Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Ralph and Sue Dibny - a spin-off series or remain on The Flash?

Do you see the chemistry between Ralph Dibny and Sue Dearborn enough to merit their own spin-off series or would you like to see them remain on The Flash? Or do you want one or both of them to just go away?

https://www.cbr.com/the-flash-tv-sho...spinoff-hopes/

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The CW has enough DC shows on their network. They don't need more.

Retired

Well, it would make me happy. I've been saying there needs to be an Elongated TV series for years and years. But I'm biased. However, it's too soon to talk spin-offs for these two actors--since Natalie Dreyfuss has just made her long awaited debut as Sue--and I don't think it does her any favours to push expectations to 11. Let's see what develops. Dreyfuss does play well with Hartley Sawyer, having worked with him before, so the chemistry is already there.

There seem to be a lot of DC shows on CW--but I don't expect them all to stick around. I think in the next couple of years we could see LEGENDS, SUPERGIRL, BLACK LIGHTNING and FLASH all go into retirement. And we don't get that many episodes of either LOT or BL in a season now. If FLASH does end, then setting up a series for Ralph and Sue would be a way to keep those actors and some of the others in a series. I really enjoy Danielle Nicolet's scenes with Hartley Sawyer--it's so funny to see them in a two-shot, her being 5 foot and Hartley being 6' 4".

So far i am not really into Sue Dearborn.

I think the whole back and forth between hero and villain ala Catwoman is kinda boring.

Astonishing Member

Sure. Why not?

The Arrowverse only seems to be slowly considering spinoffs, what with Superman and Lois and the possibility of GA & The Canaries, but I don't think they'll do a Ralph and Sue show while Ralph is so integral to The Flash.

Retired

In actuality, there's only been four live action DC super-hero shows that were created for the CW--ARROW, FLASH, LEGENDS OF TOMORROW and BATWOMAN.* SUPERGIRL was a CBS show that the CW rescued from cancellation. BLACK LIGHTNING was meant for Fox but picked up by CW when Fox nixed it. And STARGIRL is a DC Universe series that will be broadcast the next day on the CW. So, in terms of actually creating DC shows meant for the CW they haven't been very productive.

*Edit: Completely forgot BATWOMAN. I knew there was something I was forgetting but it took me awhile to remember it was BATWOMAN.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 02-25-2020 at 05:58 PM.

I could possible see them going more the Legends way. An 8 episode filler during other shows off time. This would allow Ralph to be on the Flash as needed, but give him the spotlight.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Only if the spin-off will show potential and promise. The producers will then invest in it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    So far i am not really into Sue Dearborn.

I think the whole back and forth between hero and villain ala Catwoman is kinda boring.
    I agree, moreover I find her fighting style ridiculous. Been watching the British Avengers with Steed and Mrs Peel again and her fights are so much better and more believable.

I have no idea in what venue, but I think if there could be a mini-series where they investigate a mystery that would be fun. One case, four weeks or something.(once they actually become a couple) Maybe something between hiatuses.

Retired

It's pretty obvious that Sue isn't a villain. She snatches something from a villain that belongs to another villain that has information encoded in it about a criminal organization. Every other woman on the CW gets to have intense fight scenes and they gave her a cool outfit to wear--just to level her up.

Just about every hero on the CW was mistaken for a criminal when they made their debut. Sue should be no different. The original comics never gave her an origin story (I don't remember if she got one later on)--and the show writers are free to make something up.

My worry for any Elongated CW series is that it would likely have the same formula they use for all the other shows--with any series being about a group of heroes, even if one character is the nominal lead. In the comics, the best Elongated Man stories were about Ralph and Sue travelling from city to city and all around the world, getting drawn into a new mystery wherever they went. That kind of show would have been great as a Quinn Martin, Stephen Canell or Donald Bellisario production--but it's not something the CW is likely to pull off.

What I would like to see is shorter seasons for Flash and other shows, And yeah maybe rotate in another character. I would take 11 episode season of Flash and 11 episode single season of Elongated Man. The maybe the next season 11 episode limited run of Vibe, Killer Frost or Wally West as the alternate show.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I could possible see them going more the Legends way. An 8 episode filler during other shows off time. This would allow Ralph to be on the Flash as needed, but give him the spotlight.
    I could live with/would enjoy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    What I would like to see is shorter seasons for Flash and other shows, And yeah maybe rotate in another character. I would take 11 episode season of Flash and 11 episode single season of Elongated Man. The maybe the next season 11 episode limited run of Vibe, Killer Frost or Wally West as the alternate show.
    Why? What's with the love for shorter seasons?