Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Why? What's with the love for shorter seasons?
    I think the idea is a shorter season = more cohesive story with little to no filler eps.

Retired

The problem with shorter seasons is that--especially in a place like Vancouver--crews need enough work to make it worth their while. If not, they go looking for work elsewhere. They have to pay rent and buy food and they can't survive on three months pay for a year. Series that have more episodes can give them a steady job for a good half of the year. So the longer season series are the ones that hire the best workers. Now if a crew were signed up to work on two series or three series per year--10 + 10 + 10--that could guarantee people enough work for the year that they wouldn't be leaving for better opportunities. But I wonder if that can even be done--if each series is its own entity, there might be difficulty with tax incentives, union contracts, broadcast rights. They could get around this if it was one show, with three different 10 episode arcs per season, in a kind of anthology format.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I think the idea is a shorter season = more cohesive story with little to no filler eps.
    That's hardly always the case though, never mind the times when some of the filler episodes are some of the best of a season.

That's hardly always the case though, never mind the times when some of the filler episodes are some of the best of a season.
    Oh I know, but that's usually what's given as a reason why. That a season meanders cause the writers have too many episodes to work with, and the opposite would be true if they had less episodes. In fact don't people point to the De Voe/Thinker season as "proof" we need shorter seasons?

I think what Flash is doing now is a sort of split format, one villain season premier to mid-season finale, then new villain from mid-season premier to season finale. I guess that's a compromise. I'd like to see that done with the heroes: Barry the primary hero with cameos by Wally for the first half of the season, and the reverse for the second half.

As for this topic: no spinoff for Ralph, remain on Flash. But, I could see Ralph fitting in onboard the Waverider when they shuffle the cast again.

Why? What's with the love for shorter seasons?
    -Bigger special effect budget and more time for them to do special effects
    -Tighter storyline with less filler and aimless arcs
    -Shorten season makes it easier to follow the show and not lose interest, and it is easier to catch up after not watching for awhile.

Those first two things are key just better seasons.

I mean, look at Arrow Season 8. Pretty much a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Disagree - I honestly thought this last season was mostly kind of a meandering path of series nostalgia with no real goal. I get people want some fan service and fond farewells for the final season and all, but there was nothing really moving the plot forward but the big crossover event. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Oh I know, but that's usually what's given as a reason why. That a season meanders cause the writers have too many episodes to work with, and the opposite would be true if they had less episodes. In fact don't people point to the De Voe/Thinker season as "proof" we need shorter seasons?

I think what Flash is doing now is a sort of split format, one villain season premier to mid-season finale, then new villain from mid-season premier to season finale. I guess that's a compromise. I'd like to see that done with the heroes: Barry the primary hero with cameos by Wally for the first half of the season, and the reverse for the second half.

As for this topic: no spinoff for Ralph, remain on Flash. But, I could see Ralph fitting in onboard the Waverider when they shuffle the cast again.
    Eh, I blame the writers/studio/whoever. You could plot out a better and tighter story no matter how many episodes you got. You just get lazy when you have so much time to fill. Shorter seasons just mean they don't have the luxury to do that, but if it wasn't tolerated to begin with it would never be a problem in longer seasons, or at least that's my impression as a nobody not in the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    -Bigger special effect budget and more time for them to do special effects
    -Tighter storyline with less filler and aimless arcs
    -Shorten season makes it easier to follow the show and not lose interest, and it is easier to catch up after not watching for awhile.

Those first two things are key just better seasons.
    Agree on the first, although special effects is not the end all be all. Disagree on the first, shorter seasons can such just as much as long ones. Really disagree on the third, if a show has lost your interest it isn't because of the running time.

I definitely want an Elongated Man and/or Elongated Woman series. They could use the exposure and ideally, for me at least, every DC character should get some time in the spotlight eventually.

In theory, I'd love for EM and Sue to leave Central City, take up residence in a new town, and be a mystery-solving couple as they are in the comics -- kind of a superpowered Nick and Nora Charles.

However, that might throw off the regular Arrowverse viewers as it would be very different than the standard Arrowverse show. The truth is that while EM has been in comics for almost 60 years, he's never had his own ongoing series and doesn't have a Rogues' Gallery to speak of, so if they went the standard superhero route, he'd always be borrowing other heroes' villains.

If they'd be willing to risk a mystery-of-the-week format, I'd love it. I like the puzzle shows like Murder, She Wrote and the Hallmark mysteries, and I don't think EM is the kind of character that would lend itself well to the angsty season-long story arcs of the other Arrowverse shows.

A lighthearted, fun (but not goofy the way EM is sometimes portrayed on Flash), episodic, romantic mystery romp sounds like something I'd like.

Retired

I think it would be easier to do a ten episode ROUTE 66 type show with Ralph and Sue on DC Universe; however, I'd want the actors from THE FLASH to play them and I don't know if we could work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    They don't need more.
    They don't need anything. They could take one show and play nothing but that show continuously.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    I enjoyed season 8 but it's no masterpiece. The fact that the entire season is one big lead up to a crossover hurts it a lot.

might as well give them a DC Universe series, six episode seasons?