard later there weren't any legal issues, Ms. Ferrell simply wanted her role reduced and I think they did it out of spite like when they killed her character. But yeah, hated that.
    Not about her being killed off, but about her character having no mention in the series finale. They needed permission to use old clips of the actress and for whatever reason didn't get it, so no Jadzia memories for Worf.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Not about her being killed off, but about her character having no mention in the series finale. They needed permission to use old clips of the actress and for whatever reason didn't get it, so no Jadzia memories for Worf.
    Farrell was willing to appear not just in the final episode, but throughout S7 in a reduced role. Berman & Co painted a different story, making her appear the difficult one (she won't let us use her likeness, etc.). In reality he was a spiteful jerk that wanted to punish her for putting the producers in a bind and having to rush replace her at the last minute. I think the only legalities involved pertained to her not being able to speak about the situation to the media at the time.

This has since been cleared up in subsequent interviews. It's also strongly alluded to (though Berman isn't mentioned by name) in last years "What We Left Behind" documentary.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Farrell was willing to appear not just in the final episode, but throughout S7 in a reduced role. Berman & Co painted a different story, making her appear the difficult one (she won't let us use her likeness, etc.). In reality he was a spiteful jerk that wanted to punish her for putting the producers in a bind and having to rush replace her at the last minute. I think the only legalities involved pertained to her not being able to speak about the situation to the media at the time.

This has since been cleared up in subsequent interviews. It's also strongly alluded to (though Berman isn't mentioned by name) in last years "What We Left Behind" documentary.
    This sounds similar to what happened to Denise Crosby in the Next Generation. "Can I have a few months off to do a movie?" "No! Your character dies!"

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    This sounds similar to what happened to Denise Crosby in the Next Generation. "Can I have a few months off to do a movie?" "No! Your character dies!"
    According to Crosby herself, she was bored and asked to be written off, with no strong feelings either way as to how they did it. By all accounts she was on good terms with Gene Roddenberry, and everyone welcomed her back for her subsequent appearances.

However... in more recent years she's also mentioned Berman as someone who was *not* easy to work with, and didn't support her return. The difference being Roddenberry was still alive in those days, and clearly had the final say. Terry Farrell had no such advocate.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    From what I understand, Robert Reed was actually still on set behind the camera in a huff.
    Recently watched a "behind the scenes" on Brady Bunch. He thought the story was stupid (Greg's hair turning orange), and refused to do the episode. If The Brady Bunch would of came back for another season, neither him or Greg would of been on it. Greg would of been in college.

Extraordinary Member

Harriet Olson appeared on all seasons of Little House On The Prairie. Although she was on the final regular season episode, she did not come back for the final movie that ended the series.

And although Mary Ingalls and Nellie Olson had left several seasons before, both were important characters to the series and neither came back for that final film either.

Here's one that may not count, depending on how you look at it.

Project ALF

The ALF series ended with a "To be Continued".

Years later they did a made for Tv movie that followed up on that "to be continued". Other than the guy who did ALF, none of the cast of the old series was in it.